Lunch and 60/70hr rules.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was always curious why they counted my paid break towards my 60/70

I couldn't tell you. Maybe to avoid any possible HOS issues that they are not aware of? But it is of their own choosing. They don't have to under DOT HOS regulations.

I will say that it is not in black and white under the regulations, but the DOT has issued a guidance statement in 2013 clarifying their position on off-duty.

Maybe UPS, where you're at, does not want to take their word for it, since it's not in black and white.

I couldn't tell you. Maybe to avoid any possible HOS issues that they are not aware of? But it is of their own choosing. They don't have to under DOT HOS regulations.

I will say that it is not in black and white under the regulations, but the DOT has issued a guidance statement in 2013 clarifying their position on off-duty.

Maybe UPS, where you're at, does not want to take their word for it, since it's not in black and white.
Or they are just plain stupid...

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
ba8b0e5eadd4c45eeed071674045bdec.jpg
Go wait by the phone
badbunny2.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Refunds for late air changed a few years ago-----shippers no longer receive a full refund but instead get a refund for the difference in the service that they paid for and the service that they received. For example, a NDA with a 10:30 commit that is delivered late and has not been exception scanned for weather would be refunded for the difference between NDA and NDA Saver.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Refunds for late air changed a few years ago-----shippers no longer receive a full refund but instead get a refund for the difference in the service that they paid for and the service that they received. For example, a NDA with a 10:30 commit that is delivered late and has not been exception scanned for weather would be refunded for the difference between NDA and NDA Saver.
Do you have link for that "fine print"?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Do you have link for that "fine print"?
My point is this, if it is even true, considering the source???

This premise is similar to going to the gas station and purchasing "premium" fuel from the appropriate nozzle, only to find out that they really sold you "regular", instead of a full refund, or even punitive damages.

Meanwhile your car's valves burn up, but UPS only wants to give you back the difference between the cost of the two grades of fuel purchased.

Seriously, how far can a disclaimer get you?

I call :bsbullf:

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
We used to have to count our paid breaks as on-duty time until about 5 years ago. We were told that some lawyer for UPS realized that we should count it as off-duty, especially since it could help out UPS hours wise.

The FMCSA has 2 requirements for logging time as off-duty, and a paid break is within the scope of those rules. We can leave the package car or tractor, and pursue whatever we want during that break. We can go inside a restaurant, golf, swim, go to a gym and workout...

Yes, I know, what can you do in 10 minutes, but it does satisfy the requirements of pursuing activities of our choosing.

The 2 requirements are as follows. Judge for yourself as to what you are allowed to do during your break. UPS may have you count them against your 60/70, but, that is of their choosing, not the DOT's.

1. The driver is relieved of all duty and responsibility for the care and custody of the vehicle, its accessories, and any cargo or passengers it may be carrying.

2. During the stop, and for the duration of the stop, the driver must be at liberty to pursue activities of his/her own choosing.

one could argue that piont #1 about time off doesnt apply. sure we could walk away, but are we really resolved of all resposibility of our car and contents?

if someone hits you while on lunch and youre inside getting food, does the company really NOT hold that accident againstbyou?