Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

brownIEman

You mean the money that UPS was holding out on the union for employees for 2 years? That money? Believe the one sided news story all you want

Hmm, how would UPS hold out for 2 years on money from peak temps hired in October?
That's what this thread is about.

Expecting UPS to forward dues to a local for employees that won't be hired for another year and three quarters strikes me as a tad unreasonable.

Boston25

Hmm, how would UPS hold out for 2 years on money from peak temps hired in October?
That's what this thread is about.

Expecting UPS to forward dues to a local for employees that won't be hired for another year and three quarters strikes me as a tad unreasonable.
It is more than temp hires. There's more to the story than the news article is saying. I posted above there are workers currently working at UPS in Local 25 jurisdiction that hadn't had dues taken out cause HR kept failing to turn in dues applications. We had guys go down to the hall and pay the whole initiation fee up front because it wasn't being taken out by UPS.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Right or wrong....

You can't argue, with results.

Teamsters Local 25 Charlestown Massachusetts
img.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Maybe....

You think Local Union autonomy is a bad thing ?
I do....in this instance, while continuing to assert that there are many other "autonomous" issues, like this one, that should be handled uniformly nationwide.

Because at the end of the day this not only gives Local 25 a "black eye", it also damages the public perception of the IBT, and the labor movement as a whole.

~Bbbl~™

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You mean the money that UPS was holding out on the union for employees for 2 years? That money? Believe the one sided news story all you want
It is more than temp hires. There's more to the story than the news article is saying. I posted above there are workers currently working at UPS in Local 25 jurisdiction that hadn't had dues taken out cause HR kept failing to turn in dues applications. We had guys go down to the hall and pay the whole initiation fee up front because it wasn't being taken out by UPS.
I tried to get you to answer this question in the other thread, to no avail, so I will try again:
....yet for some reason, in every story I have watched or read, "the Union has declined to comment"???

Are you disputing that as well?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I do....in this instance, while continuing to assert that there are many other "autonomous" issues, like this one, that should be handled uniformly nationwide.

Because at the end of the day this not only gives Local 25 a "black eye", it also damages the public perception of the IBT, and the labor movement as a whole.

~Bbbl~™

OZ

brownIEman

A wise man once told me, if someone in a relationship is treating you poorly for an extended time and you do nothing about it, after enough time it's not just the other person's fault any more. I would consider 2 years long enough to not just be UPS' fault anymore.

In just a couple weeks of the current issue, there is already an NLRB case number against the local. If UPS has been sandbagging the local for 2 years, what is that NLRB case number against UPS? Seems like the members would owe the local back dues and UPS would owe interest and penalties in a slam dunk case, if what you're claiming is true. So, what's the case number so we can look it up?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A wise man once told me, if someone in a relationship is treating you poorly for an extended time and you do nothing about it, after enough time it's not just the other person's fault any more. I would consider 2 years long enough to not just be UPS' fault anymore.

In just a couple weeks of the current issue, there is already an NLRB case number against the local. If UPS has been sandbagging the local for 2 years, what is that NLRB case number against UPS? Seems like the members would owe the local back dues and UPS would owe interest and penalties in a slam dunk case, if what you're claiming is true. So, what's the case number so we can look it up?
All of that aside, and it's a series of good observations and questions, how does that justify the fleecing seasonal workers?

Yolo

A few teamsters being behind in union dues doesn't justify stealing an entire temp hire's paycheck. You belong in prison!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Anyone know how many seasonals were hired? News story said thousands.
That seems high to me too, but then again I have no way of knowing.

I would "guestimate" near a thousand seasonals were hired in my local?

What number would make what Local 25 did acceptable for you?

Skooney

The article is about the seasonal temps that the local took money from. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Your local :censored2:ed up, and you should pay those people their money.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
That seems high to me too, but then again I have no way of knowing.

I would "guestimate" near a thousand seasonals were hired in my local?

What number would make what Local 25 did acceptable for you?
Well, unfortunately we don’t have all the facts. I have a few questions of my own, that I’m sure will be answered in time. Until then I’d rather not speculate. Who classifies the employee as seasonal vs permanent?