LU 177 "selective" Seniority.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

They can if they want. Personally I made it a point to only take 4 of my 6 weeks during the summer to give the
younger guys a chance to get a summer week. Why? Because I'm a nice guy. Were all the older guys nice guys? No.

Who's talking about giving up your route? The yearly bid comes up, you decide to keep your route, keep your route.
You decide to make a change and try something else, go ahead.

Why? Honestly, I don't understand the problem. Because someone with more seniority would take your route?
Well then find a new route. That's why it's called SENIORITY!

Well the 30 driver can only bid into your center on the bid that was posted. So when he bids in that's the run he gets.
But when the yearly bids come up then he can bid any route he wants.
Can you guys change package centers when a package route goes up for bid?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Here, we can citywide, across 5 buildings, 8 centers total.
We can't do that in pkg we can only bid on routes in our center.....that's what man in brown wants to avoid bidding on routes outside of center.....that's why I asked you about rebidding routes because it wouldn't be fair to change the seniority without the bidding......if I can change centers with seniority I should have had a fair shot at all routes being they weren't offered to me before someone else won it

ManInBrown

We can't do that in pkg we can only bid on routes in our center.....that's what man in brown wants to avoid bidding on routes outside of center.....that's why I asked you about rebidding routes because it wouldn't be fair to change the seniority without the bidding......if I can change centers with seniority I should have had a fair shot at all routes being they weren't offered to me before someone else won it
Bingo

ManInBrown

They can if they want. Personally I made it a point to only take 4 of my 6 weeks during the summer to give the
younger guys a chance to get a summer week. Why? Because I'm a nice guy. Were all the older guys nice guys? No.

Who's talking about giving up your route? The yearly bid comes up, you decide to keep your route, keep your route.

Why? Honestly, I don't understand the problem. Because someone with more seniority would take your route?
Well then find a new route. That's why it's called SENIORITY!

Well the 30 driver can only bid into your center on the bid that was posted. So when he bids in that's the run he gets.
But when the yearly bids come up then he can bid any route he wants.
If they allow package to package seniority to carry over there will be an influx of transfers into my center. Who's to say I have enough seniority to retain my route when they go up for yearly bid? Why is that such a hard thing to comprehend? Why would I want to look for a problem that might cause me to lose my route? Obviously if you're the number 1 driver in the center with 35 years it's not a big deal. For everyone else from 2 down, it should be.

Who's to say I have enough seniority to retain my route when they go up for yearly bid? Why is that such a hard thing to comprehend? Why would I want to look for a problem that might cause me to lose my route? Obviously if you're the number 1 driver in the center with 35 years it's not a big deal. For everyone else from 2 down, it should be.
How hard is it to comprehend that the seniority language is not tied to the bidding language... You can change one with out the other... It's not that hard to see.

How is it asinine? Why would I want to give my route up? If someone retires or goes feeder route goes up for bid, and if I'm interested I try it out. Why would I want to lose my route?
It's amazing that members from other locals know what we are asking for in Local 177... You as a local 177 member doesn't want to find out and is making assumptions...

ManInBrown

Forget about the bidding for a minute. Why would I want a bunch of 20 year drivers transferring to my center to push me even further down the vacation list? No thanks. And it's a moot point. The petition has 400 signatures out of 8000 members.

And that's my whole point. Whatever existing system is in place is fine. Changing it advantages someone at anothers expense. Not my idea of fair practice.
Ok, so let's say the group that you are saying is having their seniority taking away from them with this change, is being treated unfair... What if I told you the same group would love to take back their vacation picks and layoffs and make it classification seniority for it all... Do you think that's fair?

If they were the majority they could get it... The only reason why I say this is there is proposal out there in local 177 for this change... If you let them they will take it all... It's about what the members want as a majority...

Forget about the bidding for a minute. Why would I want a bunch of 20 year drivers transferring to my center to push me even further down the vacation list? No thanks.
Then don't come to feeders like you said because Fulltime company seniority counts for vacation picks... You are better off staying That's your big worry.

ManInBrown

Then don't come to feeders like you said because Fulltime company seniority counts for vacation picks... You are better off staying That's your big worry.
No. I'm fine with taking the hit in feeders when I go, to keep everything status quo in package. When I move to feeders I'm at the bottom. It is what it is. Doesn't bother me. I'm not spending 20 years in package before I make the move. Will be happening in next 2 years.

No. I'm fine with taking the hit in feeders when I go, to keep everything status quo in package. When I move to feeders I'm at the bottom. It is what it is. Doesn't bother me. I'm not spending 20 years in package before I make the move. Will be happening in next 2 years.
How many years do you have?

By The Book

In this post you say when the annual bids come around you can either stay on your route or give it up. If I'm understanding how it works in your location... when the annual bid comes around, only those routes that were given up are available for bid? If that's correct is it safe to say that once you are awarded a route it's yours for life?, you don't have to give it up.