Making UPS a career?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My brother joined the pipefitters union over thirty years ago, you start as an apprentice and back then you just had to show up. I applied after high school but was turned down due to Affirmative Action in the late 70's. He started out wielding pipes together in commercial construction, now he basically stands around 80 hours a week in the Corvette plant just in case something on the assembly line breaks or a new piece of equipment gets installed. Very cushy job, double time on weekends and he has to be there to watch any private contractors that work in the building.

clean hairy

Heating and A/C repair.
12 moths a year solid income.
Name your price on the hottest and coldest days of the year, you will get plenty of takers!

NateGRoebuck

All these people saying no to making ups a career suck it. Yeah if you can't make it in preload beachside you think it's too hard your a pusillanimous. Part time has the best health insurance out there, better than any job you'll ever get or trade. 10 dollar co pay. Can't beat the dental 100% paid for. Cover drive after two years or less at some locations. Making $30.70/hr anything over 8 hours in a day is time in a half. So that extra hour or two you work you're making 46.00/hr. Go find that at any other job. Anybody that is telling you not to to make UPS your career especially Soo young. Go for it, you never know by the time you are 21-22 years old with no education or student loans you could be making 80-100k per year. With killer health insurance. paid holidays, double time and a half if you work on holiday. Starting pay as part time 11.50 or some shot like that, guaranteed raise every year. 4 option weeks paid, 4 weeks vacation time paid, 40 option hours paid. 5 option days paid. Most major holidays we get off and still get paid for it. Protected by union so almost impossible to lose your job unless you're just sorry, lazy or a thief. But take UPS as a career I wish I started at age 18. I waited till I was 26 before I decided to, went to trade school, has student loans. UPS is free and the hard work is worth it. Once you start driving yeah it's hard some days, but not everyday. And at the end of the day you just made $300+, not counting the tremendous benefits we got. TAKE THE JOB AT UPS. Some of the management at some locations still try to run it like it's still in the 90's but just work hard and never let em see you sweat!!!
I AM A UPSER
IN LOVING MEMEORY OF BRIAN AND DOUG HUTCHINSON THE VICTIMS OF THE ROEBUCK, AL Location, those two managers were the best. We will all love and miss you both!!

NateGRoebuck

Not from what I've seen. My mom was single when raising me, and she was a nurse. She never had trouble supporting the two of us, but she worked at night, on-call, and during the day sometimes. 12-hour shifts were not unusual.

It may be the case that things have changed a lot since back then, but I know nurses now who have crazy schedules and often difficulty finding childcare during their work hours.

You definitely have a lot to think about. I'd personally recommend trying to find some nurses who would be willing to sit down and tell you what it's like. Try to talk to one from a few different hospitals (assuming that you live in a city with more than one).

Don't make a hasty decision based on things you've heard. That goes for what I've said, as well.

Just a little bit, but it's not a big deal. I'd consider going to nursing school if that were an available option for me at this point in my life. I'd probably lean more towards the police academy or fire academy, though.

As for UPS...I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing here. Drivers seem to have a love-hate relationship with their job. UPS management cracks the whip like no other company I've seen before.
I feel you on the management, but our new management they are trying to run our hub like its 1995 still. Everything is ordered online flow is going to be heavier. The management can crack the whip but can't do it themselves. And the drivers love hate is just like where I'm at. Preload, 4am-8:45-8:55am. Killer benefits. Fixing to start cover driving. I get blown out everyday, our building and belts our still from the 1980's I love working for UPS but it's the most stressful hardest job I have ever had. My buddy started cover driving peak season and still cover driving, he sayin driving is Soo laid back. And he is making bank roll after bank roll.

L

Little Brownie Girl

Sincere condolences extended in your loss and heartfelt prayers to the children and families.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I think the not wanting to get up at 7am for any job might cause you some problems before you even think about a ups career. A lot of jobs start at or before 7 am.

Lucidd

All these people saying no to making ups a career suck it. Yeah if you can't make it in preload beachside you think it's too hard your a pusillanimous. Part time has the best health insurance out there, better than any job you'll ever get or trade. 10 dollar co pay. Can't beat the dental 100% paid for. Cover drive after two years or less at some locations. Making $30.70/hr anything over 8 hours in a day is time in a half. So that extra hour or two you work you're making 46.00/hr. Go find that at any other job. Anybody that is telling you not to to make UPS your career especially Soo young. Go for it, you never know by the time you are 21-22 years old with no education or student loans you could be making 80-100k per year. With killer health insurance. paid holidays, double time and a half if you work on holiday. Starting pay as part time 11.50 or some shot like that, guaranteed raise every year. 4 option weeks paid, 4 weeks vacation time paid, 40 option hours paid. 5 option days paid. Most major holidays we get off and still get paid for it. Protected by union so almost impossible to lose your job unless you're just sorry, lazy or a thief. But take UPS as a career I wish I started at age 18. I waited till I was 26 before I decided to, went to trade school, has student loans. UPS is free and the hard work is worth it. Once you start driving yeah it's hard some days, but not everyday. And at the end of the day you just made $300+, not counting the tremendous benefits we got. TAKE THE JOB AT UPS. Some of the management at some locations still try to run it like it's still in the 90's but just work hard and never let em see you sweat!!!
I AM A UPSER
IN LOVING MEMEORY OF BRIAN AND DOUG HUTCHINSON THE VICTIMS OF THE ROEBUCK, AL Location, those two managers were the best. We will all love and miss you both!!

So many benefits to UPS that most don't even experience with a degree! My mom wants me to go to college for something that'll "take my brain". i want to go for the opposite and get paid bank for it. Hard work is hard work. Anyway's when i'm 18 i'll be able to do what ever lol

Lucidd

My opinio
I think the not wanting to get up at 7am for any job might cause you some problems before you even think about a ups career. A lot of jobs start at or before 7 am.
My opinions changed on that. I wouldn't mind waking up early. Hell, my dad wakes up at 3am lots of times.

Lucidd

Every day i find myself drawn to UPS more and more. Every job will have its fun moments and bad moments, so why in the world would i get a degree for that? What every job has in common is the fact that they pay, and have good and bad moments. That's LITERALLY all a job is. I'm not going to go to college and end up in student debt for that when i can do it for free. I feel bad for all the people who don't realize that. Brain washed by society, believing you HAVE to go to college after high school in order to succeed. I'm done with school after these two years are up. Maybe, MAYBE. I'll try a trade school depending on if i'm interested. But the chances are slim. I believe college is just a way for the government to make more money off of people. I'll get the same exact "college experience" if i got a job at UPS and started hanging out with chicks and making friends on the college campus. I can do everything college has to offer, all for free. In a way, i think i'm cheating the system LOL.

L

Little Brownie Girl

don't think "hanging out with chicks" will increase your..... intellect ...

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I hope I am wrong. I really do. The numbers tell a different story.
You are. The teamsters will walk before they let ups with record breaking profits implement that.

To the OP
You're 16? While I applaud your enthusiasm for your future, don't rush growing up. You don't get that time back. Go be 16 and enjoy the lessons you learn at that timeframe. Make good decisions but be free for awhile.

There is plenty of time to be an adult later

Lucidd

You are. The teamsters will walk before they let ups with record breaking profits implement that.

To the OP
You're 16? While I applaud your enthusiasm for your future, don't rush growing up. You don't get that time back. Go be 16 and enjoy the lessons you learn at that timeframe. Make good decisions but be free for awhile.

There is plenty of time to be an adult later
Your right, thanks.