Local 705 out of Chicago negotiates their own contract and its better than yours !

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Now you know that Chicago has a seperate contract and when they leave they get an extra $1k for every year they have been there. So its easy to preach about unity when others no nothing about your setup. You can continue to spout about not taking care of the retired folks because we don`t care when your pension is secured ! Do you have job restrictions once you retire or can you leave at 30 without a penalty? Did you have changes that you have to work to 62 for no penalties?If you had less than 20 years by last contract you have to work till 65 without any penalties ? Or Just like the folks with IAM fUND -machinist fund for Northeast Mechanics. $6k to $10k a month to live on once retired ? Central States charged $120 million to administer and take care of a loosing fund :confused:1 Your not walking in our shoes so how do you have the audacity to criticize our situation when yours is rosy ? !!!!!!!! You are not on the same page for sure !!!!

pkgdriver

Re: Local 705 out of Chicago negotiates their own contract and its better than yours

Why is this?

They put their pants on the same as all the rest of us.

30andout

Re: Local 705 out of Chicago negotiates their own contract and its better than yours

They are the chosen ones!!!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward

Now you know that Chicago has a seperate contract and when they leave they get an extra $1k for every year they have been there. So its easy to preach about unity when others no nothing about your setup. You can continue to spout about not taking care of the retired folks because we don`t care when your pension is secured ! Do you have job restrictions once you retire or can you leave at 30 without a penalty? Did you have changes that you have to work to 62 for no penalties?If you had less than 20 years by last contract you have to work till 65 without any penalties ? Or Just like the folks with IAM fUND -machinist fund for Northeast Mechanics. $6k to $10k a month to live on once retired ? Central States charged $120 million to administer and take care of a loosing fund :confused:1 Your not walking in our shoes so how do you have the audacity to criticize our situation when yours is rosy ? !!!!!!!! You are not on the same page for sure !!!!
Goose our contract is seperate and do you have any idea why? Or do you just ramble about things you think you no about? All agreemenst out of local 705 and 710 in chicago are seperate, yellow, roadway, abf, railyards, etc,,. Why? Beacuse almost everything has to go through the midwest, We have struck ups 3xs since 95 here in the chicago area. When the chicago area stops working it slows down the whole country.

Now you ask about our pension, we elected a upser in 2003 and since he has taken over he has given upsers only a pension increase of $108 per month for every year of service, or $1000 per every year of service lump pay out at retirement plus $100 per month for years of service. I have explained this before and have never attempted to hide this, so no goose this isnt breaking news by any means!

We got sick and tired of being second class teamsters and were fed up, so we got together and organized a GREAT slate to over throw the incumbent( which has never been down in 705s 100 year history) and were successful in doing so. Now we reep the rewards of having this great upser running our local, and the freight guys wernt happy about the pension raise we (ups) receieved and could have cost him the election last year, but he didnt care and he stands for whats right is right. Needless to say he beat all the slates combined by more than 2 to 1 overall so the upsers showed him their support.

Wildgoose instead of being a keyboard cowboy grow a set and stand up for whats right and win back your local or assist in putting someone who is capable in the ibt. But running around blaming everything on the teamsters is also a lie and you know it! The government has been dealing with the cs pension plan since 1989 and i dont here you talking about bringing back communism!

705red

Browncafe Steward

Geese how is our contarct better than yours? How many different contracts for ups are out there? 705 isnt the only seperate contract, how many different pension plans are out there? I dont expect an answer from you, im sure one of your followers will take up the fight for you danny!

sawdusttv

Goose our contract is seperate and do you have any idea why? Or do you just ramble about things you think you no about? All agreemenst out of local 705 and 710 in chicago are seperate, yellow, roadway, abf, railyards, etc,,. Why? Beacuse almost everything has to go through the midwest, We have struck ups 3xs since 95 here in the chicago area. When the chicago area stops working it slows down the whole country.

Now you ask about our pension, we elected a upser in 2003 and since he has taken over he has given upsers only a pension increase of $108 per month for every year of service, or $1000 per every year of service lump pay out at retirement plus $100 per month for years of service. I have explained this before and have never attempted to hide this, so no goose this isnt breaking news by any means!

