Loader going to Package in 3 months

Whither

Scofflaw
Thanks bud. The rest of the week wasn't so bad. The sup said I have potential to be a great driver if I learn to get my bearings. It seems I'm still having trouble remembering buildings and their addresses. Gonna do some driving on my day off to get more familiarized with that area.

Hang in there. You'll prolly be surprised how much you can remember, and how many different tasks you can juggle, once you settle in and the basics are routine.

Mgmt has a tendency be overbearing, even cult-like, about the meaning of this job. 5 months in and I've listened to on-cars, HR sups, center mgrs, and the division mgr many times talk about delivery driving as if it's our personal salvation and we'd one and all be doomed without UPS. Ha! On this note, a couple drivers from my training class who also qualified have already quit. Why? Mainly due to stress, frustration, and I'd guess letting this chatter get into their heads. You have a bad day -- going out blind, over-dispatched, businesses buried at the bottom of the manifest, terrible load quality -- and it's easy to start second-guessing your chops.

But. Always 'leave yourself an out.' We're not on some earth-shattering mission; we're just delivering and picking up boxes for a good, reliable paycheck with great benefits. Of course that's nothing to sneeze at, but a little sense of humor goes a long way to put things in perspective.

DonaruTarampu

Had 120 stops and 450 packages in my little UPS truck today. 90% commercials. I was about done getting all my commits off when another driver called to meet up and took like 15 commercial stops off me. Then like 3 hours later while I was starting to do my residentials another driver called to meet up and took another 15 or so off me. Does this mean the center is looking out for me or do they think I'm a :censored2: up? LOL. The first guy had like 120 resi stops and a helper and he got done in 6 hours. I took 10 hours by the time I got back. Feeling like such a noob.

Had 120 stops and 450 packages in my little UPS truck today. 90% commercials. I was about done getting all my commits off when another driver called to meet up and took like 15 commercial stops off me. Then like 3 hours later while I was starting to do my residentials another driver called to meet up and took another 15 or so off me. Does this mean the center is looking out for me or do they think I'm a :censored2: up? LOL. The first guy had like 120 resi stops and a helper and he got done in 6 hours. I took 10 hours by the time I got back. Feeling like such a noob.
They had other drivers that needed more work. Did you ask for help?

Whither

Scofflaw
The first guy had like 120 resi stops and a helper and he got done in 6 hours. I took 10 hours by the time I got back. Feeling like such a noob.

120 resis + a helper should go way quicker than a business route on your own. And remember, you probably spent a half hour if not more meeting up with those 2 drivers and transferring packages. You said little truck -- are they dispatching you 450 pieces in a P-700? If so, I'm sorry.

DonaruTarampu

120 resis + a helper should go way quicker than a business route on your own. And remember, you probably spent a half hour if not more meeting up with those 2 drivers and transferring packages. You said little truck -- are they dispatching you 450 pieces in a P-700? If so, I'm sorry.
Yes, I think it was a p-700
CE5945B4-FFD2-4C2B-973D-870897E06FC5.jpeg

I had to finish loading my own truck. That pic was before irons and a bunch of other crap topped it off

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

They gave you a thrown-together-at-the-last-minute route. The workload was uneven, so they made sure to even it out. 450 pieces is a lot, especially jammed into a 700. Commercial stops take more time than residentials. Don't sweat it. If you want the time, and aren't in danger of missing commits, then you can decline the help.

Whither

Scofflaw
Yes, I think it was a p-700View attachment 274483
I had to finish loading my own truck. That pic was before irons and a bunch of other crap topped it off

"Was the load quality acceptable? Y/N" haha. You're crazy enough to become one of us if a load like that doesn't scare you off. ;) Usually those are the days when trace has a couple stops on your back shelves spliced into your air run haha.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Got sent home today along with what looks like half of other drivers. Is this normal for the day after Christmas?
You might not get back to work for a while. Callbacks are done in seniority order (or supposed to be) The newest driver gets called back last. May have to fall back on that hub gig till it picks up.

PT Car Washer

Got sent home today along with what looks like half of other drivers. Is this normal for the day after Christmas?
Consider yourself lucky. The day after Christmas is route cutting and putting new guys on routes they have never seen. I helped a new girl today with deliveries and all of her pick ups and she was still the last driver in at 8:30 PM.

DonaruTarampu

Went in today and got sent home. Welp, I guess that was it. I signed the bid sheet to be a combo driver last week so hopefully they'll give me a call soon. Gonna miss all that sweet, sweet overtime pay I tell you what.