Low seniority wins a Mon-Fri bid.....Saturdays????

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
A few weeks before Saturdays started here, they announced which routes would be switching. The drivers had the option to stay on their route or bump someone with less seniority who had a M-friend route. If they did, then that would be their new route. If they chose to stay, then they were agreeing to work Saturdays knowing they would not be able to bump Monday drivers.
#fakenews

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They should only be able to "bump" you if you are being laid off. If not, it's your route to work. If you are being laid off on Mondays, you may want entertain the idea of working Saturday, which could possibly entitle you to time and a half, since it's not one of your scheduled days (subject to the language of your supplement and/or rider).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They should only be able to "bump" you if you are being laid off. If not, it's your route to work. If you are being laid off on Mondays, you may want entertain the idea of working Saturday, which could possibly entitle you to time and a half, since it's not one of your scheduled days (subject to the language of your supplement and/or rider).

Why would they pay you time and a half on Saturday if they laid you off on Monday?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Why would they pay you time and a half on Saturday if they laid you off on Monday?

If you are VLO on a Monday Saturday would be your 5th punch and it should be straight time.

VLO means voluntary lay off, I assume. I also assume that, based on the OP's description of the situation, a lower seniority driver winning a M - friend bid would not volunteer to be laid off on Monday just to be forced to work Saturday at straight time. I would have to look it up to be sure, but I think my supplement says that any day worked that is not a scheduled day is time and a half, which is why I had the disclaimer about supplement language. Sounds like other supplements are better than mine even. If I'm wrong on any of this, I'd be more than happy to have someone correct my understanding.

542thruNthru

Not here.

In my local unless he has a T-S work week ge will get time and a half for Sat no matter what.

Second paragraph from the top.
Screenshot_20180401-094354.png

Toast

Except for the fact that I miss some of my son's soccer games I like being classified as a Tue-Sat driver with Sunday and Monday being my official days off. Not only are the Saturday routes cake walks but the main reason I enjoy it is my center is crazy short on Mondays and I know a bunch of routes so I actually have worked every Monday this year all at time and a half. What is even better is if I work a Monday I usually can get another day off later in the week because they want me to have hours to work Saturday. So I still have been working 5 days a week with one of those 5 being entirely at time and a half.... its like free money for doing the same job I was doing when I was mon-fri. Multiple drivers with 25+ years have switched to t-s mainly for this reason in my center. Obviously if the center was not short I am sure this would not be happening but I am going to ride it til management fixes their staffing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Except for the fact that I miss some of my son's soccer games I like being classified as a Tue-Sat driver with Sunday and Monday being my official days off. Not only are the Saturday routes cake walks but the main reason I enjoy it is my center is crazy short on Mondays and I know a bunch of routes so I actually have worked every Monday this year all at time and a half. What is even better is if I work a Monday I usually can get another day off later in the week because they want me to have hours to work Saturday. So I still have been working 5 days a week with one of those 5 being entirely at time and a half.... its like free money for doing the same job I was doing when I was mon-fri. Multiple drivers with 25+ years have switched to t-s mainly for this reason in my center. Obviously if the center was not short I am sure this would not be happening but I am going to ride it til management fixes their staffing.

Why would Monday be OT if you don’t get your 40 in first?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Our center recently bid a Monday through Friday training route. Because it is a training route, only a few bottom seniority drivers signed the bid.

Apparently they were told they would still need to work Saturday due to seniority, and somebody else would do their route on Monday.

This completely contradicts the understanding that any high seniority driver who signs a Tue-Sat bid must work Saturdays!

I'm curious to see how this one plays out. Higher seniority drivers have been passing up better routes that are being converted to saturday bids when they open.
You are combining two different things. Center seniority dictates who works Monday-Friday. Unless you have enough seniority, you may be forces to work Saturdays. Your route may or may not be in that day. Any high seniority driver that volunteers to work Saturday by accepting a T-S route must work every Saturday.

Rack em

Made the Podium
So? OT should apply only after he works his 40.
So we have this thing called a union and they negotiate things for us in this thing called a contract. You still with me? Ok so in some regions under the supplemental agreement people get OT for working on their scheduled day off. It's crazy I know!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So we have this thing called a union and they negotiate things for us in this thing called a contract. You still with me? Ok so in some regions under the supplemental agreement people get OT for working on their scheduled day off. It's crazy I know!

...even though they take an unpaid day off during the week...?