We got sick and tired of being second class teamsters and were fed up, so we got together and organized a GREAT slate to over throw the incumbent( which has never been down in 705s 100 year history) and were successful in doing so. Now we reep the rewards of having this great upser running our local, and the freight guys wernt happy about the pension raise we (ups) receieved and could have cost him the election last year, but he didnt care and he stands for whats right is right. Needless to say he beat all the slates combined by more than 2 to 1 overall so the upsers showed him their support.

Wildgoose instead of being a keyboard cowboy grow a set and stand up for whats right and win back your local or assist in putting someone who is capable in the ibt. But running around blaming everything on the teamsters is also a lie and you know it! The government has been dealing with the cs pension plan since 1989 and i dont here you talking about bringing back communism!

Red,
Again that is all great for you guys.
But, if the 705 and 710 are full of these great teamster brothers like you claim, then every one of you would be outragged at the treatment that your brothers in the CS plan are recieving, and you would be speaking out at your local meeting and to the IBT. You would be demanding answers and doing all you could to help your brothers. You wouldn't be bashing every word they say.
But then again,
" I got mine" RIGHT!!!!!!

Cole

Guys I think it's unfair to bring 705, or 710, or any local into this like that, because even if they made a big noise about our loss at their meetings, it wouldn't change the facts.

705 has only bashed the APWA notion, and those who crossed the picket line from what I have seen.

His local has was once under trusteesip and now from all appearances on the right track, so naturally he is going to be against changing from the Teamsters, and from his perspective, doing all he can to help is "getting a slate to run for office", and oust Hoffa.

We have to understand there are those who have turned things around in their locals and are not disgruntled with the Teamsters. I respect what the members of 705 have gotten done, and it is a good example.

I assure you the APWA will face more hostile opposition than we've seen here before it's over, but the points should be made, strongly, and respectively, and when you hit a brick wall, there's no need to waste too much time on one's who will not lend you their ear.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE

Guys I think it's unfair to bring 705, or 710, or any local into this like that, because even if they made a big noise about our loss at their meetings, it wouldn't change the facts.

705 has only bashed the APWA notion, and those who crossed the picket line from what I have seen.

His local has was once under trusteesip and now from all appearances on the right track, so naturally he is going to be against changing from the Teamsters, and from his perspective, doing all he can to help is "getting a slate to run for office", and oust Hoffa.

We have to understand there are those who have turned things around in their locals and are not disgruntled with the Teamsters. I respect what the members of 705 have gotten done, and it is a good example.

I assure you the APWA will face more hostile opposition than we've seen here before it's over, but the points should be made, strongly, and respectively, and when you hit a brick wall, there's no need to waste too much time on one's who will not lend you their ear.
Here here Cole.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Red,
Again that is all great for you guys.
But, if the 705 and 710 are full of these great teamster brothers like you claim, then every one of you would be outragged at the treatment that your brothers in the CS plan are recieving, and you would be speaking out at your local meeting and to the IBT. You would be demanding answers and doing all you could to help your brothers. You wouldn't be bashing every word they say.
But then again,
" I got mine" RIGHT!!!!!!
WE EARNED OURS!! No one gave us anything, we went out and took it! Cs is in bad shape i have never denied that, and i am interested in doing whatever i can to assist you in fixing it, except for the apwa fix and unless i see great benefits from a single employer fund, im against leaving a multiemployer fund.

I responded to this post because goose was attempting to paint myself and my local as a bunch of pre madonnas which we are not! I asked him several questions and he posted a reply but it wasnt to my questions it was to brother cole. Goose you better be ready to get called on all your bs you post!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Goose you better be ready to get called on all your bs you post!

I've called him on it, Red. I get ignored. I call Engineer 79 on his BS, too and its no one home. -Rocky

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE

WE EARNED OURS!! No one gave us anything, we went out and took it! Cs is in bad shape i have never denied that, and i am interested in doing whatever i can to assist you in fixing it, except for the apwa fix and unless i see great benefits from a single employer fund, im against leaving a multiemployer fund.

