LOL, They Never Gave Us Break on Monday!

NY11725

You don't know what you are talking about...if you want help then be a bit more open to learning something.

Writing down your hours is how you keep track of time. All 10 minute breaks are PAID BREAKS, period, end of story.

If you are saying you are not gettnig paid for the 10 minutes then either (1) you are not writing down your hours, because you would account for that or (2) management is pulling one over on you and stealing from you.

Either way, like I said, management is having a field day with YOU.

Also, as a part-timer, the Teamsters and UPS negotiated that YOU ARE GUARANTEED 3.5 HOURS OF WORK. That is it, end of story. Unless you are an air driver, they have a 3 hour guarantee. To come on here and say that every hub is different and you don't work here or whatever only shows you need to READ AND LEARN THE UNION MASTER CONTRACT - because that is a basic fact that everyone knows and does not vary.

So again, management is pulling a facade with you part-timers in your building and you (and probably others) are buying it hook line and sinker.

the damn contracts can say w/e the friend* they want to say..that doesnt mean they " have " to do it, I cant simply talk back to my managers, and take the chance of getting in trouble for saying im right and their wrong...the ppl who run my hub are ********....my manager boss comes in..stares up at me picking off...comes up..tells me to go down and help the loaders when its not even heavy, it then gets heavy, ans he stayed up doing my position while I was stuck on the floor doing BS...thats how messed up these people are...they step all over us, im not the only one..and im not about to step up and tell them my mind, and then lose my job...and the SS's are never around to even go talk to them...stop coming off at me like im some kind of idiot...because you dont know me at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

NY11725

YOU ARE THE UNION. If you are not getting 3.5, FILE A GRIEVANCE. It is a no-brainer, 100% win.

If you don't want the time, that is another story. You are simply allowing the big brown bully to get away with whatever they want. If that is what you want, and you don't want the money and guaranteed time, that is another story.

The bottom line - back to the original topic, your paid break is between 1 and 3rd hour. If you do not work 3 hours, then you are not getting a paid break. So simply put - they do not have to give a break to you for working when you don't work 3. That is all it is.

bro...they call break after 1 hr 30min EVERYDAY...how many times do I need to say that? EVERYYYYYONEEEE breaks after 1 hr 30 min.... around 7:30pm...ive been there past 3 hours recently once...there was hardly anyone there...they cut EVERYONEEEE as soon as it gets light...they start sending people home

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Its clear you dont know what your talking about man...

the damn contracts can say w/e the friend* they want to say..that doesnt mean they " have " to do it, I cant simply talk back to my managers, and take the chance of getting in trouble for saying im right and their wrong...the ppl who run my hub are pricks....my manager boss comes in..stares up at me picking off...comes up..tells me to go down and helo the loaders when its not even heavy, it then gets heavy, ans he stayed up doing my position while I was stuck on the floor doing BS...thats how messed up these people are...they step all over us, im not the only one..and im not about to step up and tell them my mind, and then lose my job...and the SS's are never around to even go talk to them...stop coming off at me like im some kind of idiot...because you dont know me at all.

Again, you aren't reading what I am saying. I have been doing this for quite a while and trying to get a message across.

Like I was saying, LET THEM DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. At the end of the week, file a grievance for any hours under 17.5 that they would not let you work! You told them you wanted to stay for 3.5 minimum, and they laughed at you. Write that in your grievance.

You don't need to talk to them. You don't need to tell them your mind. All you need to do is write on a piece of paper how the company is wronging you. Don't say anything to your PT or FT sups!

You are letting the brown bully do what they want in spite of the contract THEY signed with the union. YOU are the one who came on here complaining about not getting a break when you never deserved to get one! Because you don't force your gaurauntee!!

acting like the victim won't get you very far, either AT work or HERE. I have been doing this way too long as have most of the others on BC to feel bad when in reality YOU are the enabler of their behaviour for not standing up for yourself.

