Lunch?

ian1006

New driver here, still in first week of driving.
Different supervisors continue to tell me to take a lunch and to punch it correctly etc and it’s company policy etc. Then right after tell me that’s not realistic my first year and I need to work all my lunches and breaks of course they say this unofficially.
On road who is with me still tells me we will take a break after resi etc on the way back to the building. The last three days working I have had one 5 minute paid break and one 15 minute unpaid break while working 9.5 hours each day. I’m not a picky person but working 9 hours with not even a 5 minute break or lunch is crap.
Should I expect more of this? I have a crappy on road and the whole building says this on road is the worst etc. It is so disorganized and I have no clue how to do anything. I have learned one method of using the handrail in 2 weeks of training and nothing else.
Not even sure all this bs is worth it when I’ll just end up being a cover driver.
Run away or stay?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Different supervisors continue to tell me to take a lunch and to punch it correctly etc and it’s company policy etc. Then right after tell me that’s not realistic my first year and I need to work all my lunches and breaks of course they say this unofficially.
On road who is with me still tells me we will take a break after resi etc on the way back to the building. The last three days working I have had one 5 minute paid break and one 15 minute unpaid break while working 9.5 hours each day. I’m not a picky person but working 9 hours with not even a 5 minute break or lunch is crap.
Should I expect more of this? I have a crappy on road and the whole building says this on road is the worst etc. It is so disorganized and I have no clue how to do anything. I have learned one method of using the handrail in 2 weeks of training and nothing else.
Not even sure all this bs is worth it when I’ll just end up being a cover driver.
Run away or stay?
Your experience is not unique. Pretty much every driver in the history of UPS went through the same thing.
My advice would be to do what you need to do to in order to make seniority. After that, dont give them anything for free. If that means allowing a hopeless dispatch to fail, then let it fail. You will get harrassed, but once they figure out that you will not be intimidated and that you are willing to stand up for yourself, they will find an easier target.

trickpony1

I c/p this from another thread.
I have suggested this for several new drivers.
When you're on your own (no supe riding) try this...

No one has suggested the OP fix a healthy lunch, complete with sports drinks, to take to work.

After the morning commits, find a safe place to park and punch meal. While eating your sandwiches, sort your load, collect your thoughts and prepare for your afternoon.

The company knows rookies do this. It's not a secret.

Once qualified, don't work off the clock. Good luck.

ian1006

I pack veggies, sandwich, protein bars, Gatorade, water, etc. Eating healthy etc but on road doesn’t even let me take 5 minutes to take a break. Watches or listens to Netflix movies while saying turn here or there and calling out a hin number when I go to the back.
No clue on any methods to actually get faster. So much bs

trickpony1

When you get home, start a notebook with significant things the supe did or did not say or do.

These notes could prove valuable later.

EDIT: I would also bet he is altering your timecard to show a full meal.
Keep track of punch in/out time and any unpaid time taken.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
56B289E0-337F-40FC-8F3B-3D1EE969FAAE.gif
Run away or stay?

john chesney

Run away or stay?
Just until your last day at ups

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Run away or stay?
Eat a massive lunch like @MyTripisCut!

Daf

Run away or stay?
Try to play their game until you make your thirty days. After that you can file a grievance on all these things. And you should.

ian1006

They told me first day before I went out that they were going to ask for a 40 day vs 30 day.

I am wondering if this sup is just crap. They mentioned before we went out the first day if I wanted to quit this week to call ahead at least an hour. They use their phone for gps navigation on half the resi and I have learned no methods other than hold hand rail. I have had to initiate everything or they just sit back and chill. I know there are methods to help me get faster but I don’t know them. I want to succeed but without training and this crap sup I don’t know

Undertow

Your experience is not unique. Pretty much every driver in the history of UPS went through the same thing.
My advice would be to do what you need to do to in order to make seniority. After that, dont give them anything for free. If that means allowing a hopeless dispatch to fail, then let it fail. You will get harrassed, but once they figure out that you will not be intimidated and that you are willing to stand up for yourself, they will find an easier target.
That is the best "reasoned and seasoned" advice in this situation. I wish I had had some voices of experience way back in those pre-seniority days as well as the first 6 months as it would have saved me considerable energy and aggravation.

ian1006, You might have realized it already by now but if you haven't, I'll offer my two cents - They will try to get as much as they can from you as long as they can and if they sense the slightest hint that you might waver rather than stand your ground when confronted, they will repeatedly exert intimidation whether even if it's a bluff. As much as I hated to sit down and read and understand all the nuances in the contract, I was better off long term for knowing the language once disputes real or imagined occurred. No matter how many decent bosses you will work for, it's inevitable you're gonna get a bad one and that's when you will need to know exactly what the limits of how much you can take and how much you are required to take indeed are. Knowing you can withstand the bad times will make the good times that much better.

WTFm8

Do anything to qualify... once qualified take your lunch and paid break per your supplement. I sorted during my lunch per ORS and other drivers advise.

For my supplement, I get an hour unpaid lunch between hours 3 and 5 and a 10 min paid break 2nd half of day.

We can break the lunch up into a 20min between hours 1 and 3 (after airs) then a 40 during 2nd half of day, or take a single 60min. We can also take a 30 min if ‘mutually agreed’ between management and employee.

Hot days I take my 20 around 11 for an early light lunch a then around 4-4:30 after pickups (nothing sucks more doing pickups after possibly eating too much food then possibly having to crap) I take my 40 in a nice cool building/resturaunt/gas station then finish up residentials. I take my paid 10 randomly sometime during 2nd half.

Cooler days I take my 20 around 11 but then at 4-4:30 I punch in for a 10min lunch followed by my 10 min right after... basically getting 2 20min breaks (30 min unpaid lunch).

ian1006

Been on the road for 3 days driving but the third day they took me to same business route then completely different resi route...they said Monday’s they split the routes. How the heck am I supposed to learn a route much less anything else?

Sup plays on their phone more than half the day. Worked 11 hours straight and only took a piss break on the 10th hour...not trying to complain but seriously not even a 5 minute water break or piss break. They say oh wait 20 minutes...next hour...after resi before pickups etc.

Might be done with this bs because I feel like this is just the beginning. Plenty of jobs around here too

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Run away or stay?
Take lunch while you're sorting your truck until you make seniority. After that friend em. Never work a second of lunch again.

Last edited:

ian1006

Yeh I get that. But the sup isn’t even giving me time to sort. I don’t mind working for a break or eating a sandwich while sorting but they don’t even give me time for that.
Also worried I am not learning any methods that will actually help me actually make scratch. I am beginning to feel like The sup has something personal against me. Told me twice if I need to quit to call an hour before.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeh I get that. But the sup isn’t even giving me time to sort. I don’t mind working for a break or eating a sandwich while sorting but they don’t even give me time for that.
Also worried I am not learning any methods that will actually help me actually make scratch. I am beginning to feel like The sup has something personal against me. Told me twice if I need to quit to call an hour before.
You need to stop and keep a clean truck. Otherwise it's going to cost you more time than not sorting.

Eventually the sup will be off car and you're just gonna have to figure out how to do it your way.