Life only Pension?

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Once you get to the point you can retire anytime you feel like it most of the pressure is off you at work. But it is hard to keep going to work when you know you have the option of calling it quits.
You hit the nail on the head. My last years was the easiest, stress wise, at work because I knew I could leave at any time. After making the decision to retire I would try to enjoy the job as much as possible knowing very soon I would never do this again. Walking back to the truck at the ending of the days I really observed things and had deep thoughts of the decades gone by. I would think of all the things I would never have to do again like deliver at night, dread seeing the rain storm coming, ducking when lightning struck near by, no more helpers or having a supervisor ride with me. It was a really neat time of reflecting. I would also think of things that I enjoyed over the years but as you said I couldn’t do it any longer knowing I could and was fully ready to retire.

quad decade guy

You hit the nail on the head. My last years was the easiest, stress wise, at work because I knew I could leave at any time. After making the decision to retire I would try to enjoy the job as much as possible knowing very soon I would never do this again. Walking back to the truck at the ending of the days I really observed things and had deep thoughts of the decades gone by. I would think of all the things I would never have to do again like deliver at night, dread seeing the rain storm coming, ducking when lightning struck near by, no more helpers or having a supervisor ride with me. It was a really neat time of reflecting. I would also think of things that I enjoyed over the years but as you said I couldn’t do it any longer knowing I could and was fully ready to retire.
I get blasted for still working....

While I'd rather not work.......this IS easy work and lucrative. Relatively stress free. In fact, I don't "mind" going to work. I can retire....as long as the world stays relatively the same.....I've decided that 62 is my number.....3 years in October.

Re-Raise

Once you get to the point you can retire anytime you feel like it most of the pressure is off you at work. But it is hard to keep going to work when you know you have the option of calling it quits.
Exactly!

My last day I told my center manager “You don’t understand that I don’t have to be here!”

He just stared back at me with a blank stare. I called the President of our local and he answered. I asked how much notice I needed to give and he said you can walk over and fill out a resignation letter for retirement right now. Call me back afterwards and we’ll send you the paperwork.

My center manager seemed to hear me a little better when I told him I was gone.It was the week of Thanksgiving!

oldngray

nowhere special
Exactly!

My last day I told my center manager “You don’t understand that I don’t have to be here!”

He just stared back at me with a blank stare. I called the President of our local and he answered. I asked how much notice I needed to give and he said you can walk over and fill out a resignation letter for retirement right now. Call me back afterwards and we’ll send you the paperwork.

My center manager seemed to hear me a little better when I told him I was gone.It was the week of Thanksgiving!
There is a difference between retired and resigned. I retired but someone in HR put resigned in my file and I had to fight for months to get my health insurance straightened out. One office didn't know what another office was doing. I had to go to my HR guy's boss to get the database changed. After someone else figured out what the problem was.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I didn't hang around past my expiration date, once the local told me I had enough hours in for 25 I rolled out. I was talking to a supervisor the previous year and told him I was going as soon as I hit 25 and he was like "Nah, you say that now but once you hit 25 you'll stay because you'll know you can retire anytime and blah blah blah..."
I shoulda made a bet with him.

Re-Raise

There is a difference between retired and resigned. I retired but someone in HR put resigned in my file and I had to fight for months to get my health insurance straightened out. One office didn't know what another office was doing. I had to go to my HR guy's boss to get the database changed. After someone else figured out what the problem was.
I had to fill out a resignation form that morning. For reason, I had to put in “retirement”. I received my first pension check two weeks later for the month of December.

Local Pres texted me back and said be sure and fill out the resignation form..so they wouldn’t try to fire me LOL

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Change involves risks.
I don't know. If I had sat down and calculated everything, I would have probably never quit.
I wasn't being serious. No matter what the numbers are you can "but what if?" yourself into not retiring and that's exactly what a lot of guys do.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I seen a lot of it.
When I first went to feeders there were a bunch of guys who were already eligible for retirement always saying stuff like "I just gotta pay a few more things off and then maybe next year". 7 years later when I retired half those guys were still there, saying the same stuff. Not like any of them really loved the job either, they were always bitching and moaning.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I turned 55 right before Christmas of 2020 and my last day was January 8 2021 with 35 1/2 years of service. I was approved to retire in August of 2020 and the last four months were AWESOME! There is NOTHING in the world like telling your onroad you dont care about his piddily metrics and if he didnt leave me alone I'd make it WAY worse. Come up and waste my time telling me I had two back door infractions and the next day I'd have 70. I paid them back for all of the years of their harassment and intimidation with my own harassment,and going into teh center manager's office was always a ball as I;d put my feet on his desk and tell him I didnt care whatsoever about warning letters. They decided quickly just to wait me out lol

My wife and i have zero debt,large healthy 401K's as well as UPS stock. I took the Survivor's benefit that is only good for five years after my retirement as I feel she is set very well if i pass.

I also encourage anyone that can retire to get out as there is a wonderful life outside of UPS

I turned 55 right before Christmas of 2020 and my last day was January 8 2021 with 35 1/2 years of service. I was approved to retire in August of 2020 and the last four months were AWESOME! There is NOTHING in the world like telling your onroad you dont care about his piddily metrics and if he didnt leave me alone I'd make it WAY worse. Come up and waste my time telling me I had two back door infractions and the next day I'd have 70. I paid them back for all of the years of their harassment and intimidation with my own harassment,and going into teh center manager's office was always a ball as I;d put my feet on his desk and tell him I didnt care whatsoever about warning letters. They decided quickly just to wait me out lol

My wife and i have zero debt,large healthy 401K's as well as UPS stock. I took the Survivor's benefit that is only good for five years after my retirement as I feel she is set very well if i pass.

I also encourage anyone that can retire to get out as there is a wonderful life outside of UPS
Quit talking dirty to me

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
196659764_10220778113183442_8179853866874920298_n.jpg

badpal

When I first went to feeders there were a bunch of guys who were already eligible for retirement always saying stuff like "I just gotta pay a few more things off and then maybe next year". 7 years later when I retired half those guys were still there, saying the same stuff. Not like any of them really loved the job either, they were always bitching and moaning.
Don't knock it ,at my age i am finding out bitching and moaning are one of the few joys i have left . If i retire i loose that.