Local 243

browned out

I have a problem with that myself.

Especially, when a panel decision states "Based on the Facts presented in ".

That's not a closed door.

Unless you have a transcript of the actual case.... what are the "Facts" ?

Are the facts of the case, identical to yours ?

And, why would a Local decline to process a grievance because of it ?

Here in 243, the vast majority of grievances are non precedent setting.

They like to use NPS. No Precedent Set
And Based on the Facts presented In This "Instant "Case

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I don't think you know what "duty of fair representation" is.

Your Local hasn't refused to bargain on your behalf....

I still question if he even works at UPS.

He has made several references to UPS facilities as being "barns".

That's a freight term.... that 99.9% of employees would never use.

You just don't want to hear what I have to say.

I'm waiting to hear all about the NLRB charges you are filing with your attorney.

-Bug-

BUG,
I use the term barn sometimes because I learned it from my friends in the local from freight and car haulers and a lot of those guys go to other jobs in the local. We all see each other at the meetings and the guy running the meeting uses the term too so we all learned it when he gives his report.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
BUG,
I use the term barn sometimes because I learned it from my friends in the local from freight and car haulers and a lot of those guys go to other jobs in the local. We all see each other at the meetings and the guy running the meeting uses the term too so we all learned it when he gives his report.

Totally cool... on the terminology.

I just question the use of that, by @browned out.

browned out

Totally cool... on the terminology.

I just question the use of that, by @browned out.

My buddies in feeders call the package car driver position....bundles. As in.... you guys in bundles don't have air in those trucks?

I don't know if using that term is company wide.

I use it sometimes. I knows it's risky to use that jargon.

I would hate for someone to question my 30 year employment at UPS based on my choice of UPS speak.. Do I even work here? lol

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

I have a problem with that myself.

Especially, when a panel decision states "Based on the Facts presented".

That's not a closed door.

Unless you have a transcript of the actual case.... what are the "Facts" ?

Are the facts of the case, identical to yours ?

And, why would a Local decline to process a grievance because of it ?
So...

a (valid) grievance's outcome is subjected to the strength of the representation (in your local) in doing the right thing by the membership.

Why would a local BA drag out grievances from one member for three years without docketing them to the state panel?

It wasnt until out of desperation the grievant filed labor charges (twice in 3 months) at the end of the three year period, sent letters to lots of people you may know concerning the garbage representation from the local, and after they ended finally up in KH hands...the issue got docketed and the grievant won!

Need more examples? We've got a bunch of true stories.
That is our view of the union representation from the bottom up and anything that leans that way outside of our local reinforces the anger, disbelief, and fear for what may happen to this union that so many GREAT people put their futures, family's welfare into...at the risk of their own neck.

The good thing is that no one can break a determined, honest member. That is where our hope lies.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My buddies in feeders call the package car driver position....bundles. As in.... you guys in bundles don't have air in those trucks? I don't know if using that term is company wide.

I can definitely tell you're from Michigan.

That's the only place I've heard packages referred to as bundles.

I would hate for someone to question my 30 year employment at UPS based on my choice of UPS speak.. Do I even work here? lol

Questionable terminology makes me wonder about people.

Being that you reside in that state, home of the TDU.... I'm sure you can see

how I might jump to that conclusion.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Why would a local BA drag out grievances from one member for three years without docketing them to the state panel ?

We've heard @Bubblehead raise the same sort of issues, with grievances not

being heard in a timely manner. I just can't fathom.... how that's even possible.

As I have mentioned before, every Panel has a "rules and procedure" mandate.

After being deadlocked at the local level, if a grievance is not slated within

2 panels.... it's considered untimely and the panel is not obligated to hear it.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As I have mentioned before, every Panel has a "rules and procedure" mandate.

After being deadlocked at the local level, if a grievance is not slated within

2 panels.... it's considered untimely and the panel is not obligated to hear it.

-Bug-
It would be up to the Labor Manager to take a "point of order" if these parameters are breached

....otherwise, the case would be heard, correct???

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It would be up to the Labor Manager to take a "point of order" if these parameters are breached

....otherwise, the case would be heard, correct???

Yep.

I just can't understand how this can happen.

When I was an elected trustee, I was appointed BA to replace another BA who

was having health and family issues. Between me and the Labor guy.... we knocked

out a backlog of 300 grievances (over a year old) in 2 months.

I was trained by an expert.

The company will try and use stalling techniques, if you let them.

When they won't commit to a date and time (per a phone conversation)....

you send them a letter, detailing a list of dates you are available. A paper trail

is a vital step, in a successful NLRB charge.

@Bubblehead

My PayPal account.... has been deactivated.... for lack of use. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep.

was having health and family issues. Between me and the Labor guy.... we knocked

you send them a letter, detailing a list of dates you are available. A paper trail

@Bubblehead

-Bug-
I owe you nothing:wink-very:, as I already knew the answer, (the hard way) from many years ago when my BA failed to docket 27 of my locally deadlocked grievances to the State Panel for two months, then attempted to on the third.

These grievances were promptly declared "improper", when "Joe" took exception.
I believe they were thrown out at Pre-Panel??? (Maybe you were there?)

Now I am going to teach you what you refuse to see....for "free".

