LU 177 "selective" Seniority.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In this post you say when the annual bids come around you can either stay on your route or give it up. If I'm understanding how it works in your location... when the annual bid comes around, only those routes that were given up are available for bid? If that's correct is it safe to say that once you are awarded a route it's yours for life?, you don't have to give it up.

It sounds like every route is put up for bid on an annual basis.

I would not like that nor would I like to bid the same route for life.

We bid every two years, which works out pretty well as there is generally very little turnover.

By The Book

If they allow package to package seniority to carry over there will be an influx of transfers into my center. Who's to say I have enough seniority to retain my route when they go up for yearly bid? Why is that such a hard thing to comprehend? Why would I want to look for a problem that might cause me to lose my route? Obviously if you're the number 1 driver in the center with 35 years it's not a big deal. For everyone else from 2 down, it should be.
I don't think there will be this "influx" of transfers that will knock you off your route. I think there are only so many allowed per year.

By The Book

It sounds like every route is put up for bid on an annual basis.

I would not like that nor would I like to bid the same route for life.

We bid every two years, which works out pretty well as there is generally very little turnover.
In my center it's yours for life, but you can give it up as early as 6 months. For life only means it's your choice if you want to give it up. So in your center all routes are rebid every 2 years? How many routes actually change hands?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In this post you say when the annual bids come around you can either stay on your route or give it up. If I'm understanding how it works in your location... when the annual bid comes around, only those routes that were given up are available for bid? If that's correct is it safe to say that once you are awarded a route it's yours for life?, you don't have to give it up.
Every route goes up for bid along with a bid schedule for drivers.

By The Book

Every route goes up for bid along with a bid schedule for drivers.
That makes more sense. It sounds like you and the poster I replied to are in the same building/local? So even though they are up for bid annually, I would think a lot of those routes don't change hands?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That makes more sense. It sounds like you and the poster I replied to are in the same building/local? So even though they are up for bid annually, I would think a lot of those routes don't change hands?
Technically anyone but the #1 driver can get bumped but yeah most folks stay put especially the senior drivers. In a 60 driver center there might be 2-3 bumps on the annual bid on average. You can't bid out of center on the annual bid. I got bumped off a route 5 times over 18 years in delivery.

By The Book

Technically anyone but the #1 driver can get bumped but yeah most folks stay put especially the senior drivers. In a 60 driver center there might be 2-3 bumps on the annual bid on average. You can't bid out of center on the annual bid. I got bumped off a route 5 times over 18 years in delivery.
So everyone puts a number beside each route on the bid schedule in the order they want,,,like 1 to 60?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So everyone puts a number beside each route on the bid schedule in the order they want,,,like 1 to 60?
At your bid time you go into the center manager's office, he/she has a bid sheet with all the routes listed and you sign your name next to the route you want.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
From the Atlantic Supplement:

There shall be area bids for all full-time package delivery
drivers in accordance with Section (3A) above. These bids shall be
posted annually on the second Monday in January. All bids will
have route numbers and start times. Delivery drivers in the order of
their seniority shall be permitted the opportunity to bid the area of
their choice within their center. Such area bid shall not be consid-
ered as a move for the purpose of a bid on a new vacancy as out-
lined in Section 6(A).
Such bids will be posted in each center and will remain posted for
three (3) weeks. The first (1st) week of posting will be for employ-
ee review. During the second (2nd) and third (3rd) weeks the
employees shall bid “in seniority order”. A total of ten percent
(10%) of the employees will bid each day. All employees shall bid
on their assigned day; otherwise their bid will be made from the
areas available at the time of their bid.
All package delivery drivers shall be placed on their bid route
within sixty (60) calendar days following the completion of the
bid.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wait until you get to feeders and a guy that gets hired right before you get into feeders ( When I mean right before, I mean one week with no time under his belt) bumps you and says you are my junior hitch! Don't worry, it will happen.
Feeder bids every 6 months here, and there's way more bumping than there ever was in package.

oldupsman

Wait until you get to feeders and a guy that gets hired right before you get into feeders ( When I mean right before, I mean one week with no time under his belt) bumps you and says you are my junior hitch! Don't worry, it will happen.

I mean, that's just plain stupid. I just can't see why anybody, anywhere would say that's okay.

I mean, that's just plain stupid. I just can't see why anybody, anywhere would say that's okay.
I know... 177 hires a lot of feeder street... They want to protect their asset by bullying the package members coming into feeder... What they are not realizing is the members in feeder that have package time are pissed off... They should be more humble about it when it gets brought up... Well it's back firing and it's not looking good for them right now.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I know... 177 hires a lot of feeder street... They want to protect their asset by bullying the package members coming into feeder... What they are not realizing is the members in feeder that have package time are :censored2: off... They should be more humble about it when it gets brought up... Well it's back firing and it's not looking good for them right now.
Why are so many guys coming off the street??? Can't remember the last time feeder here hired off the street.... Mid 1980's????