Make the Teamsters dangerous again

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Never needed, or asked for, union protection from 1986 to 2014.
Mercy me.
I just did my job as professionally as I could and followed the rules of employment.
It was 19yrs before I ever called in sick and it was the only day in 28 and1/2 years.
I realize that I am a mid last century relic and was raised with work ethics.
3D2ECEF8-E00E-459F-B719-1196E6908640.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We've been doing zoom meetings. No one even has to drive or anything. They can also take a lunch during work and participate....

Guess how many more people started participating in the zoom meeting???

Dumb truck drivers don't know how to use technology. The ones that do log in look like cats and ostriches.

Undertow

I went to the monthly membership meeting today. It might come down to a strike in 2023. I know it seems wild, but to my ears it sounds like it's on the table. Why wouldn't it be in this climate?! Look at what the John Deere workers just accomplished! For once us workers are in the driver's seat, and I can't foresee this 'labor shortage' disappearing anytime soon. While making its record-shattering profits, the truth is, the company probably needs us more than ever. The 'reserve army' of scabs willing and able to do our jobs isn't there.

There will be no harm in preparing -- above all, financially, since that's what it's all about -- and this union could withstand plenty of internal organizing. I have only been a Teamster for 2.5 years, but it has been apparent from the get-go that the IBT has been resting on its laurels, gotten complacent, and is no longer considered a threat. I do what I can (and I could always do more) as a rank and file member with some knowledge to embolden coworkers to enforce our existing contracts, weak as they are, but it is not easy when people have already been well-heeled by this society. We all know them, the people who are scared to 'make waves', who fear 'targets on their back' ... and who usually don't know the book, aren't involved, and cut corners.

It is time to make waves. High time. Take a blowtorch to the 'golden handcuffs' and stand up for the PTers too! But we won't be able to do it unless we get ready. Everything helps. Get a beer with a coworker. Chat on the boxline, in the parking lot, the break area. Start a group text. Go to the damn union meetings. Solidarity isn't in the grand gestures, it's in the details.
Heck I was ready to strike over the current contract when it was foisted on members that actually were engaged enough to vote NO on it. I wasn't all that exited about O Brien's use of the term "militant" as that word made many of my coworkers uncomfortable, but the results of the election are what they are. August of 2023 is still over a year and a half out, so there's plenty outside of our control that could impact negotiations. Who knows where public sentiment will be by then?

I think as workers, and maybe just as important, as dues paying members, it's important at the present to focus on matters we do have control over.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Heck I was ready to strike over the current contract when it was foisted on members that actually were engaged enough to vote NO on it. I wasn't all that exited about O Brien's use of the term "militant" as that word made many of my coworkers uncomfortable, but the results of the election are what they are. August of 2023 is still over a year and a half out, so there's plenty outside of our control that could impact negotiations. Who knows where public sentiment will be by then?

I think as workers, and maybe just as important, as dues paying members, it's important at the present to focus on matters we do have control over.
Bingo!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Make the Teamsters dangerous again?
Carey is dead. Teamsters were dangerous when he was at the top. UPS left us alone.
Now? From what I read on the BC,
Company: Bend Over!
Driver: Thank you, Sir! Can I have another?