NY11725

Again, you aren't reading what I am saying. I have been doing this for quite a while and trying to get a message across.

Like I was saying, LET THEM DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. At the end of the week, file a grievance for any hours under 17.5 that they would not let you work! You told them you wanted to stay for 3.5 minimum, and they laughed at you. Write that in your grievance.

You don't need to talk to them. You don't need to tell them your mind. All you need to do is write on a piece of paper how the company is wronging you. Don't say anything to your PT or FT sups!

You are letting the brown bully do what they want in spite of the contract THEY signed with the union. YOU are the one who came on here complaining about not getting a break when you never deserved to get one! Because you don't force your gaurauntee!!

acting like the victim won't get you very far, either AT work or HERE. I have been doing this way too long as have most of the others on BC to feel bad when in reality YOU are the enabler of their behaviour for not standing up for yourself.

Well I thank you for all your help, we shall see how much longer it continues...and no I was not complaining...if you read my original post, I said in it

".im a pick off..so it doesnt really bother me if I get a break or not because I hardly sweat as it is..but it sux for the loaders, and to be honest, even tho im pick off....a break is still nice, if i want water or need to use the restroom"

but, to be honest man, if they are sending everyone home because theres nothing to do if its a light night...why would they let me stay for 3.5 when there is nothing to do at all?..they will simply say..there is no work...we cant pay you for doing nothing..

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well I thank you for all your help, we shall see how much longer it continues...and no I was not complaining...if you read my original post, I said in it

".im a pick off..so it doesnt really bother me if I get a break or not because I hardly sweat as it is..but it sux for the loaders, and to be honest, even tho im pick off....a break is still nice, if i want water or need to use the restroom"

but, to be honest man, if they are sending everyone home because theres nothing to do if its a light night...why would they let me stay for 3.5 when there is nothing to do at all?..they will simply say..there is no work...we cant pay you for doing nothing..

Complaining wasn't the right word.

And you are exactly right! There isn't work for the 3.5 hours. They have to pay you 3.5 hours. they can send you home in 2 hours! But the money must be 3.5hours worth, which is the principle. They will have you sweep the floors in a nice quiet building if thats what it takes to make your time (not literally, but you get the idea). I swear the other night I actually DID sweep floors to make my 8 hours on the small sort!! LOL I went over by 15 minutes too...shhh :)

NY11725

Complaining wasn't the right word.

And you are exactly right! There isn't work for the 3.5 hours. They have to pay you 3.5 hours. they can send you home in 2 hours! But the money must be 3.5hours worth, which is the principle. They will have you sweep the floors in a nice quiet building if thats what it takes to make your time (not literally, but you get the idea). I swear the other night I actually DID sweep floors to make my 8 hours on the small sort!! LOL I went over by 15 minutes too...shhh :)

well, I insure you, they pay you what you work..its not like they are screwing me, I know a few people who are open with sharing their wage / check..and they only get paid for what they work...

If I read you correct, you said even though I work 2 hours, they must pay me for the time I wasnt working? If they did that I would have 17.5 hours a week, and thats never the case, If I only work 13 hours, they pay me for 13 hours...Ive never gotten paid for hours I didnt work, unless I was using vacation...and they pay me for 4 hours when its vacation

UnconTROLLed

perfection
well, I insure you, they pay you what you work..its not like they are screwing me, I know a few people who are open with sharing their wage / check..and they only get paid for what they work...

If I read you correct, you said even though I work 2 hours, they must pay me for the time I wasnt working? If they did that I would have 17.5 hours a week, and thats never the case, If I only work 13 hours, they pay me for 13 hours...Ive never gotten paid for hours I didnt work, unless I was using vacation...and they pay me for 4 hours when its vacation

You are missing the point still.

You are guaranteed 3.5 hours as a PT'er inside. If management tells you to get lost after 2.5 hours, tell them you want your guarantee. If you do not get it, ask the next day. At the end of the week, file for every minute you as missing under 3.5 hours.

