Make the Teamsters dangerous again

Whither

Scofflaw
Start submitting contract proposals.

So far the main two things I've heard

22.4s make too little.

New hires make too much.

Now those 2 seem to be opposite demands. So Idk how Sean will be able to figure that out.
I began doing that this past spring. :wink-very:
  • Significant raises for PTers.
  • Company pays into pension for all hours worked, not just the first 40, and prorated pension credits for all hours worked above 1801.
  • Company pays into separate fund that injured employees can draw on to make up the difference between short-term disability benefits and a 40 hr FT week, 20 hr PT week. Could potentially be 'deducted' from what would otherwise go to raises. My wife's electrician's local is making this proposal in their upcoming contract negotiations, apparently it can be done in their local for something like 8 cents/hr worked.
  • Abolition of 22.4 classification, all existing 22.4s classified as RPCDs.
  • Strict language limiting compulsory 6 punches, e.g., The company agrees to exercise due diligence to maintain adequate staffing levels for its operations and to respect its employees scheduled days off. Excepting the period between Nov 15 to Jan 1 no employee shall be required to report for a sixth punch more than 5 times per calendar year, and shall only be so required after the company has solicited volunteers from the top of the seniority list down, building-wide, within the classification. If sufficient volunteers are not obtained, the company must provide compelling evidence to the union that more employees are required to complete the extra work, and only then may force from the bottom upward, building-wide, within the classification. This language shall not override any supplemental or rider language, or past practices, strictly protecting the 5 day work week. The company agrees to provide at least 72 hours notice to any employee required to report for a sixth punch.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
  • Company pays into pension for all hours worked, not just the first 40, and prorated pension credits for all hours worked above 1801.
  • Company pays into separate fund that injured employees can draw on to make up the difference between short-term disability benefits and a 40 hr FT week, 20 hr PT week. Could potentially be 'deducted' from what would otherwise go to raises. My wife's electrician's local is making this proposal in their upcoming contract negotiations, apparently it can be done in their local for something like 8 cents/hr worked.
  • Strict language limiting compulsory 6 punches, e.g., The company agrees to exercise due diligence to maintain adequate staffing levels for its operations and to respect its employees scheduled days off. Excepting the period between Nov 15 to Jan 1 no employee shall be required to report for a sixth punch more than 5 times per calendar year, and shall only be so required after the company has solicited volunteers from the top of the seniority list down, building-wide, within the classification. If sufficient volunteers are not obtained, the company must provide compelling evidence to the union that more employees are required to complete the extra work, and only then may force from the bottom upward, building-wide, within the classification. This language shall not override any supplemental or rider language, or past practices, strictly protecting the 5 day work week. The company agrees to provide at least 72 hours notice to any employee required to report for a sixth punch.
Very nice. Ambitious, but very logical. Good job.

Whither

Scofflaw
Very nice. Ambitious, but very logical. Good job.
Thanks. No point in meek proposals, nor in proposing things meekly. And certainly not while the company keeps shattering its profit records. Did you see, they netted more profit in the first 3 quarters this year than they did all last year, or any year prior. That wouldn't have happened without us. My take on negotiations is you always ask for better than you're willing to settle for, and really, the company may need us more than ever in this labor market.

UnionStrong

Thanks. No point in meek proposals, nor in proposing things meekly. And certainly not while the company keeps shattering its profit records. Did you see, they netted more profit in the first 3 quarters this year than they did all last year, or any year prior. That wouldn't have happened without us. My take on negotiations is you always ask for better than you're willing to settle for, and really, the company may need us more than ever in this labor market.
You’re not wrong. Especially about the labor market.

Whither

Scofflaw
Well guess what buddy. The more money you give the teamsters do you think they will want anybody go on strikes so they can give that money back?

I'll keep my own freaking money
I think @Wally was only suggesting that the union encourage members to set up personal savings accounts, in their own names, in case of a strike. And maybe the accounts would come w some perks. Not that the union would control the funds.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

UnionStrong

If the part timers want a significant raise they need to give up health insurance and vacations and all the other benefits no other part time employees anywhere enjoy
Then we can negotiate
I don’t think UPSers actually know what healthcare costs these days.

Whither

Scofflaw
I got off the drive when the teamsters backed Obama
I caved in to peer pressure right after I made book. On the hook for 2 bucks a week. I know I can cancel it, but I guess it's one of many things I just overlook about the union. I've never thought us workers had a political party that could represent us.