Make the Teamsters dangerous again

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Contract negotiations haven't even started and y'all are already screaming strike. Do you legit have no faith whatsoever in our president elect?

It would require faith in the new pres elect to believe a strike is even possible. It certainly wasn't under Hoffa, and they assured the company that was the case.

Back From Break
It would require faith in the new pres elect to believe a strike is even possible. It certainly wasn't under Hoffa, and they assured the company that was the case.

Talk about a broken record.

ight, and I still believe, because we had already authorized a strike through a separate vote, that the IBT was not required to ratify.

That may well have been the reality, but they had no business claiming they had to ratify based on the constitution. They should have just been honest and said that they didn't believe they had enough support for a strike.

Better yet, they could have at least heard what UPS was willing to budge on.

We should strike UPS for that, and stand in solidarity with our union brothers and sisters across the country in standing up for our jobs and our bodily autonomy.

I don't know what it means to "put everyone that's a Teamsters out on strike". Like forcing them against their will? Let me use the logic of the other side of the mandate debate:

You knew when you signed up for a union job that you might have to go on strike. No one's forcing you to go on strike, if you don't want to strike, you can get a non-union job.

Not necessarily. Just don't know if it needs to be every teamster. Some companies might do the right thing. And we know that even an approved strike vote doesn't always get honored.

I'm talking hypothetically. There are plenty of employers who have caved to the pretend mandates and taken illegal action of their own accord. Walk outs and strikes are already having a positive impact on that.

Emergency injunctive relief has been about 50/50 on the current law suits. And the law suits themselves can take months or years to accomplish anything. Teamsters could file labor charges, particularly if there was no bargaining over the mandates, but my guess is that the NRLB would side with the company due to the illegal mandates. Anything's possible, but I guess it's great strategy to telegraph to businesses that union workers are unwilling to strike when necessary.

Non sequitor. There won't be a strike because union members are unwilling to use the single greatest tool in their tool box to stand up for their rights against a totalitarian government.

These things have to be fought in the court of public opinion. If the union and company get the message that we are willing to strike, they will make the right decision the first go round. Easier to get it right the first time than to have to fight the wrong decision after the fact.

I'm not for striking before the company makes its position on the mandate clear. Talking about it before that will help pressure the company to make the right decision. Even if opinion is somewhat split, it will still make the decision to go along with the mandate a huge gamble. Better they spend millions, along with other industry leaders, to fight the government than stand to lose 10's of millions in a strike.

friend you don't want to strike you can find a job at a non-unionized company. If a company wants to take advantage of, and profit from, the economic conditions of a free society, they have to accept that their employees have rights, and not violate those rights. If they don't like operating in a free society, they can set up shop in China and allow themselves to be run by the CCP. That sword cuts both ways.

I'm not worried. Testing is battery and invasion of privacy. If I don't feel well, I will call in sick, that's all they need to know. Look up the lawsuit pay-outs for employers' actions regarding HIV. Masks are also battery and a violation of the FD&CA section on EUA medical devices. Private industry currently has a government problem, if they go along with their pretend mandates to avoid their government problems, they will soon have an employee problem.

You sound like you're worried about having to strike, so you can not worry for the moment.

Ok. Enjoy being a scab with a jab when the Union legally goes on strike

It's will be. I know you don't envision a future since you voluntarily took murder juice, but unions that represent their members will strike if the mandates aren't struck down. Many have already made statements stating such. I know you enjoy getting abused on the internet for demonstrating deep levels of ignorance, but you could make a little effort to be informed.

Lol. Sorry you're afraid to strike. You gonna be another scab with a jab?

Many BA's are on the company's side. The union will not call for a strike, unless they realize they will have thousands of members out of work who will all be withdrawing their lump sums from their pensions, collapsing the pensions. But union officials aren't very proactive about protecting the pensions. They'll sell the left over UPS employees down the river to get UPS to bail out the pensions.

I should clarify, I am only stirring the pot with the strike talk. I'm prepared for a strike, like every good union member should be. But all of these people telling us to "just get the shot", are far more afraid of striking than they are of covid. They know they can't survive without this job, so they are projecting their insecurities on to others to try to shame them into compliance. It would be funny, if it weren't so sad. They keep up their nonsense, so I keep antagonizing them. If they realized that making the company think you are ready for a strike is the best way to avoid having to strike, there would be no problem. But they keep tipping their hands, because they don't understand strategy.

Poor suckers. Should have been prepared for a strike when taking a union job. Oh well, I guess they will just have to have their boats and trucks repossessed.

Sounds like another scared union member who's unprepared to strike. They don't have a choice. They strike or the pensions go belly up and everyone decertifies, and the teamsters cease to exist. See you as you cross the picket line.

How to tell the difference between a good union bro and a management simp/shill when talking about striking:

Good Union Bro: strike? He'll yeah! Let's teach those freakers who's boss!

Management Simp/Shill:

-Pfftt... The union isn't going to strike.

-This isn't worth striking over.

-UPS wants the union to strike so they can lock us out.

-I can't strike! I have boat payments!

-Stop talking about striking, it makes me scared.

- We aren't going to strike just because over 80% of members don't like what's happening.

The moral of the story is: be a Good Union Bro, don't be a management simp/shill. And, absolutely don't be a scab just because you're jabbed.

I have told you several times what we will be striking over. Ttku. I know your fear has you in denial. I'll bring the pb sammiches.

What is "Things a management simp who is too afraid to strike would say?"

That is correct.

But, no, I have to save the pb sammiches for all the grasshoppers out there who refused to prepare because they wanted to be union members but didn't want to do the hard part of being in a union. See you on the picket line.

No one's talking about a wild cat strike, except the management simps who are too afraid to strike.

