Major East Coast Blizzard

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My mom was near Dallas one year when it had an ice storm. None of the stores even had ice scrapers.
WhenI lived in South Florida...the 4 or 5 days a year the temperature dipped below 50....Everyone would break heavy coats, scarves and gloves like the Arctic winds were blowing. I'd be in shorts and a tshirt....omg...aren't you freezing???
No.

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
News to him tho. His limo picks him up at the (covered) front door.
this storm, or anything else in the press that the mayor can use to smokescreen away from his recent blatant retardation and fumbling is welcomed by him and his team of retards

oldngray

nowhere special
WhenI lived in South Florida...the 4 or 5 days a year the temperature dipped below 50....Everyone would break heavy coats, scarves and gloves like the Arctic winds were blowing. I'd be in shorts and a tshirt....omg...aren't you freezing???
No.

When I lived in Hawaii it dropped below 60 a couple of times. People were freezing to death (they thought) at 59.

undies

How does it work with snow/snowstorm? Tire chains on PC's? I'm in so cal so i just have to deal with rain and 60 degree weather.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was a part -timer when that big snow occured in NE Ohio,..my brother drove me to work (twi-lite shift)...he had a Chevy Chevette,..he made it back to the hub after my shift,...and we drove around for about an hour or so watching the snow pile up,..then hit a bar walking distance from home,...young and stupid
that's funny. I took my car to an empty parking lot and started having fun sliding all over the place. the lot attendant came out and tried to make me leave but I told him I was "practicing" he said he was gonna call the police. I played around for another 15 minutes and then left. wasn't that long ago. old and stupid.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Snippet from NWS GYX, pretty strong wording.

"THE GREATEST PERIOD OF CONCERN IS LOOK TO BE ROUGHLY 12Z TO 21Z
TUE. HERE THE BEST COMBINATION OF SNWFL AND WINDS LOOKS MOST
LIKELY. THE ECMWF HAS A 65+ KT LOW LEVEL JET AT 900 MB LIFTING NWD
ACROSS THE AREA. DEEP COLD AIR IN PLACE WILL ALLOW SOME OF THIS TO
MIX DOWN FAIRLY EASILY. GIVEN THE EXPECTED SNWFL AROUND THAT
TIME...AND POTENTIALLY 45-50 KT GUSTS MIXING DOWN...BLIZZARD
WARNINGS LOOK GOOD.
ELSEWHERE COULD SEE BRIEF NEAR-BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS BUT THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH CONFIDENCE TO EXPAND...OUTSIDE
OF ERN HILLSBOROUGH. WHERE THE COMBINATION OF 1 INCH OR MORE PER
HOUR RATES AND 50 KT GUSTS OCCURS...TRAVEL WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE AND
LIFE THREATENING.

THE NEXT 12 HOURS WILL BE CRITICAL AS MODELS BEGIN TO HONE IN ON
THE MESOSCALE DETAILS. SOME SURPRISES ARE STILL LIKELY WITH THIS
STORM...AS THE VERY DYNAMIC EVENTS CAN CAUSE NWP TO STRUGGLE AT
TIMES."

And BOX - oohh these are soon to be legendary NWS AFD's!

AS STATED THERE IS THE LIKELIHOOD OF TWO BANDING LOCATIONS...ONE
FROM TYPICAL MID-LVL DEFORMATION AND NEGATIVE EPV...WITH THE OTHER
CLOSER TO THE SFC INVOF OF THE COASTAL FRONT ACROSS RI-SE MA OR
NEAR THE I-95 CORRIDOR. WHILE NAILING THESE DOWN IS DIFFICULT
ALMOST 24 HOURS OUT...MESOSCALE MODELS DO AT THE VERY LEAST
INDICATE THAT WITHIN EITHER OF THESE BANDS...DENDRITIC GROWTH WILL
LIKELY BE NEAR A MAXIMUM AND WITH BANDS OF VERY NEGATIVE EPV...2-3
IN/HR SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WITHIN EITHER OF THESE BANDS ARE LIKELY
BEGINNING LATE TONIGHT...AND CONTINUING WELL INTO THE DAY ON TUE

AS THESE BANDS SLOWLY PIVOT AND BEGIN A SLOW SHIFT TO THE E. GIVEN
THE SLOW MOVEMENT...THIS ALSO SUGGESTS THAT SOME AREAS COULD SEE
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF ABOUT A FOOT IN 6 HOURS OR EVEN LESS.

:)

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
No.
its because your blood is thinner. I like living in a climate that can be quite harsh 5-6 months a year. 2 feet of snow in one night is not uncommon where I live and it never makes the national news. its all about your attitude about it. people here are a hardy bunch and don't complain.

i'll leave for work an hour and a half before my start time to be on time and when I get home after the same drive, i'll have to shovel for an hour or longer just to get in the garage. been doing this for almost 20 years until my kids got me a snowblower.

I missed only one day in 25 years because of the weather and that is only because I lost control of my car and smashed the front end up. I'm proud of my service record in that regard.

be safe.

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
its because your blood is thinner. I like living in a climate that can be quite harsh 5-6 months a year. 2 feet of snow in one night is not uncommon where I live and it never makes the national news. its all about your attitude about it. people here are a hardy bunch and don't complain.

i'll leave for work an hour and a half before my start time to be on time and when I get home after the same drive, i'll have to shovel for an hour or longer just to get in the garage. been doing this for almost 20 years until my kids got me a snowblower.

I missed only one day in 25 years because of the weather and that is only because I lost control of my car and smashed the front end up. I'm proud of my service record in that regard.

be safe.
I think for companies like ups and FedEx that preach safety as if they were paid every time they used the word "safety", it's contradictory how they approach snow and bad weather in the sense that they hardly ever take into consideration that it might be dangerous if an employee has to leave an hour and a half early because they have to "dig their car out", perhaps it isn't a good idea to even attempt to go into work that day?!?I feel as though driving in snow and bad conditions don't really have anything to do with how "tough" you are or how much you do or don't "complain", it's just not a smart thing to for your own personal safety and driving record. And if you do go in and have an accident the company will NEVER say "well hey thanks for coming in and TRyInG today", instead they will punish you or say it's your fault or possibly even move for termination, never a thank you for your effort, that's why id rather bang out than try to be a hero,Points and accidents can first and foremost physically harm you, but they also tarnish your license especially if you have a cdl, I feel the companies want people to feel like " yeah I'm a warrior I'm gonna battle the elements to get into work today" and if they do shut down (rarely) they won't let you know til your either there or on your way.... I don't think this will ever change but it would be nice if there was a more recognition of this by management as a HUgE safety issue in and of itself.... I gotta look out for the old number one here, my own safety and clean license

Sierra44

Now go home and get yer freakin’ shine box!!
Heard there is a nonessential travel ban from sometime tonight till Wednesday. Not sure how this affects us at this moment. I'm in Western Mass.

Fred Berry or no?
Fred-Berry-photo-2.jpg

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My mom was near Dallas one year when it had an ice storm. None of the stores even had ice scrapers.
I usually go up north of Dallas every year to visit my daughter in February for her birthday. Cant remember if it was last year or the year before, but the left lane of I-45 northbound from about Corsicana into Dallas was about 2' deep in snow. They don't own anything to plow it, I guess this far south.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Just received a reverse 911 call from my local police dept . stating Gov .Baker has declared a state wide emergency ban effective now .