Loader to Part Time Supervisor..worth it?

slayer

Hey, I just started with UPS in early October. I came in permanent and been loving it. I had previously worked at Home Depot and took the pay drop due to the school benefits. Anyway, I have been working my butt off and I'm still not done with my 40 days. I was told it ends this coming Thursday. I am 24 years old, making minimum wage and that's not too appealing to me. My supervisors have been telling me I should become a part time supervisor after the 40 days. Now, I realize it's non-union and I would probably get **** on by the higher ups, but would it be worth it to step up? I am kind of nervous for the fact that I would have to tell these union guys what to/not to do. I have no problem standing up for myself and watch what I say around who, but I just really want to know the pros and cons of becoming a part time sup.

jaker

trolling
Are you in this company for life or not

If you are here for life then no , if you are only here for a short time then yes

Easy as that

UPSGUY72

Just a short time for when I finish school, maybe a few years. I'd still like to know the pros and cons of it though.

Not warning sign went off in your head as to why would they be asking a person that has been working for less then 2 months if they would like to become a PT SUP....

S

serenity now

you would be perfect * no experience * gung ho * nickname of slayer

put me in coach

jaker

trolling
Just a short time for when I finish school, maybe a few years. I'd still like to know the pros and cons of it though.
Don't worry about the pro's and con's you won't be here long enough to matter , so welcome to being a PT sup

Gazelle

Race me!
You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Your biggest challenge will be gaining respect from your loaders since you haven't been there very long. You have to deal with your FT sup that yells all day, and the union workers that complain all day. You have to get the job done with your words rather than your hands. You can be the best loader in the world but you have to be a good trainer. I'm lucky to have the traits to be a good leader. However I see too many come and go because they aren't effective leaders.

curiousbrain

Hey, I just started with UPS in early October. I came in permanent and been loving it. I had previously worked at Home Depot and took the pay drop due to the school benefits. Anyway, I have been working my butt off and I'm still not done with my 40 days. I was told it ends this coming Thursday. I am 24 years old, making minimum wage and that's not too appealing to me. My supervisors have been telling me I should become a part time supervisor after the 40 days. Now, I realize it's non-union and I would probably get **** on by the higher ups, but would it be worth it to step up? I am kind of nervous for the fact that I would have to tell these union guys what to/not to do. I have no problem standing up for myself and watch what I say around who, but I just really want to know the pros and cons of becoming a part time sup.

Look into how school benefits change for union/management.

H

htown0721

Pro's: quick raise, immediate benefits, vacation, sick days, guarantee of 27.5 per week, resume builder
con's: supervise employees who make more than you, caught in the middle between hourlies and higherups, stress nothing is ever good enough, expected to lie, cheat, and steal, little room for promotion

As a part time sup, I wish I would have stayed hourly but I'm off to bigger and better things in a few months

slayer

I appreciate all of the replies. I would mainly do it because of the pay increase. There is a grant here in Chicago that is called the CRCP and that grant, while working at UPS, is paying for every cent of my schooling whether I am a sup or not. I also thought it would look good on a resume. One of the sups said she would want me to be a sup because I have a great attitude. So, I don't know. We will see. I am going to talk it over a little bit with some coworkers (that I've known for years that work there) and see what happens. Once again I appreciate all the replies! I really don't give a crap what others think about me. I know the union guys will be a hassle, but I'm not a fake person and not afraid to speak to anyone.

UPSGUY72

I appreciate all of the replies. I would mainly do it because of the pay increase. There is a grant here in Chicago that is called the CRCP and that grant, while working at UPS, is paying for every cent of my schooling whether I am a sup or not. I also thought it would look good on a resume. One of the sups said she would want me to be a sup because I have a great attitude. So, I don't know. We will see. I am going to talk it over a little bit with some coworkers (that I've known for years that work there) and see what happens. Once again I appreciate all the replies! I really don't give a crap what others think about me. I know the union guys will be a hassle, but I'm not a fake person and not afraid to speak to anyone.

You must be a yes person.. They like yes people to be SUP's that way they know they can tell them anything and they will do it..

Last edited:

Gazelle

Race me!
I'm confident in myself, I am a good leader. Actually going to school for operations management because it's something I am good at. I have gained the respect from the people I supervise because I am fair and I did the same job for 6 years before going into management.

Gazelle

Race me!
If your a PT SUP your not leading anyone your relaying message and following directions...

I am lucky to have a FTer that allows me to make my own decisions. He literally gives me paperwork, and I am in charge of running the center while he's on his computer

S

serenity now

here's the straight truth * she's offering you the job because she can't get anyone else to take it and you haven't been there long enough to know to stay away from it * that's the truth * weigh all your options and then if you decide to take the position, just give it your best effort * good luck with whatever you decide *

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I say don't do it, since you have no experience at UPS and are asking yourself this question. JMO, if you or most anyone really wanted to become a PT supervisor, you'd make it happen with no questions asked. If you're unsure, it's probably the wrong one, since you don't have near the experience to make an educated decision.

brown_trousers

here's the straight truth * she's offering you the job because she can't get anyone else to take it and you haven't been there long enough to know to stay away from it * that's the truth * weigh all your options and then if you decide to take the position, just give it your best effort * good luck with whatever you decide *

Based on the OP's timeline "a few years to finish college" until he moves on to a different career. I think management is the perfect option. supervisor starting pay at my center (I have a few sources of info on that) is way higher than the wages you would make in your first few years as an hourly. Plus the benefit of writing supervisor on your resume. What would the disadvantage be for a temporary worker like the OP to take advantage of a few years of more money and a better resume before moving on to a different job?