Major East Coast Blizzard

P

pickup

I am in Feeders and I am going in if they don't call me to say that I shouldn't . I wouldn't expect to go out on the roads and I would say no if they told me to. What I expect to be doing is moving trailers off of the bay doors so that the snow plows on property can plow the snow in those areas and then putting the trailers back on the doors. Repeat all day and punch out 14 hours later.

Got the call an hour ago, no work for this feeder driver tomorrow.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
What did you guys do during the "great power outage",..not sure of the year, but it occured throughout the upper Midwest and Great lakes region,..might have been 2005

We couldn't even park our cars in building,..until they could get generators running,..didn't even want drivers to get to their lockers to get the keys for personal vehicles

My first stop after work,..a few bags of ice, and a 12 pack,..then took my daughters for a walk around the dark ,silent neighborhood.....everybody was grilling the partially thawed meats from the freezer,....when in doubt GRILL
It was 2003. I was at the PGA championship at Oak Hill in Rochester and staying at a hotel in Canadaigua. Spent 5 hours driving,6 hours on the golf course and happy to get back to the room and air conditioning when the power went out. Man was I pissed

worldwide

I think for companies like ups and FedEx that preach safety as if they were paid every time they used the word "safety", it's contradictory how they approach snow and bad weather in the sense that they hardly ever take into consideration that it might be dangerous if an employee has to leave an hour and a half early because they have to "dig their car out", perhaps it isn't a good idea to even attempt to go into work that day?!?I feel as though driving in snow and bad conditions don't really have anything to do with how "tough" you are or how much you do or don't "complain", it's just not a smart thing to for your own personal safety and driving record. And if you do go in and have an accident the company will NEVER say "well hey thanks for coming in and TRyInG today", instead they will punish you or say it's your fault or possibly even move for termination, never a thank you for your effort, that's why id rather bang out than try to be a hero,Points and accidents can first and foremost physically harm you, but they also tarnish your license especially if you have a cdl, I feel the companies want people to feel like " yeah I'm a warrior I'm gonna battle the elements to get into work today" and if they do shut down (rarely) they won't let you know til your either there or on your way.... I don't think this will ever change but it would be nice if there was a more recognition of this by management as a HUgE safety issue in and of itself.... I gotta look out for the old number one here, my own safety and clean license

So would shutting down the majority of the Northeast count as a safety item? Obviously, UPS is shutting down because the government is shutting everything down. If there was no state of emergency, it would be business as usual, for UPS and the vast majority of other delivery companies and other businesses. The wheels of commerce have to turn.

1080Driver

We got a text message on the Diad today at 4:35 saying "we will be closed tomorrow..no PU or delivery work available..pls report at your scheduled start time wednesday". Then in the turn-in area another sign saying almost the same plus "next work day is 1/28/2015. Weather permitting"

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
So would shutting down the majority of the Northeast count as a safety item? Obviously, UPS is shutting down because the government is shutting everything down. If there was no state of emergency, it would be business as usual, for UPS and the vast majority of other delivery companies and other businesses. The wheels of commerce have to turn.
As your post is very informative it really isn't pertaining at all to the safety of the individual driver, so you mean to say that the economy and commerce as a whole are reason enough to put individuals with families in potential danger? I say as much as your comment makes economic sense, I say, as another member so eloquently put it in a previous post earlier, the company (ups, fedex, McDonald's, ext) can kiss my balls I gotta be safe I got kids the commerce and economy will be here tomorrow... Be safe everyone! Don't drink the company kool aid

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Be safe, everyone who's going to get slammed by this storm. Don't go anywhere you don't absolutely have to.

UPS doesn't have a choice but to close, road restrictions are preventing feeder drivers from bringing loads in (we aren't sending up ANY loads beyond Philly tonight). I imagine it'll be 2 storms for you guys. First, the actual massive snow storm. Followed by the massive S storm once all those loads finally make their way up the coast.