Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Stole? We’re they doing bargaining unit work? Tell me why they shouldn’t pay initiation or dues?
What are they being "initiated" into?

Doing "bargaining unit" work makes temporary, seasonal employees liable for "dues", but to "initiate" them before they are actually members is better termed as hazing.

It's a bad look for the Teamsters and Organized Labor in today's climate,....in my honest opinion.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Stole? We’re they doing bargaining unit work? Tell me why they shouldn’t pay initiation or dues?

I start my new UPS seasonal job in the middle of November hoping I get 7 weeks of work. At that point I sign off agreeing to pay $32 per week towards their rediculous $500 initiation fee knowing I would only pay $32 for each week worked. After 3 weeks working the union decides I should pay all $500 right now...do you not see the issue?

7x $32 = $224 in initiation fees the employee should have paid before losing their seasonal job vs. the $500 the union actually took from them. IMO, the local would have STOLEN $276 from that seasonal employee. Do you see this differently?

I-Team: Seasonal UPS Workers Had Almost Entire Paychecks Handed Over To Union

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I start my new UPS seasonal job in the middle of November hoping I get 7 weeks of work. At that point I sign off agreeing to pay $32 per week towards their rediculous $500 initiation fee knowing I would only pay $32 for each week worked. After 3 weeks working the union decides I should pay all $500 right now...do you not see the issue?

7x $32 = $224 in initiation fees the employee should have paid before losing their seasonal job vs. the $500 the union actually took from them. IMO, the local would have STOLEN $276 from that seasonal employee. Do you see this differently?

Aside from the negotiated rate of pay and the defined time period in which they will work, what are these temporary, seasonal employees getting for their dues money?

....let alone this "initiation fee" to an organization which they have no expectation of joining once the Peak Season ends???

What am I missing?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
9BAABA5A-336B-4647-BC12-2D629DBF5A1A.jpeg

The justification is , to my knowledge, seasonals pay dues so that when they leave, and if they find other work in a Teamster shop, they will not have to pay in again. That is the only reasoning I have heard.
Do all Teamster jobs in Local 25 have the same initiation fee? Good luck UPS trying to hire any seasonal PT employees after the word gets out about a $500 initiation fee.

Boston25

Not shocking. You should check out the salary increases of our local since 2008. President jumped from 128k to 177k. BA's all near or over 150k

The E board works tirelessly at their jobs whether you agree or not BIrv. And whether you care to tell anyone on here how many times you have been fired from UPS and Local 25 has gone to bat for you every time.

anHOURover

The E board works tirelessly at their jobs whether you agree or not BIrv. And whether you care to tell anyone on here how many times you have been fired from UPS and Local 25 has gone to bat for you every time.
How’s them part time feeder guys making out ? What idiot brought part time feeders to local 25 ? Part time America don’t work
FACT

Method Mensch

When I went through the new hire process about 13 years ago, they were very clear about the initiation fee. They stated up front that if you did not stay on after peak, you would have to go to the union to get the initiation fees paid back to you. The even went so far as explaining that it would take three months before we would be enrolled in the healthcare plan. It is always paid 3 months in advance.

I remember it well, because the primary reason I work for UPS, even to this day, is the healthcare benefits. After I passed my 30 days, my wife and I wrote a check for the remainder of the amount owed so we didn't have to wait 60 days to get on the plan. It was financially worth it, even considering the initiation fees.

The fracas over all the initiation fees being pulled at once was an obvious mistake. Management pointed the finger at The Union, and vice versa. My understanding is that Management controls payroll, The Union had to ask Management to pull all the past initiation fees owed at once, after they discovered that none were being pulled on a weekly basis. The story I heard is that Management screwed up and instead of taking just the past due amount, they took the entire initiation fee out.

Bottom line: this was a mistake.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because they are seasonal employees who have little to no chance of being retained after Peak is over and have zero support from the union if something happens during their brief stay with us. This is gouging, pure and simple, and is not the way to start a potential life long relationship.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In actuality, the union "stole" $500 from these disposable workers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I went through the new hire process about 13 years ago, they were very clear about the initiation fee. They stated up front that if you did not stay on after peak, you would have to go to the union to get the initiation fees paid back to you. The even went so far as explaining that it would take three months before we would be enrolled in the healthcare plan. It is always paid 3 months in advance.

I remember it well, because the primary reason I work for UPS, even to this day, is the healthcare benefits. After I passed my 30 days, my wife and I wrote a check for the remainder of the amount owed so we didn't have to wait 60 days to get on the plan. It was financially worth it, even considering the initiation fees.

The fracas over all the initiation fees being pulled at once was an obvious mistake. Management pointed the finger at The Union, and vice versa. My understanding is that Management controls payroll, The Union had to ask Management to pull all the past initiation fees owed at once, after they discovered that none were being pulled on a weekly basis. The story I heard is that Management screwed up and instead of taking just the past due amount, they took the entire initiation fee out.

Bottom line: this was a mistake.

The company initiates union related withdrawals (dues) based solely on information provided by the union so, yes, this was a union screw up that they tried to correct at the expense of their most vulnerable "members".

Method Mensch

The company initiates union related withdrawals (dues) based solely on information provided by the union so, yes, this was a union screw up that they tried to correct at the expense of their most vulnerable "members".
Did it ever occur to you that maybe Management screwed up on the execution of The Union's request?

Yolo

There should never be a situation where seasonal employees have to goto the NLRB to get their paychecks from the union. What local 25 did was awful. I hope for the sake of our union they dont pull this nonsense again.