I responded to this post because goose was attempting to paint myself and my local as a bunch of pre madonnas which we are not! I asked him several questions and he posted a reply but it wasnt to my questions it was to brother cole. Goose you better be ready to get called on all your bs you post!
I posted the Social Security minus your pension because i wanted to bring attention to what was to happen back in 97 ! Like i always have posted we are not all on the same page and i didn`t paint the picture of being a bunch of prema`s those are your words not mine but see why we questioned are leadership. We had teamster direct us to Central States ? And they knew that they were in a slide along time ago but refused to address this. Like most that are not close to retirement took no vested interest in the future. Can`t lead a camel to water if it don`t want to go ! As you say the squeky wheel gets the oil but this wheel was broken long before the issues. The cost of maintaining the fund is way out of whack at $120 million reward for the lack of being solid ? Ba`s got a 20% increase when we got low digits and i am not complaining about the pay. I am saying we need a streamline and more effiecent program that curtails the high dollar for maintaining the representation so that $ could go to its recepients as it should. The buyout is an option but when they pay the buyout by ups i am saying there will be a cost for it for sure in form or another and i want that in everyones back of their mind when it comes time to vote ! Chicago has a great setup and your fortunate to be in that setup and i wish i were. I wouldn`t be exercising my voice so much.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE

Geese how is our contarct better than yours? How many different contracts for ups are out there? 705 isnt the only seperate contract, how many different pension plans are out there? I dont expect an answer from you, im sure one of your followers will take up the fight for you danny!
Have you guys got a cut in your accruels toward your pension ? Is your insurance getting worse and worse ? There are ruoughly 22 different plans around the country. Until they started hearing the yelping the insurance would be $1000 + per couple at 57 and then go down as closer to 65 you got - yikes ! Now its a little lower. But there is a $150k cap on it and we just found out a newly retired guy out of Hialeah RJ his wife had major surgery and the bill was $230k and they are holding him responsible for $80k. Do you have job restrictions upon retiring Red ? We do and the age has gone up with penalties for less than 65 yrs old for people who didn`t have 20 yrs in by 2002 contract and those that can go at 62 above 20 yrs in by 2002. But its like you pass on mile stone to hit that wall at another junction.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE

(Know about) Not no about :lol:

wkmac

GOOSE! By golly, you just give me the answer to our entire dilemia and it was right there all the time. We don't need the APWA after all. The answer for the UPSers in central states is to fold us into the 705 local and take all our assets from CS and put it with 705 UPSers. I'd venture to say that the UPS only assets and the requirement at present on the CS side of only needing 40 cents of every dollar paid in for UPS needs makes for a great situation to grow 705's fund to huge levels. Granted at first I wouldn't think we could get the same payout levels as the current 705 folks but it would be a far cry better than what we got and that extra 60 cents per dollar in 705's investment scheme would quickly grow and they along with us would soon see payout improvements beyond what they are presently for both parties.

Damn Goose, that's awesome you had the answer right there all the time in front of us. Nice Job!

BTW 705: If you want to see a pic of Goose meer moments after he reads my post above, click on the link at the very bottom of the page!
:lol:

Fullhouse

HMMMM! 705RED is in Chicago,Ill and Central States is in Des Plaines,Ill. Now wouldn't it make sense for 705 and 710 to be in Central States? Maybe they know something we don't.
Hey RED you can help! Go knocking on CSs' door and rattle their cage for us.:thumbup1:

