Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

Mart Man

Hello,

My name is Austin and I just recently started working as a seasonal part-time package handler for a UPS facility in Massachusetts back in late October. When I was hired the company had made it clear to me on my first day that the job was seasonal, however, I would still need to begin paying an initiation fee to the Local 25 Teamsters Union. The initiation fee is $500.

On my first day I was provided with union paperwork which I read thoroughly and signed off on. In the paper work it stated that the initiation fee was $500, however the Teamsters recognized that a part-time employee is financially unable to pay $500 upfront, so the fee was broken down into 15 and a half weeks of 32$ payments.

To mine surprise, when I received my pay check today it stated $0. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then other employees started expressing similar concerns saying either the majority or the entirety of their paycheck had been drained, even their attendance bonuses. In my paystub it clearly stated that the entire amount of my paycheck was deducted for Union dues.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Upon everyone receiving their paychecks, a mob began to form in the middle of the building, all employees upset that their entire pay checks had been drained due two union dues. It also appeared that no one seemed to know why this had happened.

Upon speaking with management, they had assured us that they had no idea that this was going to happen and that for the last 20 years an event like this had never taken place before. They then went on to say that union dues had always been taken out in incremental amounts until completed, never has employees checks been completely drained.

Management then referred employees affected by this issue to their union stewards. Now the mob switched their attention from management to the stewards standing by. The stewards seemed to have no idea that this was going to happen and could offer no explanation. Some of them even tried to shift the blame from the Union to UPS and Human Resources. After the crowd calmed down, we were given the Union Halls number which I immediately picked up my phone and called.

A women picked up and assured me that she had been receiving calls all day regarding the issue and could do nothing for me but take my name and number and refer it to the business rep. She said that the contract states that after 31 days the union has the right to take any remaining dues in full. I then proceeded to tell her that in the paper work I signed states the fee would be broken down into payments. To that, she had no comment. I then asked her who in the Union made this decision and she said that she did not know, but she felt terrible for those employees.

Now, the reason why I am on Browncafe today is to see if anyone else from another Union did or has experienced a similar issue before? It seems to me almost criminal to take someone's entire weeks pay check at the beginning of the month when bills are due, just a few weeks before Christmas, especially when they are seasonal employees and will most likely never be able to take advantage of the benefits. For me, it wasn't as much of a big deal because I have a full-time job during the day and only picked up this job to help make some additional income for the holiday season and get in shape. I saw one employee crying because she had children at home to feed and was living paycheck to paycheck.

I also did a little research on Google and found an article from November 2018 stating that the Local 25 teamsters union was $5B in debt for their pension plan. Maybe there is a link between this event?

Please no trolls!

I don't believe there is any connection between Union dues and the pension but this situation could be considered slavery. Is anyone going back next week to work just to have another weeks wages paid to the Teamster Union?

Mart Man

I don't believe there is any connection between Union dues and the pension but this situation could be considered slavery. Is anyone going back next week to work just to have another weeks wages paid to the Teamster Union?

Some people walked off the job. I’m still debating if I will be returning to work next week because the stewards said that there is a good chance that they will do the same thing for the remaining balance next week..

Some people walked off the job. I’m still debating if I will be returning to work next week because the stewards said that there is a good chance that they will do the same thing for the remaining balance next week..
I wonder what the reaction would be if this was reported on your local news channel. Why would you bust your butt all week just to donate your paycheck to the Teamsters? Might as well walk around and pick up pop cans for the deposit money. Better hours and better pay.

542thruNthru

Hello,

My name is Austin and I just recently started working as a seasonal part-time package handler for a UPS facility in Massachusetts back in late October. When I was hired the company had made it clear to me on my first day that the job was seasonal, however, I would still need to begin paying an initiation fee to the Local 25 Teamsters Union. The initiation fee is $500.

On my first day I was provided with union paperwork which I read thoroughly and signed off on. In the paper work it stated that the initiation fee was $500, however the Teamsters recognized that a part-time employee is financially unable to pay $500 upfront, so the fee was broken down into 15 and a half weeks of 32$ payments.

To mine surprise, when I received my pay check today it stated $0. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then other employees started expressing similar concerns saying either the majority or the entirety of their paycheck had been drained, even their attendance bonuses. In my paystub it clearly stated that the entire amount of my paycheck was deducted for Union dues.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Upon everyone receiving their paychecks, a mob began to form in the middle of the building, all employees upset that their entire pay checks had been drained due two union dues. It also appeared that no one seemed to know why this had happened.

Upon speaking with management, they had assured us that they had no idea that this was going to happen and that for the last 20 years an event like this had never taken place before. They then went on to say that union dues had always been taken out in incremental amounts until completed, never has employees checks been completely drained.

