Life at Brown during the 08 market crash

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hard to pay for a 4 bedroom 600k home on one income.
Geez
Where the hell you live?
I live in suburbs of Atlanta.
I paid $55k in 1979 1 acre, $130k in 1989 3 acres, $150k and 4 acres (weekend house in mountains), and $330k and 8 acres in 1999 and house has 5600 sq ft.
Housing is no longer an investment ... it's a lifestyle choice. IMO

There probably isn't 20 people in Corporate that live in a $600k house.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Geez
Where the hell you live?
I paid $55k in 1979 1 acre, $130k in 1989 3 acres, $150k and 4 acres (weekend house in mountains), and $330k and 8 acres in 1999 and house has 5600 sq ft.

So every ten years, the price of your house tripled. Did your salary triple as well? May be a lifestyle choice, but who wants to live in a HUD home? Lmao.

542thruNthru

Geez
Where the hell you live?

San Diego. During the highet of the market 4br 1700 square feet houses were selling for 600k easy. Heck a house right now 4br 1350sq ft sells for 550k. These are not even that nice of houses. Add a car payment and kids and you easily lose your home if you can't find a new job in a couple months.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So every ten years, the price of your house tripled. Did your salary triple as well? May be a lifestyle choice, but who wants to live in a HUD home? Lmao.
Those were different houses just moving to more privacy.
These were all nice houses.
The vacation home and main house are not visible from street or from neighbors' houses.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
San Diego. During the highet of the market 4br 1700 square feet houses were selling for 600k easy. Heck a house right now 4br 1350sq ft sells for 550k. These are not even that nice of houses. Add a car payment and kids and you easily lose your home if you can't find a new job in a couple months.
I realized Atlanta was a pretty cheap place for housing.
A lot of the people who moved here when Corporate moved in 2003 had a real problem using all the money they got from selling their houses in Greenwich area.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

It's true the money doesn't equal out the same everywhere. I heard SDiego is a beautiful city! :censored2: if Upstate had his way you guys out in the West would be living in :censored2:ing tents!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I realized Atlanta was a pretty cheap place for housing.
A lot of the people who moved here when Corporate moved in 2003 had a real problem using all the money they got from selling their houses in Greenwich area.
As I remember, housing costs was a major reason Corporate moved to Atlanta.
Nobody wanted to move to Corporate when it was in Greenwich.

I remember when they talked to me about moving to Bergen County, NJ.
No way in hell I was going to move there with their housing prices plus putting up with Yankees.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

It's true the money doesn't equal out the same everywhere. I heard SDiego is a beautiful city! :censored2: if Upstate had his way you guys out in the West would be living in :censored2:ing tents!

I was just about to say something like this. I remember when he said something about if you can't get by on $24 a hour then you need to rethink your spending habits. We can't all live in small towns. Luckily my wife more then doubles my annual salary. She loves California so this is were we are. Happy wife happy life.... and happy little 542thruNthru ;)

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
There is a gap on the FT seniority list in my center around that time where they went a few years without adding any drivers. 2-2.5 years

The gap was just over 4 years in my center. They didn't hire a single full time driver from November 2007 until January 2012. I was the very first driver hired in 2012. Anyhow, at a few points in 2008 and 2009 there were so many lower seniority drivers on the layoff list that they had to start working combo shifts of twilight/night shift to get their hours. There were coworkers of mine who had went driving 2 years before in 2006 that had just made top rate and had to immediately take a massive pay cut to their inside building rate. It was tough times during those years. As an inside PT employee that used to double shift 3 times a week minimum I saw that diminished to only one day of doubling offered a week if I was lucky. It was then that I realized that I needed to go full time as soon as it became available. Those years were rough for a lot of folks and I'm certainly not looking forward to when that happens again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was just about to say something like this. I remember when he said something about if you can't get by on $24 a hour then you need to rethink your spending habits. We can't all live in small towns. Luckily my wife more then doubles my annual salary. She loves California so this is were we are. Happy wife happy life.... and happy little 542thruNthru ;)

What I said was if you can't get by on your current income you need to either increase said income or lower your expenses.

UPS drivers are easily in the top 10% in my area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I bought my condo for $82K in 2005 and plan to list it for $119K in 2018. I have made a ton of improvements and it is a seller's market. The mortgage will have already been paid off and the proceeds will be split evenly between my two children. My son will use his share to pay off his student loans while my daughter plans to use hers as a down payment on a larger home.

My condo is not what you would call upscale but it is hardly a HUD home.