705red

Browncafe Steward

HMMMM! 705RED is in Chicago,Ill and Central States is in Des Plaines,Ill. Now wouldn't it make sense for 705 and 710 to be in Central States? Maybe they know something we don't.
Hey RED you can help! Go knocking on CSs' door and rattle their cage for us.:thumbup1:
You want to come down and due some door knocking in des plaines im with you, you can even stay at my house.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Have you guys got a cut in your accruels toward your pension ? Is your insurance getting worse and worse ? There are ruoughly 22 different plans around the country. Until they started hearing the yelping the insurance would be $1000 + per couple at 57 and then go down as closer to 65 you got - yikes ! Now its a little lower. But there is a $150k cap on it and we just found out a newly retired guy out of Hialeah RJ his wife had major surgery and the bill was $230k and they are holding him responsible for $80k. Do you have job restrictions upon retiring Red ? We do and the age has gone up with penalties for less than 65 yrs old for people who didn`t have 20 yrs in by 2002 contract and those that can go at 62 above 20 yrs in by 2002. But its like you pass on mile stone to hit that wall at another junction.
Goose the only Contractual language on pension is what the company will pay into the fund. The payments are not. So i still dont see where my contract is better.

sawdusttv

I responded to this post because goose was attempting to paint myself and my local as a bunch of pre madonnas which we are not! I asked him several questions and he posted a reply but it wasnt to my questions it was to brother cole. Goose you better be ready to get called on all your bs you post![/quote

RED,

I understand what you are saying, although I don't agree with all of it.
The fact is that it is very frustrating to be in the position that we are in after 25 years of working for this company, and it amazes me that you can sit there and bash a group that is trying to do something about the situation by splitting off and changing to a single employer fund, when in essence that is exactly what you and local 705&710 did. You looked after yourselves and forget the rest. Why did you not say at the time, that this is what we want for all UPSers not just 705 & 710? You went out on your own and got yours.
That is why it is so hard to swallow your teamster unity, stick together, to build a stronger union line of rhetoric. You guys up there did the exact opposite of what you are preaching.

wkmac

RED,

I understand what you are saying, although I don't agree with all of it.
The fact is that it is very frustrating to be in the position that we are in after 25 years of working for this company, and it amazes me that you can sit there and bash a group that is trying to do something about the situation by splitting off and changing to a single employer fund, when in essence that is exactly what you and local 705&710 did. You looked after yourselves and forget the rest. Why did you not say at the time, that this is what we want for all UPSers not just 705 & 710? You went out on your own and got yours.
That is why it is so hard to swallow your teamster unity, stick together, to build a stronger union line of rhetoric. You guys up there did the exact opposite of what you are preaching.

sawdust,
No argument that some here drink the IBT coolaid and if they had their way, we'd be all forced at gunpoint to do the same thing. Did 705/710 spin off from everyone else to form their own deal? Yeah, it would look that way but granted I don't know the exact history so I can't say one way or the other how things took place. Whatever the case I applaud their efforts and consider them a good model to look at for sure. Same can be said of the IAM efforts for some of our auto/pe folks up in the northeast.

What I would point out however will sadly point the boney finger of blame for our CS situation pretty much right at ourselves because we also have to ask these all important questions.

1)Did we under the Central States plan ever sit back and look at the 705/710 models and ask the all important questions of "how are you guys doing this?"

2)Did we ever go to union meetings 5 ,10, 15, 20 years ago and demand our local leadership look into this and see what and how?

3)Once the midnight hour struck in Nov. 2004' did we go to union meetings and suggest our locals to look at the 705/710 model and if nothing else to start a secondary local retirement fund self financed out of our own pockets or some other mechanism that could compensate for the shortcomings of Central States?

My guess is most if not all the answers to those questions will sadly be no. That being the case, why are we to think that a new union which will require a lot more work and effort on the part of it's membership will be anymore successful? Now I'm no fan of the IBT and I've long advocated a UPS only union and still do for the very simple reason that a fudciary agent who represents members who work for competing business interests can't at the end of the day do all it can in the absolute best interest of each of it's members because in some cases the absolute best may in fact harm the standing of it's other members working at other companies. What's possible for UPS may not become reality because it could harm the standing of the members working at Yellow or where ever.

