Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There should never be a situation where seasonal employees have to goto the NLRB to get their paychecks from the union. What local 25 did was awful. I hope for the sake of our union they dont pull this nonsense again.
People at our building were having a good chuckle about it when it happened. It is the northeast though, just read some of the posts in this thread for a taste. Selfish and cold

Boston25

Not shocking. You should check out the salary increases of our local since 2008. President jumped from 128k to 177k. BA's all near or over 150k
Regardless of whether you want to admit it BIrv the Local 25 agents and officers work very hard at representing the membership. Why don’t you tell everyone on here how you have been fired how many times? And who got you your job back every single time? If it wasn’t for the union your ass would’ve been canned a long time ago. But instead of being grateful you continue to come on here and bash the agents and the stewards in your building.

Boston25

Because they are seasonal employees who have little to no chance of being retained after Peak is over and have zero support from the union if something happens during their brief stay with us. This is gouging, pure and simple, and is not the way to start a potential life long relationship.
In New England the buildings cannot be staffed so anyone that’s hired during that period is kept on as a permanent employee after peak.

Justaloader

Aside from the negotiated rate of pay and the defined time period in which they will work, what are these temporary, seasonal employees getting for their dues money?

....let alone this "initiation fee" to an organization which they have no expectation of joining once the Peak Season ends???

What am I missing?

Do they have a choice to take any other pay rate? It's not like they can walk in and say "Ok, if I agree to pay dues, I get paid $14.00 an hour. However, if I opt out and want nothing to do with the union, I have to settle for $11.00". You get paid what the union negotiated for regardless of if you opt in or out. So, seasonals paying dues and initiation fees for something that has absolutely nothing to do with them.....in my opinion....is senseless, unless they are guaranteed a position after the "seasonal" period ends, and agree to stay with UPS. IMO, the way I'd handle that, is not charge them dues during the seasonal timeframe. If they stay on after seasonal time ends, then collect dues accordingly (as they will have made their 30 and or 60 day waiting period at that point anyhow).

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Do they have a choice to take any other pay rate? It's not like they can walk in and say "Ok, if I agree to pay dues, I get paid $14.00 an hour. However, if I opt out and want nothing to do with the union, I have to settle for $11.00". You get paid what the union negotiated for regardless of if you opt in or out. So, seasonals paying dues and initiation fees for something that has absolutely nothing to do with them.....in my opinion....is senseless, unless they are guaranteed a position after the "seasonal" period ends, and agree to stay with UPS. IMO, the way I'd handle that, is not charge them dues during the seasonal timeframe. If they stay on after seasonal time ends, then collect dues accordingly (as they will have made their 30 and or 60 day waiting period at that point anyhow).

never happen

it makes way to much sense

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
How much of your dues went to tdu this month ? The only splitting of the wig happens when you leave town for the weekend. Ask the boss about it

Just a short guy from Boston with crime family ties. He’s still a bully and allows contract language that most locals fight.
Part time feeder drivers in local 25? Yes he allows PART TIME FEEDER DRIVERS
02279A0F-8702-4DAD-AD98-CFCCC630F13B.png
How many names are you going to come up with? This is exactly why you have been fired.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
They stated up front that if you did not stay on after peak, you would have to go to the union to get the initiation fees paid back to you

That's the first I've heard they could be reimbursed.

Either way, $500 is a crazy amount and is total money grab from the union since part-time turnover is so high. $500 for an off-the-street full-time hire would be reasonable but not for part-time employees who have already been sold out with two-tier wages and a long progression if they ever go full-time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, it is shameless money grab and the vast majority of seasonals have no intention of staying at UPS or even another union job. It's generally cash for the holidays to make a kids Christmas brighter. Which really grinches up the cash grab that much more.

Method Mensch

That's the first I've heard they could be reimbursed.

Either way, $500 is a crazy amount and is total money grab from the union since part-time turnover is so high. $500 for an off-the-street full-time hire would be reasonable but not for part-time employees who have already been sold out with two-tier wages and a long progression if they ever go full-time.
I would have an issue if they weren't up front about it, but that's not the case. I'm Local 25 and went through the new hire process. I distinctly remember signing an acknowledgement that I would be having initiation fees pulled out of my pay, and would have to contact the union to be reimbursed for that in the case that I didn't stay on as a permanent employee.

Furthermore, my local fights like hell for me and my coworkers and the New England Supplement seems well negotiated to me. I definitely get my money's worth. Try to find a comparable non- union job with the same pay, benefits and work rules. Good luck.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can only assume that you conjured up this scenario as an employee in a Right To Work state?

Here, like in Local 25, seasonal employees at UPS have no choice to "opt-in or out".

Take the job and you "opt-in"....hence the controversy and this thread.

Justaloader

I can only assume that you conjured up this scenario as an employee in a Right To Work state?

Here, like in Local 25, seasonal employees at UPS have no choice to "opt-in or out".

Take the job and you "opt-in"....hence the controversy and this thread.

I didn't conjure it. I live in Pennsylvania - and I was given the choice to opt in or out when I was hired. Pennsylvania is not a right to work state - we are what's called at "at-will" state. I brought this up in another thread - then one in which the guy asked about leaving the union and all hell broke loose - and it seemed the proverbial light bulb kicked on for everyone after reading that question. People that work in my hub get the same payrate regardless of Union affiliation, and have the option to, like I said, opt-in, or opt-out.