When a Labor Manager and Business Agent are entrenched in a "quid pro quo" relationship, they conspire to filibuster the process in the hope that the average member just gives up....forgets, gets frustrated, retires, and hopefully goes away forever.

Then, and only when a member with enormous fortitude and tenacity won't go away, these cohorts reluctantly go forward....without objection or "points of order".

Then when the Union Co-Chair at the Panel is also the BA in another Local that is entrenched in a "quid pro quo" relationship with the very same Labor Manager as well, the cases are "referred back to parties for possible resolution"....over and over again.

In one extreme case I am familiar with, the Panel even helped these shysters out by putting these cases in what's called "Committee Hold" after being docketed for the fourth time in a year and a half.....until NLRB charges were filed.

@BigUnionGuy, sometimes it's not just the Company, it's the Union too.

....sad but true.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

Yep.

@Bubblehead

-Bug-
Who is going to file the nlrb charges? The BA who is in collusion with the labor mgr?

Not one chance.

Our pc steward sat by the BA in a hearing when the center manager told him that he sent 2 supes to driving school to be vacation replacement drivers for the summer.
The steward told him that there were 4 hourly that signed the intent sheet to drive vacation coverage and that if they put supes on the road instead of hourly that he would file for the double time.

The BA looked at the steward and said "well they already sent them to school", agreeing with his buddy the labor mgr.

The steward looked the BA in the eye and said "who pays your wages?!".

Thanks to the steward none of the supes drove.

Want some more teamster strength (true) stories?

F

Frankie's Friend

How interesting that @Bubblehead posted a parallel situation 14 minutes before my post.
I didnt read his until I replied with mine to @BigUnionGuy 's response.
Hopefully judgement day is coming soon.
Then I'll change my screen name.

Screenshot_20180915-122747_Google.jpg

Call myself @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U or Gumby or something like that.

browned out

Who is going to file the nlrb charges? The BA who is in collusion with the labor mgr?

Not one chance.

Our pc steward sat by the BA in a hearing when the center manager told him that he sent 2 supes to driving school to be vacation replacement drivers for the summer.
The steward told him that there were 4 hourly that signed the intent sheet to drive vacation coverage and that if they put supes on the road instead of hourly that he would file for the double time.

The BA looked at the steward and said "well they already sent them to school", agreeing with his buddy the labor mgr.

The steward looked the BA in the eye and said "who pays your wages?!".

Thanks to the steward none of the supes drove.

Want some more teamster strength (true) stories?

Same thing in 243. The stewards are constantly running into resistance from the local. The Labor Managers and the BAs have been buddies for decades.

They throw grievants cases out at the drop of a hat. Company point of order Upheld.

Then the local allows UPS to run rough shot over the members. Clear cut violations of the CBA are ignored. Members are told by the Union to drop it. Stewards are being told by the union to shut up when the stewards point out specific violations at panel hearings.

It is a disgrace. Could you imagine being a fly on the wall in the meetings of these colluding labor managers and BA's?

And as was mentioned in the earlier post. The union members on the panels are a big part of the problem. Many of these panel level grievance hearing outcomes are predetermined. The Local sometimes puts on a good show to avoid a DFR suit. But they already know the outcome. The panel is basically immune from be held to any sense of accountability.

I may change my bc name to SickofIt Jr.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

Same thing in 243. The stewards are constantly running into resistance from the local. The Labor Managers and the BAs have been buddies for decades.

They throw grievants cases out at the drop of a hat. Company point of order Upheld.

Then the local allows UPS to run rough shot over the members. Clear cut violations of the CBA are ignored. Members are told by the Union to drop it. Stewards are being told by the union to shut up when the stewards point out specific violations at panel hearings.

It is a disgrace. Could you imagine being a fly on the wall in the meetings of these colluding labor managers and BA's?

And as was mentioned in the earlier post. The union members on the panels are a big part of the problem. Many of these panel level grievance hearing outcomes are predetermined. The Local sometimes puts on a good show to avoid a DFR suit. But they already know the outcome. The panel is basically immune from be held to any sense of accountability.

That rots the union from the inside out.
Pathetic.

browned out

243 has a stewards meeting Sunday to discuss the NLRB ULP charge, changes is any in the supplement/rider and the re-viote. Then Tuesday the Individual Stewards will meet with the drivers in the AM at the centers. The part time stewards will update the part timers as well.

The meeting with the drivers is Tuesday because of the already low driver staffing on Mondays. 30% of the drivers wouldn't be there to hear it. Routes cut and Monday lay offs will only increase with the implementation of the 22.4s.

I will update later in the week.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

That's a lot of speculation.... or a distorted sense of perception.

243 has a stewards meeting Sunday to discuss the NLRB ULP charge, changes is any in the supplement/rider and the re-viote. Then Tuesday the Individual Stewards will meet with the drivers in the AM at the centers. The part time stewards will update the part timers as well.

A Stewards "only" meeting for an update ? That sounds odd.

Where is the accountability.... that every member had the opportunity to hear

the Steward explain the situation ? And, is the Steward reading a printed copy

of the Local Union's information or a recollection of the meeting they attended ?

That's bizarre.

Schedule a membership craft meeting....

Post a notice on the Union board at every location....

People that want to be there, will be.

-Bug-