Making UPS a career?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I posted this on my last thread, so please forgive me. I just wanted to post this on a separate thread all together.

Hello everyone, I'm 16 and looking to make UPS a career. I don't want a career that requires me to think a crap ton. I just want to do a basic job, make good money and go home. I don't want to do anything special anymore like being a doctor, or an engineer or something. I feel like just settling down with UPS honestly... I don't mind working much anymore. A job is a job. I was planning on being a doctor, and the kind i wanted to be works 80+ hours a week and i was fine with it. I think i'll just make UPS my career since i'll make good money and have benefits. Like i honestly don't care what job i do as long as i make good money. I don't care if i'll have to work in crap conditions such as snow. I love snow. Like i just want to drive, deliver packages, make money and enjoy my life, not spend years in school after graduating high school, only to perhaps be making less money then i would be if i'd just gone for UPS. I understand that I'll have to work my way up to full time driver, and i'm fine with that. At 18 i'll be getting paid more then any 18 year old right off the bat, and in a few years i'd be making good money all without needing to go to college.
Ahhhh to be 16 again.

GenericUsername

I've been a lurker on this site and posting randomly here or there, so I'm going to weigh in on what little experience I have with UPS so far.

I started as a seasonal driver in October 2014 and was hired on as a package handler (preload). The early mornings are dreadful, no lie. But it's quite fun if you have the right people around you on the belt and a good supervisor - otherwise it's not the greatest. Every morning is a workout then the day is started after work... Most of the guys have another job they go to, some don't. If you're wanting your own apartment, you're going to be in the former of the two. If you're into technology and stuff, you should definitely look into getting (at least) an A+ certification and do some computer repair/whatever during the time you're not a driver. You'll know pretty quickly if you want to hang out with UPS for the 3 years until you're 21 or not. At least this way you'll have a backup plan where you can make somewhere around $30 an hour if you play your cards right.

I would suggest after getting on-board that you sign up for the first peak season as a driver helper since you won't be old enough. This will really give you the best look into whether or not you want to become a driver. Personally, I love it. Some of the drivers have grown to resent it over the years but stick with it for the money. There's a sense of freedom working outdoors by yourself and getting the job done. I came from a retail background in the grocery business with 12+ years of experience. No lie, it was difficult giving up the pay I was making to pursue a career I actually wanted to do. I had grown bored in retail and had no more challenges to go through. Every day at UPS is a challenge. When I preload, I load 4 cars (3 routes, 1 route shares 2 cars, 1 of which is a 24 ft box truck). I average anywhere between 1000-1300 pieces per day. If they have me drive after, it's usually not too bad. Normally there are 100-130 stops but mostly resi's. You don't really have to worry about being out until 8 or 9 doing this because of the DOT hour limitations.

But man, Fridays are the best day every when you've driven a few days the week prior. Opening that check/looking at the bank account is like Christmas morning every single time. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
image.gif

Lucidd

Aside from where you said about making any worthwhile money here at 18, holy hell are you right about everything else. I used to be much more career oriented, and put a lot of my focus on a highly job-centric life. But from college, to one job, to the next, it was just one big disappointment after the other. I really felt like I was never going to be satisfied with my life for some reason. I was pissing away so much money on things like degrees and certificates and licenses and with each one I was even less motivated to look for something else.

Then, one day a huge sack of bricks burst through my window and smacked me in the side of the head so :censored2: hard I was out for three days. When I finally came to, I realized I had it all wrong the whole time. Why the hell would I want my life to revolve around something as arbitrary as a job? Maybe that works for a lot of people, but I sure as sh* am not one of them.

I realized a job was only that. A job; nothing more than a means to fund an actual life that begins again as soon as you punch out. They all suck. And you can jump from job to job for years, fighting for "promotions" and "climbing the ladder", trying to be happy with your silly "career", but all you really can hope for is to find the one that sucks less.

Once I got into UPS and started driving, I eventually realized that this is probably the best possible spot I could be in. A high hourly-waged job where you only work from punch to punch with positively no personal involvement while off the clock. Now, people who say they love what they do, they're full of it. But here, I at least like it enough that I really see no point in looking elsewhere. It's not easy by any means, but it's simple.

Some days suck pretty bad but that's any job. And the days that are good (or at least decent) fly by so fast you're making your last pick up and driving home before you know it. And it's true you'd be hard pressed to find a comparatively compensating, more secure job that allows you to keep your nose so clean.

From what I can tell about your attitude towards jobs I think it will be a decision you'll be glad you made. Maybe get a CDL or something as a safety net, but other than that, just ride out the game like I do and enjoy your life.

