Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

BootsOnTarmac

So what do you get for your $500.00 initiation fee plus $54.00 per month?
Your just part time at $11.00 per hour. Why is the union preying on the lower class, most likely, uneducated willing to work? For the initiation fee they have to work 45+ hours just to pay that. I bet the turnover is huge up to and beyond 31 days. Looks like just a money grab for the union, shameful.

542thruNthru

I have to admit $500 for initiation fees is ridiculous. Can someone explain why its.$500? I live in California and it's only $100 so I can't imagine it's because of property values or cost of living.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
What I have never understood is why is it the Unions interest to keep PT wages so low?

This thread is actually a perfect example of why the Union likes low PT wages.

If you made 500 dollars per new hire, or 54 dollars per month per employee you keep, it makes far more sense to keep the new people rolling through. If the working conditions are bad, and they get chump change, they'll quit on their own. And in walks another 500 dollars for the union.

My local doesn't charge that much. But we went through probably 4 dozen? ish people at my center over peak. That would be $24,000 paid to local 25.

If UPS actually kept part timers, the union would lose a lot of money. Nice that UPS and the union found common ground, huh? They both like to exploit part timers.

F

Frankie's Friend

What I have never understood is why is it the Unions interest to keep PT wages so low?
Residual income.

If you made 500 dollars per new hire, or 54 dollars per month per employee you keep, it makes far more sense to keep the new people rolling through. If the working conditions are bad, and they get chump change, they'll quit on their own. And in walks another 500 dollars for the union.

My local doesn't charge that much. But we went through probably 4 dozen? ish people at my center over peak. That would be $24,000 paid to local 25.

If UPS actually kept part timers, the union would lose a lot of money. Nice that UPS and the union found common ground, huh? They both like to exploit part timers.
Low hanging fruit.

F

Frankie's Friend

Ever see our leader beating his fist on the podium on tv and cussing the Republicans ("SOBs")
for screwing the blue collar workers?
Can't have it both ways.

I still say that the supes caught working should pay the dues for the month they did bargaining unit work in as well then.

PT Car Washer

I have to admit $500 for initiation fees is ridiculous. Can someone explain why its.$500? I live in California and it's only $100 so I can't imagine it's because of property values or cost of living.
In my RTW state the initiation fee for PT is like $20. I assume it is the same for FT. Most PT eventually do join and almost all FT join.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's in the Local's bylaws.... which are subsequently approved by the IBT.

It would take a motion to be made (and read) at 3 consecutive membership

meetings and then voted on by the members to change it.

That $500 initiation fee is steep, but applies to all new members.

Not just part-time UPS people. But, the Local dropped the ball on this.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

PT Car Washer

So is the Union in business to make a profit or to represent its members?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
UPS says the union reinstated the payment plan after it collected all of the fees and dues. Because of the pending NLRB cases, the Teamsters had no comment.

"The Teamsters" have had "no comment" since the story broke, long before any NLRB charges were filed.

The more time that passes with them saying nothing in their own defense, the more deafening it gets.

....while reflecting poorly on us all in the interim.

cachmeifucan

Hey I don't feel bad for the new hires who are getting the bonus out there. But it is definitely way to much. If they went to nlrb and file a wage claim form maybe that would help

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
"The Teamsters" have had "no comment" since the story broke, long before any NLRB charges were filed.

The more time that passes with them saying nothing in their own defense, the more deafening it gets.

....while reflecting poorly on us all in the interim.

How the great and powerful "OZ" deals with it....

Is their business.

It's a poor reflection, on someone (TDU) trying to reform anything.