Believe me, they must either find you 3.5 hours of work and pay you for 3.5 hours, or send you home and give you 3.5 hours anyway ( and hell that isn't going to happen).

It sounds to me like you just don't want the hours, which is fine, but if you ever DID want them, you're going to have to now fight for what you are owed, instead of insisting upon those hours to start with. Give an inch they take a mile, eh.

JaxUPSHub

umm. yeh.

I have to add my five cents here. I was told, that YES we are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours, UP UNTIL YOU GET LAID OFF.. Those were the exact words of my full time sup (manager).

So yes, Management is probably having a field day with us new hires, however, I need this Job atm, and not going to to risk getting laid off because of a 2h difference in total time.

You have heard that the Country is in an economic crisis havent you?

We all are sheep and always will be, so nothing really matters. Just MWEHHHHHH along.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

This my friend is exactly why you continue to get mistreated by your management team. Because you allow it. I will assure you that when you file a grievance for your 3.5 hr guarantee you will win, after you win they will follow the rules spelled out in the contract regarding your guarantee, They do not like paying people for not working, and I assure you their bosses will not allow it to continue.

Stand up for your rights that YOUR Union has negotiated for you, or you will have none!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
umm. yeh.

I have to add my five cents here. I was told, that YES we are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours, UP UNTIL YOU GET LAID OFF.. Those were the exact words of my full time sup (manager).

So yes, Management is probably having a field day with us new hires, however, I need this Job atm, and not going to to risk getting laid off because of a 2h difference in total time.

You have heard that the Country is in an economic crisis havent you?

We all are sheep and always will be, so nothing really matters. Just MWEHHHHHH along.

If you have made your 30 working days , and made seniority as a full-time teamster / part-time UPS'er, then YOU ARE GUARANTEED 3.5 HOURS. PERIOD. YOU CANNOT BE LAID OFF FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN 17.5 HOURS and if you are then it is YOU they are taking advantage of, knowingly, and it is YOU to blame not the company or the economy.

You need to file a grievance for all lost time if this is the case! If not, then you are the enabler of the behaviour!

You can fall for the economic crap line the company is feeding you if YOU want, but do not come on here and say you do not have a 3.5 hour guarantee, because that is not true..

If you DO NOT have 30 working days seniority, then it is TRUE that you do not have any ground to stand on YET and are not guaranteed 3.5 hours. Be a good little boy or girl and do what you are told UNTIL you have the 30 days.

Remember, those supervsiors that are running around stressed out screaming on their walkie talkies will lie, cheat, and steal to get their numbers right! Do NOT fall for their lies.

NY11725

ive been there a 1 yr 6 months, and i have not seen a 17.5 hour paycheck since last december.and then i was pulling 20+..im pretty sure the company is going to pay you for the hours you work, and not just give you extra hours for no reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

we are garenteed 3.5 hours ok..but i doubt the company is going to pay me for 3.5 hours if lets say I work 1 hour....it makes no sense,,,,ive never heard of a company paying someone when they arent there unless your on vacation.... let me walk into work tomorrow and be like " hey boss, how come im not getting paid for 3.5 hours when i only work 2.5? " uhhhhh...thats becuase you didnt work 3.5 hours.... ohh...

You simply do not get it. You are guaranteed 3.5 hours after you have completed your probationary period. This means that they have to work you for at least 3.5 hours per day or pay you the difference if there is no work for you to do. If they ask you and you agree to leave before the 3.5 hours then you do lose the guarantee; however, if they tell you to leave, they must still pay you the guarantee. They are not going to pay for you for not working and will find something for you to do.

There may be days that you want to leave and forfeit the guarantee but if you wish to stay and are told to leave you should then tell them that you want your 3.5 guarantee and they will find something for you to do.

