Loader going to Package in 3 months

DonaruTarampu

Off topic but is there a chart of different UPS package car models? I keep hearing other drivers say stuff like 500, 700 and I always feel like a :censored2: not knowing what the hell they're talking about

Future

Victory Ride
Most buildings have 500,700,800,1000 and 1200 plus the big Bulk vans.
40CCF304-622A-4190-A049-98BAA7D0D5F1.gif

Whither

Scofflaw
My building has like two 700's, a handful of 800's, and the rest 1000's. Guess how many times they send you out in a 1000 to places you can barely get to in a 700.

Even better in a 1200 with heavy pickup volume, then the green light flashes 'Need you to take 15-20 off so-and-so when you're done'.

Spent a good 10 minutes hoofing it into the woods and back to my 800 to deliver an Amazon envelope Monday evening. Single-track gravel/mud driveway off a rural blacktop, had no idea if I'd get stuck or be able to turn around, nor that it was going to be such a hike until I was already committed. Turns out I'd have been fine driving up to the house haha.

DonaruTarampu

Just got a call from my on road supe saying I'm 2nd on the list to start my 30 days. But he recommended I do another round of seasonal driving since I only got to drive a package car for like 5 days throughout the entirety of peak. I told him I'll try my luck and stay on the list. Do you guys think that was a good move? What are your thoughts bros?

Just got a call from my on road supe saying I'm 2nd on the list to start my 30 days. But he recommended I do another round of seasonal driving since I only got to drive a package car for like 5 days throughout the entirety of peak. I told him I'll try my luck and stay on the list. Do you guys think that was a good move? What are your thoughts bros?
Don't pass up the opportunity and let someone else jump ahead of you.

DonaruTarampu

Been training for a week now and I’ve noticed the trainers are much stricter than they were during peak. Between hurrying at every stop and driving quickly but safely, I go home everyday feeling like a delivery machine. Like a robot or something. Much different than peak where I had time to interact a little bit with people and feeling somewhat like a human being. I can do the job, it’s just I now understand when drivers say they feel dead inside or that this is a soul crushing job.

Is feeder any different? Maybe I should go back to my old job and load PT. Could I get my CDL on the side and go to feeder as a PT loader? Or do I have to be a package driver to go into feeder?

Or should I tough it out and make my 30 days and things will get better once I can breathe a little?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Been training for a week now and I’ve noticed the trainers are much stricter than they were during peak. Between hurrying at every stop and driving quickly but safely, I go home everyday feeling like a delivery machine. Like a robot or something. Much different than peak where I had time to interact a little bit with people and feeling somewhat like a human being. I can do the job, it’s just I now understand when drivers say they feel dead inside or that this is a soul crushing job.

Is feeder any different? Maybe I should go back to my old job and load PT. Could I get my CDL on the side and go to feeder as a PT loader? Or do I have to be a package driver to go into feeder?

Or should I tough it out and make my 30 days and things will get better once I can breathe a little?

why would you ask a bunch of strangers on the internet to decide your future?

Whither

Scofflaw

It's better once the sup is off your car.

Qualifying is stressful, and since you're trying to scratch the route, there's no time for mingling. Your first several weeks after qualifying are likely to be stressful too, as you get accustomed to running all types of routes in the blind and dealing with the variety of difficult situations we face, e.g., those first few times you have to get out of the pkg car and size up whether you have clearance, deliveries at the end of a long, narrow dead end street after dark, driving on snow and ice, etc.

It takes time to adapt, to hone your methods and routines, so that you're able to relax into the job and earn your confidence. Remember: "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." And once you've qualified, you won't have to worry about scratching anymore, just be safe and make service.

DonaruTarampu

Didn't have much troubles meeting my scratch days. But :censored2: man, I feel like I've just joined a cult or something. Like a bunch of Scientologists are constantly testing to see if my midichlorian count is high enough to perform their package delivering rituals. Halfway through my 30 days and every morning I wake up thinking if I should just quit and go back to my old job where I'll be making half the pay but feeling like an actual person. Can't wait to make the jump over to feeder.