Major East Coast Blizzard

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I think for companies like ups and FedEx that preach safety as if they were paid every time they used the word "safety", it's contradictory how they approach snow and bad weather in the sense that they hardly ever take into consideration that it might be dangerous if an employee has to leave an hour and a half early because they have to "dig their car out", perhaps it isn't a good idea to even attempt to go into work that day?!?I feel as though driving in snow and bad conditions don't really have anything to do with how "tough" you are or how much you do or don't "complain", it's just not a smart thing to for your own personal safety and driving record. And if you do go in and have an accident the company will NEVER say "well hey thanks for coming in and TRyInG today", instead they will punish you or say it's your fault or possibly even move for termination, never a thank you for your effort, that's why id rather bang out than try to be a hero,Points and accidents can first and foremost physically harm you, but they also tarnish your license especially if you have a cdl, I feel the companies want people to feel like " yeah I'm a warrior I'm gonna battle the elements to get into work today" and if they do shut down (rarely) they won't let you know til your either there or on your way.... I don't think this will ever change but it would be nice if there was a more recognition of this by management as a HUgE safety issue in and of itself.... I gotta look out for the old number one here, my own safety and clean license
ive been doing this for over 25 years and know my limitations. but I do see what you are saying. I have called out after a couple 3 bad days in a row to rest up. they have never given me a hard time about it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ditto s
I think for companies like ups and FedEx that preach safety as if they were paid every time they used the word "safety", it's contradictory how they approach snow and bad weather in the sense that they hardly ever take into consideration that it might be dangerous if an employee has to leave an hour and a half early because they have to "dig their car out", perhaps it isn't a good idea to even attempt to go into work that day?!?I feel as though driving in snow and bad conditions don't really have anything to do with how "tough" you are or how much you do or don't "complain", it's just not a smart thing to for your own personal safety and driving record. And if you do go in and have an accident the company will NEVER say "well hey thanks for coming in and TRyInG today", instead they will punish you or say it's your fault or possibly even move for termination, never a thank you for your effort, that's why id rather bang out than try to be a hero,Points and accidents can first and foremost physically harm you, but they also tarnish your license especially if you have a cdl, I feel the companies want people to feel like " yeah I'm a warrior I'm gonna battle the elements to get into work today" and if they do shut down (rarely) they won't let you know til your either there or on your way.... I don't think this will ever change but it would be nice if there was a more recognition of this by management as a HUgE safety issue in and of itself.... I gotta look out for the old number one here, my own safety and clean license
Ditto same here. I got a normal 45 to 50 min ride to work n if I feel it's not safe they can kiss my balls I'm calling in, is what it is dude. The days of actually caring remotely about that nonsense are long gone. It's obvious they don't care bout our safety so why should we risk our safety if we feel it may be in jeopardy, totally not worth it. There's always tomorrow for them packages, there may not be no tomorrow if we get into a bad accident.

UPSGUY72

Yup no work Wednesdsy isnt looking good either

Attachments

• 1422308895294.jpg
    1422308895294.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 261

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
ive been doing this for over 25 years and know my limitations. but I do see what you are saying. I have called out after a couple 3 bad days in a row to rest up. they have never given me a hard time about it.
I here ya too olroad no disrespect meant to you brother I say what I said for ME because I'm just getting over the days of feeling like I need to try and go out in any weather to be a "good company man" I see the job for what it is, A JOB, one I enjoy doing to a certain extent but the days of me Going "above and beyond"are over since a few years back I was out in a kinda small snowstorm turning my trailer in a parking lot and my tractor and trailer jacked after slipping on ice I was going like 10mph and when it jacked it ripped my air fairing, minor accident but MAJORLY my fault and company totally had no problem reminding me of that several hundred times, kinda killed my spirit, now I kinda look out for me and my license ever since then.... I feel like instead of a thank you I ended up getting an :censored2:....It's like you'll never get a good old thank you for even years of going the extra mile but you WILL certainly have bus tires all over your body once you make even the tiniest of mistakes

oldngray

nowhere special
Massachusetts Gov. Governor Charlie Baker issued a ban, effective at midnight, on non-essential motor vehicle travel., the Boston Globe reported. The MBTA will close after midnight and will have no service on Tuesday

Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy issued a statewide travel ban beginning at 9 p.m. Monday when the storm is expected to be at its heaviest. Malloy told reporters Monday the blizzard could potentially be a record-setter and urged all residents to stay indoors. He said that if residents lose power, they will likely be without it for "several days."

New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts all declared a state of emergency, with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie advising against unnecessary travel.
http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2015/01/26/northeast-braces-for-another-major-snowstorm/

tarbar66

Brown Bulletin
retrieve.php

retrieve.php

With a severe winter storm predicted to impact the Northeast, our team is closely monitoring weather conditions and has contingency plans in place.

We will work to ensure the safety of our employees while minimizing effects on service, and we will move shipments to their final destinations as quickly as possible as conditions permit.

Visit ups.com for the latest information about service impacts and to track the status of your packages. As we assess local conditions during the storm, we will post ZIP codes where no pickups or deliveries are being made, which will be updated as new information becomes available.

Resources
To be notified via email or text when the status of your package has changed, select the Request Status Updates feature when tracking your shipment on ups.com. Please continue to check ups.com for service updates as well.

For information about the service impact on UPS Freight pickups and deliveries, please visit UPS Freight.

Note that the UPS Service Guarantee does not apply when transportation networks are disrupted due to events of this nature. For more information, refer to the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service.

I was just checking email and I got this Brown bulletin.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Looks like most of the operation in 177's area in NJ has been called off.

Edison, Tinton Falls are definitely closed, have to imagine Lakewood, Bound Brook, Gould Ave., Meadowlands, Trenton, LIC, and Staten Italy are all closed too.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I here ya too olroad no disrespect meant to you brother I say what I said for ME because I'm just getting over the days of feeling like I need to try and go out in any weather to be a "good company man" I see the job for what it is, A JOB, one I enjoy doing to a certain extent but the days of me Going "above and beyond"are over since a few years back I was out in a kinda small snowstorm turning my trailer in a parking lot and my tractor and trailer jacked after slipping on ice I was going like 10mph and when it jacked it ripped my air fairing, minor accident but MAJORLY my fault and company totally had no problem reminding me of that several hundred times, kinda killed my spirit, now I kinda look out for me and my license ever since then.... I feel like instead of a thank you I ended up getting an :censored2:....It's like you'll never get a good old thank you for even years of going the extra mile but you WILL certainly have bus tires all over your body once you make even the tiniest of mistakes
very common story. all of us started out busting our guts out for this company until we had an accident or got hurt and its like the bosses are thanking the gods that they have a reason to kick our teeth in over it. it sure kills enthusiasm, doesn't it?

my loyalty is to my family. it is my responsibility to work hard but come home safe at the end of the day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Remember when you guys were busting our balls about the ice down here in Ga, I'll quote one of ya'll, "I don't see why it's such a big deal, it's just a little more snow than you're used too".

Seriously though, piss on packages, stay safe.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Ice falls and stays put .
Here snow falls and the gale force winds keep blowing it around .
White out conditions make seeing impossible .