Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Mart Man, Dec 7, 2018.

?

How do you feel about this situation?

1. Totally Wrong

79.5%
  2. Justifiable

20.5%
  1. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your local sucks.

2. Future

Future Victory Ride

One step closer 2 you my friend

3. Feederquacker

Feederquacker Member

L
    Working a union job and they shouldn't have to pay dues? That's freeloading. It isn't right that their whole check is gone but UPS dropped the ball on that one./QUOTE]

Nope. Not freeloading. Not even close. The problem with your point of view is the idea that a seasonal worker owes the Union anything. Maybe they will be employed by UPS after and maybe they won’t. Either way you are saying they owe the Union $500 for the privilege to go to work. Plus you are implying they should be grateful for the opportunity to work here and they shouldn’t complain about paying into the Union even if they don’t come back after peak. They shouldn’t have to pay :censored2: until they are going to gain seniority. Not to mention there is virtually zero protections for seasonal workers. In over 25 years I’ve never seen the Union go to bat for a peak hire. But here’s one for ya...... if they don’t come back after peak, will the Union give them their money back? The answer is not just no but HELL NO!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

ba69f4b2a82259c286202043cf48b680.gif

5. I know very well what happened... The company screwed up and screwed workers. Not shocking. The company ought to pay the workers that money back themselves since they didn’t take it out on time and it was contractually owed. I know stewards who asked casuals/seasonals every week for the last two almost 3 WEEKS since thanksgiving “hey are your dues getting taken out? Cause if not watch out.” And everyone yes’d them to death and now the chickens have come home to roost in the form of UPS playing the grinch.
    For those that are crying foul and blaming the union remember this: the union submits (likely automated/computer generated) spreadsheets to the COMPANY as to what is owed... it is then the COMPANY’S duty to properly deduct and remit what is contractually owed. The union can’t deduct anything out of your checks. Only the company can and they did... Late and in bulk. So let’s not be blaming the union for this because if casuals didn’t pay dues and have a chance to make book, UPS would use them 24/7 and everyone on here would be out a good union job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. They've had to refund all the dues and initiation fees here so much that they quit charging then until they end up retained or called back for a permanent job.

7. The THEY you speak of is the company.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Many of these seasonals are just looking for extra money for Christmas gifts and when they lose so much of their checks to dues and fees they feel kicked in the stomach. It's not why they came to work there in the first place.

9. tiknan_tono

tiknan_tono New Member

So ups pays the union through electronic injection via the TITAN system. When UPS hired you, the clock started running down on your thirty day free period. What this translates to is if UPS hired you in the middle of October, but you did not start working until November, there is no way for the union to know this; your dues would start coming out for November. So take $22.00 in dues and tack on two $36.00 payments for initiation and there goes your check. It is a major flaw in the system. I am against seasonal employees paying initiation, but I do think you should pay dues. A nice little compromise. Unfortunately this is a fairly commmon issue and can be remedied by contacting the secretary-treasurer, in your case Thomas Mari.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Preventable

Preventable Member

This actually kind of makes me sick to my stomach... The mental gymnastics required to justify this (most of you agree thankfully) are kind of ridiculous. Making whatever wages they are, a lot of them are barely scrapping by. Imagine if you had $0 paycheck, how would that affect your life? I got lucky and I am very financially sound right now throwing money around like there is no tomorrow (dumb I know), but 2 years ago not getting a paycheck= past due on electricity, water, gas etc late on rent then its a $75 dollar late fee, LOL at you guys talking about Christmas presents... I hope these guys don't have kids that need to be fed.

11. And it’s UPS’s fault for not taking it out properly cause these seasonals (some repeats) were well aware of it coming in. This is not the local’s fault. The company screwed this up-they’ve done it in the past as well.

12. wide load

wide load Starting wage is a waste of time.

Oh please. *. You clowns love to harp on a clerical error as criminal activity. The facts are, the people in HR are just going with the flow. They aren’t distinguishing between a regular hire and seasonal. Don’t you find it odd that it’s happening in the same division? Same HR people. Multiple buildings with 2 different locals. But yet this is all Sean’s fault? Are you the scarecrow from the wizard of oz?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2018
  13. They are flagged as seasonal from the get go here.
    The paycheck debacle is ongoing for seniority employees as well. But are the supes that work paying union dues too???
    We had two supes sent to LouKy to work. One in the Centennial Hub this summer and one just got back from delivering down there. Are they paying union dues??? I think not.

Imo the employees that attain seniority should pay the fees and dues. In the case where they get representation it is a different issue.

14. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

I agree.

If you working in a union shop, doing union work for union scale, you should pay monthly dues.

....but to "initiate" someone before they gain seniority is more aptly termed as hazing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Let's make sure the management is paying dues and initiation fees when they work at peak as well.
    What was that description???
    "Low hanging fruit ".

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

That's a nice thought, but the reality is different.

Supervisors working during peak, is the result of a few things:

1) The company intentionally understaffing the operation.

Based on how many people you see taking the tour, that's not reality.

2) People signing up to "double shift" and not showing up.

Happens every Saturday and Sunday sort.

3) Part-time employee's that don't realize.. during peak.. it's not part-time.

Hence the reason, for overtime.

-Bug-

17. zjchrissy

zjchrissy New Member

Hi Austin! I believe we work at the same facility......I'm here also trying to figure out what to do since we've been working our butts off all week 1 am till9 for zero pay...I was depending on that money fr Christmas....I called the union and their response was well its the companies fault they should have been deducting all along, how that answer makes sense to them is confusing when without warning they tool all our money....I am trying to figure out how to bring this to major attention bc I need the money and I am not working for free....this was wrong and we got screwed big time....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  18. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

I think he's talking about supervisors who are put on at the beginning of
    Peak and drive a route daily for the duration of the season.

The Company often does this before promoting part supervisors to full time.

19. Boston25

Boston25 Active Member

How are we a criminal organization when we were suppose to be legally get the dues they were entitled to? But UPS was screwing it up not just with the new hires for peak but with regular seniority employees as well? It's UPS to blame once again...before you call us a criminal organization look into some of the criminal records of supervisors and managers in Chelmsford. We have raised millions and continue to for children with autism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. zjchrissy

zjchrissy New Member

hi there! the same happened to me and when I called the union they said dues were to be removed and basically they pointed the finger at each other.....I was supposed to get a phone call back and no one ever called me back......slave labor is right.....working 1:30 - 9 am shifts, then working a my other job and taking care of my family, thinking I'm brining in extra money only for them to blind side us...many were also told 6 days a week....we all got no pay....no warning......no explanation .......and not sure where to turn for help.....I don't think its a clerical error...I think they knew exactly what they were doing.....