NY11725

when i come down from pick off, i load or do eregs for 10 minutes or so...then my p/t sup says " ey, you can dip " or " you can leave " at this point its around 9pm, and my whole belt is getting cut...everyone is leaving...its not only me...there really isnt any more work to do...so your telling me. UPS has to pay all these people the difference because the p/t sup said to go home....if thats the case, they owe 7 people like 1 hr 40min for the past year

UnconTROLLed

perfection
when i come down from pick off, i load or do eregs for 10 minutes or so...then my p/t sup says " ey, you can dip " or " you can leave " at this point its around 9pm, and my whole belt is getting cut...everyone is leaving...its not only me...there really isnt any more work to do...so your telling me. UPS has to pay all these people the difference because the p/t sup said to go home....if thats the case, they owe 7 people like 1 hr 40min for the past year

man, do I have to explain this for the 4th time for you to finally get it? Come on please listen!

those same criminals in polos (supervisors) are lying to you telling you there is no more work. When evferyone is sent home, they are unloading the bulk from carts into the loads. They are doing the walkoffs- bottom slides. They are the ones taking your hours! It is just you are not around to see it because you forfeited your right to the work!

JaxUPSHub

NYC:

if they send you home before 3 1/2h, AND you willingly go, you get paid what you work for.

However, if they send you home before 3 1/2 and you told them you want your guarantee, and they still send you home, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO 3 1/2h worth of pay.

That simple. So next time they tell you to go home, you tell them you want your guarantee, if they laugh at you, then you HAVE TO file a grievance. AND YOU WILL GET PAID 3 1/2h.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When they say "you can leave", you simply reply "I would like my 3.5 guarantee" and they will either find you something else to do or tell you that they have no work for you and will pay you the difference.

When they say "you can leave" and you say "OK" you will be paid for actual time worked.

tieguy

Banned
If you DO NOT have 30 working days seniority, then it is TRUE that you do not have any ground to stand on YET and are not guaranteed 3.5 hours. Be a good little boy or girl and do what you are told UNTIL you have the 30 days.

Remember, those supervsiors that are running around stressed out screaming on their walkie talkies will lie, cheat, and steal to get their numbers right! Do NOT fall for their lies.[/QUOTE

If he does not ask for the guarantee then there is no lying or stealing.

The basics of making sure your paid correctly transcends UPS. It sounds like this guy is either happy with what he is working or he has not been diligent in getting what is owed or both.

NY11725

NYC:

if they send you home before 3 1/2h, AND you willingly go, you get paid what you work for.

However, if they send you home before 3 1/2 and you told them you want your guarantee, and they still send you home, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO 3 1/2h worth of pay.

That simple. So next time they tell you to go home, you tell them you want your guarantee, if they laugh at you, then you HAVE TO file a grievance. AND YOU WILL GET PAID 3 1/2h.

This makes a lot more sense. Yes, when I am told I can leave, I leave...so I guess that is willingly leaving...and I get paid what i work..which is fine....some nights I am too beat to stay. UPS is not my only job, and Im not really in it for the money right now until a position opens up for me which is alot more hours. most of the P/T employees enjoy the benifits :) while working fulltime somewhere else :) but yes guys I do understand what you mean

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Do you understand that your break is to be a paid break and depending on your supplement it does not matter how many hrs you work each shift is guaranteed a paid 10 minute break?

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Remember, those supervsiors that are running around stressed out screaming on their walkie talkies will lie, cheat, and steal to get their numbers right! Do NOT fall for their lies.[/QUOTE

If he does not ask for the guarantee then there is no lying or stealing.

The basics of making sure your paid correctly transcends UPS. It sounds like this guy is either happy with what he is working or he has not been diligent in getting what is owed or both.

If you aren't going to read through the threads then do not bother responding. I have said at least 3 times in 3 different posts that forfeiting the guarantee means it is HIS FAULT not the companies.

It IS however the companies fault for lying to part-timers, and you KNOW as well as I do, that the company does this as well. Saying they are not guaranteed the time because of the economy is a flat out lie.