I use the over 70 situation in 94' as a good example. No argument that UPS didn't bring this issue up in the previous just completed contract talks but why? For safety reasons? Oh that was the party line and talking points but consider further. At the time, we were unable to proccess this volume so where was it? I'll contend much of it was on the freight side and those interests told the IBT "no way" to feeding that growing brown 600 lb. gorilla (we weren't 800 lbs. yet) so UPS did what it did (right or wrong or that part I won't defend or condemn) and forced the hand of the union and in the end we got the Over 70's and the union saved some face with some safety conditions that may or may not be used but that's another issue. From there the 100 weight, LTL stuff and now here we are in the freight business itself.

Is it possible that under a UPS only union that instead of multiple footprint facilities like our system is now with ground/air, freight, supply chain. logistics that instead we might have all of this under one roof buildings and all of us having opportunities to work in all these different functions? Can I prove that could be the case? Nope but you can't prove it wouldn't either, it's a possible potential. I do know that under the IBT, it's not possible because of the fact they also represent the workforce of the competition and therefore we must be held in check from reaching our max potential.

I happen to believe it's a longshot at best that APWA will gain any foothold anywhere. I personally think APWA should in fact use the 705/710 model of picking a locale and then pushing a de-cert movement to remove the IBT and install the APWA in it's place. Build that model first and if successful, I'd say you'd begin to see others do the same thing and in the end it might become that snowball rolling downhill. APWA and the whole idea IMO has done a great service to push the thinking of doing something serious or different about the pension. The company wants something done because the last thing it needs is an employee workforce pissed at the world because of the pension situation and we all know UPS' own practices already keep us pissed so why make it worse. Right? :lol:

UPS also doesn't want to throw good money at bad which right now that is exactly what is happening at Central States. Even the union is admitting this and finally asking CS the hard "why and what did you" and " what are you going to do" questions and also asking them why are other funds in such great shape and CS is not. The federal witching hour also kicks in next year so that pressure is on but I think most importantly is that the APWA has forced people to really think and ponder what has happened so in that respect APWA has done a good job for UPSers and I'll even say all UPSers. If you think about it, that's a fact but I'm sure there will also be much wailing and gnashing of teeth as well by many here.

At the same time, you APWA guys come off like vinyl siding salesman calling at suppertime who tell you anything and promise you anything to make the sale. Don't like that? Sorry pal, deal with it. You pop up everywhere and anywhere and I've got a feeling that a lot of these various alias' out there are in fact the one and same person to make the numbers look bigger than they really are and that is dishonest. How can I trust you on the big things when you play such games with the little?

APWA IMO has a good enough message on it's own merit but as I said your downfall IMO is trying to conquer the world all at once. Pick a small battleground somewhere and win the day and if the movement is and proves it's success, you'll have to fight people off trying to join.

That is MHO!

sawdusttv

sawdust,
No argument that some here drink the IBT coolaid and if they had their way, we'd be all forced at gunpoint to do the same thing. Did 705/710 spin off from everyone else to form their own deal? Yeah, it would look that way but granted I don't know the exact history so I can't say one way or the other how things took place. Whatever the case I applaud their efforts and consider them a good model to look at for sure. Same can be said of the IAM efforts for some of our auto/pe folks up in the northeast.

What I would point out however will sadly point the boney finger of blame for our CS situation pretty much right at ourselves because we also have to ask these all important questions.

1)Did we under the Central States plan ever sit back and look at the 705/710 models and ask the all important questions of "how are you guys doing this?"

2)Did we ever go to union meetings 5 ,10, 15, 20 years ago and demand our local leadership look into this and see what and how?

3)Once the midnight hour struck in Nov. 2004' did we go to union meetings and suggest our locals to look at the 705/710 model and if nothing else to start a secondary local retirement fund self financed out of our own pockets or some other mechanism that could compensate for the shortcomings of Central States?

My guess is most if not all the answers to those questions will sadly be no. That being the case, why are we to think that a new union which will require a lot more work and effort on the part of it's membership will be anymore successful? Now I'm no fan of the IBT and I've long advocated a UPS only union and still do for the very simple reason that a fudciary agent who represents members who work for competing business interests can't at the end of the day do all it can in the absolute best interest of each of it's members because in some cases the absolute best may in fact harm the standing of it's other members working at other companies. What's possible for UPS may not become reality because it could harm the standing of the members working at Yellow or where ever.

