Lunch and 60/70hr rules.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I searched that site and didn't find a newer version. I also added a reply to that thread asking for any known updates so I can edit the newer one in.
I was asking more from the standpoint that nobody will be talking about it again until next December???

Too many pinned threads screw with my OCD.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
D_86y2.gif

no, the private line

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Your paid breaks count as off duty time. They count towards your 14 hours but not your 60/70

Here that count it towards your 60/70

We used to have to count our paid breaks as on-duty time until about 5 years ago. We were told that some lawyer for UPS realized that we should count it as off-duty, especially since it could help out UPS hours wise.

The FMCSA has 2 requirements for logging time as off-duty, and a paid break is within the scope of those rules. We can leave the package car or tractor, and pursue whatever we want during that break. We can go inside a restaurant, golf, swim, go to a gym and workout...

Yes, I know, what can you do in 10 minutes, but it does satisfy the requirements of pursuing activities of our choosing.

The 2 requirements are as follows. Judge for yourself as to what you are allowed to do during your break. UPS may have you count them against your 60/70, but, that is of their choosing, not the DOT's.

1. The driver is relieved of all duty and responsibility for the care and custody of the vehicle, its accessories, and any cargo or passengers it may be carrying.

2. During the stop, and for the duration of the stop, the driver must be at liberty to pursue activities of his/her own choosing.

Last edited:
We used to have to count our paid breaks as on-duty time until about 5 years ago. We were told that some lawyer for UPS realized that we should count it as off-duty, especially since it could help out UPS hours wise.

The FMCSA has 2 requirements for logging time as off-duty, and a paid break is within the scope of those rules. We can leave the package car or tractor, and pursue whatever we want during that break. We can go inside a restaurant, golf, swim, go to a gym and workout...

Yes, I know, what can you do in 10 minutes, but it does satisfy the requirements of pursuing activities of our choosing.

The 2 requirements are as follows under. Judge for yourself as to what you are allowed to do during your break. UPS may have you count them against your 60/70, but, that is of their choosing, not the DOT's.

1. The driver is relieved of all duty and responsibility for the care and custody of the vehicle, its accessories, and any cargo or passengers it may be carrying.

2. During the stop, and for the duration of the stop, the driver must be at liberty to pursue activities of his/her own choosing.
I was always curious why they counted my paid break towards my 60/70