Making UPS a career?

JL 0513

Seeing your posts makes me honestly not want to work at UPS, but when i see other posts it makes me think it isn't so bad.

Don't listen to most of the negativity. This is the internet where people notoriously complain. Yet none of these people would ever quit driving. That tells you everything you need to know. You simply cannot make more money/benefits legitimately and think less.

The hardest part is going through the usually long process of becoming a driver. You're in the perfect position at just 16 to start that journey assuming you can get hired part time to begin with. It usually takes 2-6 years to get the opportunity. Then qualifying for driving is a 30 day test of your abilities. After that, it's 4 years to get top rate. This sounds like a lot and it is. But there's a very good job at the end.

Consider yourself lucky if you get started at 18. Many of us, take me for example, started P/T at 28 and then it took 5.5 years to go driving. I'm now 37 and will just be reaching top rate in 6 weeks. If I could go back to high school and knew about this, I would have tried to get in. Instead, I went to college for 2 separate degrees at which point I no longer wanted to do what I went for.

Good luck :)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
people who have spent years for education and training for a career have an investment that they don't want to give up on regardless if they like it or not. the good money is hard to give up and once you get older it is very difficult to start all over at the bottom.

i wish i were 18 again and knew what i know now, ha ha.

Lucidd

people who have spent years for education and training for a career have an investment that they don't want to give up on regardless if they like it or not. the good money is hard to give up and once you get older it is very difficult to start all over at the bottom.

i wish i were 18 again and knew what i know now, ha ha.

So your saying UPS is a good career choice?

Lucidd

Just being honest pay is not very good starting out, and you have,to be 21 to drive
That's fine. I'll move up to driver eventually lol. Does anyone think I'm making a mistake considering UPS for a career or is it seriously not that bad if you get used to it?

PT Car Washer

My building has had many PTers start at 17. Most started on either the Day sort or Twilight sort. Just have to adjust your Senior class schedule to fit UPS start times or graduate early.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
That's fine. I'll move up to driver eventually lol. Does anyone think I'm making a mistake considering UPS for a career or is it seriously not that bad if you get used to it?

Keep your options open with school. Everything looks easy from the outside, and everyone is not cut out to drive. There are moments when you wonder what you have gotten yourself into

PT Car Washer

Seriously a lot of drivers love the job. Maybe the long hours get to be a grind at times but the fat paycheck makes up for it. Not everyone works 50 to 60 hours every week unless they want that many hours.

Lucidd

Seriously a lot of drivers love the job. Maybe the long hours get to be a grind at times but the fat paycheck makes up for it. Not everyone works 50 to 60 hours every week unless they want that many hours.

Well the other career im debating about going into is trucking. That's how i found out about working at UPS. I wanted a job to work at at the age of 18 that'll give me driving experience so i could be a OTR trucker at 21. Now i realize that you cannot even be a UPS driver until you work your way up to it and until your 21. But there's also the option of feeder driving, UPS pays more, and has benefits.

No job interests me as much as trucking, but the pay for trucking seems to really suck. So would UPS be a good substitute for me if i plan to work my way up to driver or feeder? Seems like job i'd really love honestly. Lots of people here seem perfectly fine working with UPS.

Lucidd

Your super helpful lol. I think I'm starting to consider UPS even more. How much do they drug test? :biggrin: LOL