Thanks I appreciate the comment. A job is nothing but a means to get money and a status. :censored2: status. I could careless if I'm working at UPS and someone else is a doctor. At least I'll be making money without having had to go to college and :censored2: lmao. So let's say its now the year 2018 instead of 2016. I am now 18 years old, and looking to work at UPS. Would UPS still be a good company to work for and would it be future proof? I mean like. Were talking about trying to go to Mars by 2030 and stuff. Will UPS still be a good company around that time? Its lasted all of these years right. Surely it can't be that bad.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Thanks I appreciate the comment. A job is nothing but a means to get money and a status. :censored2: status. I could careless if I'm working at UPS and someone else is a doctor. At least I'll be making money without having had to go to college and :censored2: lmao. So let's say its now the year 2018 instead of 2016. I am now 18 years old, and looking to work at UPS. Would UPS still be a good company to work for and would it be future proof? I mean like. Were talking about trying to go to Mars by 2030 and stuff. Will UPS still be a good company around that time? Its lasted all of these years right. Surely it can't be that bad.
As far as jobs and status goes I've always felt bad for people who their job is the biggest thing they have going to represent them. One of the first things people ask when they meet you: "So what do you do?" I just gotta roll my eyes. Like who cares? Though UPS drivers do have a pretty good reputation amongst people as I've always gotten a positive response (I mean let's face it, this is essentially the male equivalent of a hot nurse).

Now the current contract is set until July 31, 2018. So you should be able to get in before they try and negotiate an even more weak-ass, broken-ass contract. Unfortunately, when you start driving, the active contract at the time is what applies to your wage progression. Now it's only one contract away so I wouldn't worry about it a whole damn lot as it will still likely make you better off than most other jobs out there.

And as far as looking further into the future goes, I'm really not worried a whole lot. I probably got 30 more years to go myself but the company's already lasted well over 100. Will there be more competition than FedEx by then? Likely. Will UPS take an even smaller share of the market and downsize as a result? Possibly. But will it remain a front runner? I wouldn't doubt it. I don't doubt they'll try something stupid again like ORION but there's not enough going on to have me losing sleep at this point. Even with everything Amazon's doing right now.

Dr.Brownz

I posted this on my last thread, so please forgive me. I just wanted to post this on a separate thread all together.

Hello everyone, I'm 16 and looking to make UPS a career. I don't want a career that requires me to think a crap ton. I just want to do a basic job, make good money and go home. I don't want to do anything special anymore like being a doctor, or an engineer or something. I feel like just settling down with UPS honestly... I don't mind working much anymore. A job is a job. I was planning on being a doctor, and the kind i wanted to be works 80+ hours a week and i was fine with it. I think i'll just make UPS my career since i'll make good money and have benefits. Like i honestly don't care what job i do as long as i make good money. I don't care if i'll have to work in crap conditions such as snow. I love snow. Like i just want to drive, deliver packages, make money and enjoy my life, not spend years in school after graduating high school, only to perhaps be making less money then i would be if i'd just gone for UPS. I understand that I'll have to work my way up to full time driver, and i'm fine with that. At 18 i'll be getting paid more then any 18 year old right off the bat, and in a few years i'd be making good money all without needing to go to college.

Learn a trade. I reccomend brick laying or stone masonry. Both are in short supply and both have unions.
Both are easier work than ups.

GenericUsername

Without a doubt you should look into getting scholarships no matter what. Then you can take your general classes for 2 years while you're with UPS. If after 2 years you know that UPS is what you really want to do, you can finish out your degree in something that pertains to the transportation/logistics. This way if you decide you'd rather be on the other side of things you'll have a more extensive knowledge...and you'll have a degree under your belt too. You can always do college + work.

Dr.Brownz

That's it! I'm sold. Ah, feels good not having to go to college to make good money LOL. I just want to get a good job at 18, move into an apartment, work, and do whatever on my time off. Perhaps go meet chicks or something at college universities that i do not attend haha. You guy's are pretty chill on this site. I hope there's people like you when i start working at UPS when i'm 18.

The best part of college is meeting women and getting laid every single night

Lucidd

Without a doubt you should look into getting scholarships no matter what. Then you can take your general classes for 2 years while you're with UPS. If after 2 years you know that UPS is what you really want to do, you can finish out your degree in something that pertains to the transportation/logistics. This way if you decide you'd rather be on the other side of things you'll have a more extensive knowledge...and you'll have a degree under your belt too. You can always do college + work.

Your correct. I'm thinking about either going to college for two years or just going to trade school for 6 months - 2 years. Ups will always be here for me.

L

Little Brownie Girl

and tuition assistance ???? so you could take a few accounting/IT classes to prepare for management while PT??

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@Lucidd , another option to consider, start at UPS as soon as you can, then take a leave of absence to serve in the military (maybe become a truck driver or truck/equipment mechanic). There are rules/laws in place that would allow you to return to UPS afterwards, retaining your seniority to bid on a FT driving job.