Making UPS a career?

JL 0513

Man i hope i'll be making $30 an hour to deliver packages in the future, i hear they'll be paying less?

P.S do you guy's ever deliver to your neighborhood lol?

You'll have to go back in time about 5-7 years to make $30/hr. It will pass $40/hr by the end of the next contract (about 6-7 years from now) perhaps when you're on your way to top rate.

Lucidd

You'll have to go back in time about 5-7 years to make $30/hr. It will past $40/hr by the end of the next contract (about 6-7 years from now) perhaps when you're on your way to top rate.
Yeah buddy $40/hour to deliver packages? Who needs to be a doctor when you've got UPS!

JL 0513

You won't see $40/hr. There will be a two tiered wage for drivers in 2018.

Isn't this just speculative? If they do this, who falls under what tier? All drivers already at top rate are top tier, then all drivers reaching top rate during next contract are lower tier? Then how many years until you get into top tier?

Isn't this just speculative? If they do this, who falls under what tier? All drivers already at top rate are top tier, then all drivers reaching top rate during next contract are lower tier? Then how many years until you get into top tier?
The newer drivers will never see top tier. Just like PT and the top rate for bottom tier will stay the same for the next 20 years.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Maybe @scratch remembers starting/seniority pay back then?

I got hired as a loader at $4.25 an hour in October '75, minimum wage was $2.10 an hour back then. It seemed like I made top rate in just a few months. I remember getting $1.00 an hour raises which was good money back then. I think it was in 1982 that part-timers got screwed on the National Contract and starting pay was stuck at $8.00 an hour for decades. This is what happens when people don't vote. UPS gives the Teamsters so much money for raises at contract time, they don't care how the union divides it up.

Lucidd

Any idea what i should go to college for? Gonna go to college for something simple while i'm doing PT at UPS, just to have a degree. May even just go to trade school and learn a trade or something instead of college.

I got hired as a loader at $4.25 an hour in October '75, minimum wage was $2.10 an hour back then. It seemed like I made top rate in just a few months. I remember getting $1.00 an hour raises which was good money back then. I think it was in 1982 that part-timers got screwed on the National Contract and starting pay was stuck at $8.00 an hour for decades. This is what happens when people don't vote. UPS gives the Teamsters so much money for raises at contract time, they don't care how the union divides it up.
I started in 1977 and that is the way I remember the PT wages. It was good money but you could go to any Union job and make the same or better money.