Losing the $1 bill would save money

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
You're a foreigner, you'll never understand what George means to "us". Smart counts for :censored2: when pride is involved. On a serious note, who the hell carries hard cash these days?

DS

Fenderbender
You're a foreigner, you'll never understand what George means to "us". Smart counts for :censored2: when pride is involved. On a serious note, who the hell carries hard cash these days?
I don't consider myself a foreigner.Who cares about pride or George for that matter.
I still use cash a lot on a serious note.

tourists24

The $1 coin has been available awhile now,most Americans are not using them.
Only because the darn things are so similar to the quarter.... I tend to agree with manback too.... Not nearly as many people carry cash anyway compared to the past...lol

bluehdmc

The $1 coin has been available awhile now,most Americans are not using them.

I think one of the reasons dollar coins aren't used is because bills are still available. Since a dollar buys less than a quarter did when I was a kid, (I remember a soda in a machine was $.25), it doesn't really make sense to print bills. I read an article about this a coin last approx 30 years, a bill maybe 7. The country could save something like $4billion not printing dollar bills. Unfortunately George wouldn't be honored.

klein

Für Meno :)
Those US$1 coins get actually mixed up in the loonie till compartment. They really are simular. We just past them on as your other regular coins we have in circulation here. Everything from Lincon pennies to now the US $1 coin.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The vending machines here don't take the dollar coins. Most people use debit cards to pay for things nowadays.

rod

Retired 22 years
The banks here where I live won't accept any Canadian coins other than a penny. Every year I take 4 or 5 hundred dollars worth of change in for my racing vacation and every year they hand me back 2 or 3 bucks worth of Canadian nickles, dimes and quarters. They are good for tips if you get bad service. Pay back are hell.

Dave it started with this thread.
I was working in the vending business when the Susan B dollar coin was introduced, what a pain in my butt they were. Within a week service calls for jammed coin changers tripled because people couldn't tell the difference at a glance (they were slightly larger than a quarter). We even placed signs on every machine stating they wouldn't accept the dollar coins.

The reason Canadian coins jam up the vending machines is the Canadian coins are made from steel, the machine's anti-slug magnets wouldn't let them go through and the eject mechanism wouldn't clear them out, at one time I had quite a collect of Canadian coins.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]George Says We Have[/FONT]​
Bills216,352,992
Totaling$1,163,643,388
Entered Today13,356
System Status
status_green.gif
Where's George? 2.4 -- Track Your Dollar Bills
#1 Why does this site exist?
For fun and because it had not been done yet.
#2 When did this site get started?
The site officially went 'live' on December 23, 1998.
#3 I got this bill with Where's George? on it, What do I do?
Please go to the Where's George? Home Page and enter the denomination, series (year), and serial number as well as your current Zip Code and then hit the 'SUBMIT' button. Remember that you need to register before entering any bills in order to put them on your account so you can come back and track where they go next!