You're right, that couldn't be the reason because it's not true. We are striking to protect our civil liberties. Thanks for the clarification. Don't be afraid to strike. Be a good union bro.

All of this could be avoided, if only we didn't have so many management simps, too scared to strike. If you don't want to strike, you are free to get a non-union job. No one is forcing you to strike.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

This election was a beat down to the nigh degree...Similar to what Ohio State did to Michigan State yesterday..It was 49-0 heading into Canada, the Vairma team did not have a pass defense, whereas O'Brien slate had 4 pro ready receivers, plus two all star running backs.

The HOFFA factor can not be underplayed, his 20 years of weak leadership and subpar contracts was in play during this election, Vairma never had a chance, face it a major shift has occurred with our Union. Sure only 15 % of all the eligible Teamster members even turned in a vote but those again are only ones that count, the other 85 % chose to not participate and will continue to pay Union dues for nothing. If we could study the history of the Teamster elections when the rank and file were permitted to cast votes would it be fair to say a message was sent to every Corporation and Company involved, or will be involved with the Teamsters in the future.

Another factor is the COVID pandemic. It has changed everything and will probably will affect the next the 2023 contract, the leadership on both sides have already studied and planned for it. The Company wants to expand into same day delivery, 7 day 24 hour delivery and pick up..the Central States bail out which they lobbied for releases them from covering their retirees and future retirees, saving themselves roughly 2.5 billion a year. They are eliminating their management plan which will save them a similar amount annually, their profits are up, their shareholders are happy as their stock duplicated. Their project volume over the next 5 years will be skyrocketing and they are continuing to rise their revenue through added costs and the usual 5 to 6 % annual increases.

The UNION now under O'BRIEN will be going into these next negotiations as true leaders, if a strike vote is taken it will not just be a facade...He means it, whereas Hoffa no so. These concessions over the years will be on the table, the OZ team has already stated that these 22.4 positions will be RPCD's plain and simple, and from I heard most of the operational management teams hate dealing with the 22.4's because of the turnover. It is a bad sign when the Company has to pay more than what the Contract speculates, starting hourly rate will be close to 25 dollars an hour for off the street full timers, part timers off the street will start at 20 bucks an hour. Progression can be negotiated down from 4 years, this progression business started out in the 80's and it was originally one year.

My own issue is and has been with the pension disparity...as an example a 30 year full time pension; one conference pays close to 6,000 whereas another pays 4,000...This IBT/UPS pension plan has to improve, that 25 and out formula of 2,000 before age 57 is pathetic compared to most of the Conferences. Those part time years that most of the full timers have vested under the IBT/UPS are under a separate company controlled pension plan that pays peanuts, it should be set up similar to the West were that service time is formulated into your full time years. You can transfer funds from one pension plan to another, those years under the UPS Pension Plan for part timers can be added to hour full time years easily, the Company has done it in the past.

In closing I have to state a fact ... Last year we had a 50 year full time Teamster Member over 70 years old retire with a grand total retirement benefit of ($2250) under the Ohio Rider. The Brother fought tooth and nail over the years to get those numbers up to his fellow members, the Union leadership failed him and his fellow members because they were not willing to fight on their behalf or so weak that they had concerns of retaliation from the Company, so they cut and run, and also hid. After all it is only a handful of it's members, who cares...

I went to the monthly membership meeting today. It might come down to a strike in 2023. I know it seems wild, but to my ears it sounds like it's on the table. Why wouldn't it be in this climate?! Look at what the John Deere workers just accomplished! For once us workers are in the driver's seat, and I can't foresee this 'labor shortage' disappearing anytime soon. While making its record-shattering profits, the truth is, the company probably needs us more than ever. The 'reserve army' of scabs willing and able to do our jobs isn't there.

There will be no harm in preparing -- above all, financially, since that's what it's all about -- and this union could withstand plenty of internal organizing. I have only been a Teamster for 2.5 years, but it has been apparent from the get-go that the IBT has been resting on its laurels, gotten complacent, and is no longer considered a threat. I do what I can (and I could always do more) as a rank and file member with some knowledge to embolden coworkers to enforce our existing contracts, weak as they are, but it is not easy when people have already been well-heeled by this society. We all know them, the people who are scared to 'make waves', who fear 'targets on their back' ... and who usually don't know the book, aren't involved, and cut corners.

It is time to make waves. High time. Take a blowtorch to the 'golden handcuffs' and stand up for the PTers too! But we won't be able to do it unless we get ready. Everything helps. Get a beer with a coworker. Chat on the boxline, in the parking lot, the break area. Start a group text. Go to the damn union meetings. Solidarity isn't in the grand gestures, it's in the details.
Maybe you should work some Saturdays and bank that money....

Whither

Scofflaw
All we got was $50.00 a week from the union in ‘97. They need a strike fund
If I recall correctly strike pay is 5 times your monthly dues each week. Also the rule re: getting strike pay only from the 8th day onward was changed at the convention this year, so there's pay from day 1. Still would be a significant pay cut for those who haven't prepared. I read there's over $320 million in the IBT strike fund. Locals also have their own strike funds.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
If I recall correctly strike pay is 5 times your monthly dues each week. Also the rule re: getting strike pay only from the 8th day onward was changed at the convention this year, so there's pay from day 1. Still would be a significant pay cut for those who haven't prepared. I read there's over $320 million in the IBT strike fund. Locals also have their own strike funds.
They were woefully unprepared in 97. Hopefully, they will do better if we have another strike. But you’re right, still isn’t much money for a prolonged strike..

I know just a random ballpark number but I did the math

Even though that sounds like a lot of money it really isn't
Screenshot_20211121-122707.png