I use the over 70 situation in 94' as a good example. No argument that UPS didn't bring this issue up in the previous just completed contract talks but why? For safety reasons? Oh that was the party line and talking points but consider further. At the time, we were unable to proccess this volume so where was it? I'll contend much of it was on the freight side and those interests told the IBT "no way" to feeding that growing brown 600 lb. gorilla (we weren't 800 lbs. yet) so UPS did what it did (right or wrong or that part I won't defend or condemn) and forced the hand of the union and in the end we got the Over 70's and the union saved some face with some safety conditions that may or may not be used but that's another issue. From there the 100 weight, LTL stuff and now here we are in the freight business itself.

Is it possible that under a UPS only union that instead of multiple footprint facilities like our system is now with ground/air, freight, supply chain. logistics that instead we might have all of this under one roof buildings and all of us having opportunities to work in all these different functions? Can I prove that could be the case? Nope but you can't prove it wouldn't either, it's a possible potential. I do know that under the IBT, it's not possible because of the fact they also represent the workforce of the competition and therefore we must be held in check from reaching our max potential.

I happen to believe it's a longshot at best that APWA will gain any foothold anywhere. I personally think APWA should in fact use the 705/710 model of picking a locale and then pushing a de-cert movement to remove the IBT and install the APWA in it's place. Build that model first and if successful, I'd say you'd begin to see others do the same thing and in the end it might become that snowball rolling downhill. APWA and the whole idea IMO has done a great service to push the thinking of doing something serious or different about the pension. The company wants something done because the last thing it needs is an employee workforce pissed at the world because of the pension situation and we all know UPS' own practices already keep us pissed so why make it worse. Right? :lol:

UPS also doesn't want to throw good money at bad which right now that is exactly what is happening at Central States. Even the union is admitting this and finally asking CS the hard "why and what did you" and " what are you going to do" questions and also asking them why are other funds in such great shape and CS is not. The federal witching hour also kicks in next year so that pressure is on but I think most importantly is that the APWA has forced people to really think and ponder what has happened so in that respect APWA has done a good job for UPSers and I'll even say all UPSers. If you think about it, that's a fact but I'm sure there will also be much wailing and gnashing of teeth as well by many here.

At the same time, you APWA guys come off like vinyl siding salesman calling at suppertime who tell you anything and promise you anything to make the sale. Don't like that? Sorry pal, deal with it. You pop up everywhere and anywhere and I've got a feeling that a lot of these various alias' out there are in fact the one and same person to make the numbers look bigger than they really are and that is dishonest. How can I trust you on the big things when you play such games with the little?

APWA IMO has a good enough message on it's own merit but as I said your downfall IMO is trying to conquer the world all at once. Pick a small battleground somewhere and win the day and if the movement is and proves it's success, you'll have to fight people off trying to join.

That is MHO!

Mac,
You make a lot of good points here, although I see many in a different light.
Rest assured that there is no smoke screen being thrown here. The same person under different name theory is a teamster ploy at best. As far as supporting the Apwa, I don't think that many of the nay sayers have taken the time to talk to the leaders of the APWA. I say this, because of my personal experience with them. I listened to them, asked questions and they showed me facts and figures that they could back up. Granted many of these things are theories that could be if the APWA became our BA, but they have a very impressive road map as to how they plan to pull this off. I could tell that this was something that was planned out very carefully, with much long hard work behind it.
I will continue to support there cause, although I agree that there are other stratagies that could have been used and possible been more effective on a different scale to start out. But my opinion of them and there efforts has not changed.

On another note, I think that you missed my point somewhat.
While I aplaud there efforts and success in what they have do in the 705 & 710.
There RAH! RAH! support the teamsters and build a stronger union cries, do not hold water, when they have already done the exact opposite of what they preach, when they broke away and did there own thing, and then to jump on others who want to do the same thing, only in a different way.
Well, that is very hypocritical, IMHO.