Management then referred employees affected by this issue to their union stewards. Now the mob switched their attention from management to the stewards standing by. The stewards seemed to have no idea that this was going to happen and could offer no explanation. Some of them even tried to shift the blame from the Union to UPS and Human Resources. After the crowd calmed down, we were given the Union Halls number which I immediately picked up my phone and called.

A women picked up and assured me that she had been receiving calls all day regarding the issue and could do nothing for me but take my name and number and refer it to the business rep. She said that the contract states that after 31 days the union has the right to take any remaining dues in full. I then proceeded to tell her that in the paper work I signed states the fee would be broken down into payments. To that, she had no comment. I then asked her who in the Union made this decision and she said that she did not know, but she felt terrible for those employees.

Now, the reason why I am on Browncafe today is to see if anyone else from another Union did or has experienced a similar issue before? It seems to me almost criminal to take someone's entire weeks pay check at the beginning of the month when bills are due, just a few weeks before Christmas, especially when they are seasonal employees and will most likely never be able to take advantage of the benefits. For me, it wasn't as much of a big deal because I have a full-time job during the day and only picked up this job to help make some additional income for the holiday season and get in shape. I saw one employee crying because she had children at home to feed and was living paycheck to paycheck.

I also did a little research on Google and found an article from November 2018 stating that the Local 25 teamsters union was $5B in debt for their pension plan. Maybe there is a link between this event?

Please no trolls!

We've had issues like this in my local. It's usually just a clerical error. I'm sure with such a large number of people affected by it that the local will work to fix the issue ASAP.

I disagree with seasonals paying initiation fees but I laugh at the thought of this being thought of as a criminal act.

Also union dues do not go towards the pension.

Feederquacker

And those are the guys that protect you right, to bad in Mass you can’t withdraw from the union

It's a obvious mistake and will be corrected.

How bout this..... tell them up front that the Union is going to take 100% of their first 2-3 checks. Then see how many people decide to stay knowing that most likely they will not be employed by UPS after December. This is one of those situations where the Union is 100% wrong in taking money from them. They are temporary workers with no seniority. I’m willing to bet that IF someone took this situation to a Judge, it would be found to be illegal. These seasonal workers don’t get the benefit of our collective bargaining. They shouldn’t have to pay for it until they gain seniority. If you think they should be forced to pay, then that makes you an :censored2: and a crook! And you can ****

Last edited by a moderator:

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
All deductions are done by Finance/payroll. Ask your supervisor to send an inquiry as to why that happened. Lately there have been A LOT of mistakes with employees checks, from basic overtime calculations to nonpayment of bonus compensation.

RolloTony Brown Town

All deductions are done by Finance/payroll. Ask your supervisor to send an inquiry as to why that happened. Lately there have been A LOT of mistakes with employees checks, from basic overtime calculations to nonpayment of bonus compensation.

I’ve done the inquiry already and spoke with finance. The union locals communicate what deductions need to be made and the company makes said deductions. Local 25 fouled up. Plain and simple.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
what happened to no union dues or initiation fees until you make book? what happened to no making book during the free period? that's why they call it the friggin free period! this is some simple * that should be nationwide

Last edited by a moderator:

Boston25

I’ve done the inquiry already and spoke with finance. The union locals communicate what deductions need to be made and the company makes said deductions. Local 25 fouled up. Plain and simple.

You did the inquiry? So your obviously management. Are you the same guy that told me Local 25 has direct access to UPS' payroll? If that was the case then we would be taking every ones checks all the time. Just remember UPS made this same error years ago. I was told by finance when I went into work that it was human resources and payroll that dropped the ball. Don't say it wasn't payrolls fault cause they can't pay anyone correctly.

Boston25

Hello,

Please no trolls!

If you also do your research you would know the dues have nothing to do with pension contributions. I'm not disagreeing with anyone it's a bad deal to happen to employees especially before Christmas.

Boston25

$500 for the right to work a seasonal pt job for what $10.50/hr? Teamsters L O :censored2:ing L

You support freeloaders? It sucks that these employees lost most if not all of their checks but you don't think that a employee working in a union job should have to pay union dues? Regardless of what time of the year it is. Most people don't realize it but Chelmsford is a dumpster fire to say the least. Most of these employees if not all of these employees will still be there after peak.

Yolo

You support freeloaders? It sucks that these employees lost most if not all of their checks but you don't think that a employee working in a union job should have to pay union dues? Regardless of what time of the year it is. Most people don't realize it but Chelmsford is a dumpster fire to say the least. Most of these employees if not all of these employees will still be there after peak.

How are they freeloaders? They worked and were paid $0.00. That's slavery.

Boston25

How are they freeloaders? They worked are were paid $0.00. That's slavery.
Working a union job and they shouldn't have to pay dues? That's freeloading. It isn't right that their whole check is gone but UPS dropped the ball on that one.

Yolo

When you get pissed off because it looks like your preloader didn't give a :censored2:. Just remember bull:censored2: like this is why he doesn't give a :censored2:.