Making UPS a career?

If I lived on the westcoast this job would be nothing. To the people who live in nice sunny states. friend YOU!!!

we have to do what you do in blizzards and -0 weather. its the worst. Winters I wake up so gosh darn miserable while putting my under armor on. Summers, I wake up..the sun is out and im almost "excited"? to go slang some boxes.

Maybe that would get old if you live in that all the time..
It pays the bills

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
If I lived on the westcoast this job would be nothing. To the people who live in nice sunny states. friend YOU!!!

we have to do what you do in blizzards and -0 weather. its the worst. Winters I wake up so gosh darn miserable while putting my under armor on. Summers, I wake up..the sun is out and im almost "excited"? to go slang some boxes.

friend you too

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
There's drivers in my center that max out the full 63.35 paid hours every week. If they don't max out mon-fri they'll come in and drive Saturday. I live in the Bay Area, so that's what a lot of people need to do in order to afford market-rate housing and still have enough money to have a life.

50 - 55 hours is my wheelhouse. Nobody works under 50 in my center, and if they do they'll just get more work added to their route.

So it's the Bay Area getting all the hours from what it looks like. I'm also in the Bay Area (hence the handle) and what you described sounds just like my center. I am routinely asked to help folks on Thursday and Friday who are running short on hours for the week. And there's the lower seniority guys who routinely have to finish routes that the 9.5ers don't finish. Despite all that, I still think I have it easier than most out here. The only element I have to deal with is rain and that's nothing. We don't have any crazy traffic, any super busy city, and my area is as flat as a pancake. Its a trip to see how different this job is from region to region. I always wondered how much more stressful or hard this job is for people who live in, say, Wisconsin who have to deal with snow and freezing temps all day. Or folks in Manhattan, NY who have to deal with the crappiest traffic, crowds of pedestrians, and worst parking conditions ever. This forum gives me a peek into that and it makes me even more thankful for my situation. Even with these expensive ass prices out here lol.

Gear

Parts on Order
No one told me the hours were long until I had started. I remember being a young fresh driver and asking the guy I was dispatched to help if working this late was normal. He confirmed it for me.

But you're right. I hate this job, I hate this company, and I hate a lot of the brain washed fools that slave away their lives here for the sake of money. When I leave Ups i will start a thread...I'll keep you abreast to the opportunities out there that are better than what you have here.

Water company, electric company, gas company, and any job with "Authority". Examples- Water or sewage authority. Most pay in 30s an hour, good benefits and pensions. The light company has been hiring mechs around me starting at $32 an hour. These companies are 1 union so you can bid from job to job within the company. My goal is to get in an Authority in the next 5 years.

Holydriver

Your posts also seem very down on women. If you're an unhappy person then a change may not help and less money really won't help.

People aren't brainwashed. Most of us have responsibilities that require us to put our wants behind our needs.

Good luck though.
Down on women? Really? Please give me examples so I can help you understand. I'm certainly not a feminist, but I'm also not anti woman.

Holydriver

I consider an hour unpaid lunch part of my day. I do 55 paid hour weeks on the regular. You're right it's not average. Neither is 9.5 average, so we're both exaggerating a bit. 10 hours paid day?

Pay: the dude is 16. If he were to start PT, and have an average tragectory with a similar couple contracts, he'll be making maybe 40/hr when he makes top rate (10 yrs from now? ) what's min wage gonna be then? Betcha its over 15. So yeah the numbers will be bigger but the lifestyle it buys will be smaller. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not miserable here. I enjoy the work most of the time. But it's a fallback position, having messed everything else up. It does not reward excellence, it doesn't reward education, there's no promotion opportunities (unless feeders is a promotion? ) all of which make a career. It's a job. A good job, no doubt, but a job.

That's what I'll tell my kids when they ask, and that's what I tell other kids when they ask.
These are the kind of points intry and make, but when I say itnit comes out negative as if I'm going to go postal. It's not the case at all. I'm happy most days, but I've never seen so many people bitch about their work as I have the 20 minutes prior to PCM. Everyone is miserable, then they jump on BC and act like they live the dream.

This company treats their employees horrible, especially when you consider they profit billions. If you have the chance to find a better career, do it. If you're a career UPSer and andnyoung kid asks if this is a good career, don't blow smiles and sunshine up his ass, tell him the truth. They'll work you ass off of you, try their best to not pay you if possible, nickel and dime customers, try their best to fire you before you're fully vested, and so on. The pay is good. The hours fly by. But let's all be honest here, if you were offered the same pay potential with fewer hours when you were 18 at another job you would have chosen that.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Except "sunny " states have crazy heat and humidity. You're drenched before you leave the building and heat index is 120 plus every day for 9 months straight.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side so to that we all say friend you too kiddo

Ah yes, I made this all up, you caught me.

60 service hours, 63.35 PAID hours. We get two paid 15 min breaks per day, an extra 10 min for working over 10 hours.

.67 (40 mins) x 5 = 3.35, plus the 60 service hours is 63.35

Still don't believe me? Ask some feeder drivers, they know all about it.

I'm always told that you can only take your lunch out of the hours. Paid brakes are included in DOT hours.

baklava

I'm always told that you can only take your lunch out of the hours. Paid brakes are included in DOT hours.

Not true. 60 hours used to be a hard cap where I'm at too, but this last peak season upper management decided to exploit the paid breaks loophole. They definitely opened up a can of worms by doing that.

JL 0513

Did you fail to read what I was replying to? Some people (all liberals for example) are unaware of how the market works. Not saying he doesn't but I was just pointing it out. Think about it, millions of people believe that the most expensive service (healthcare) should be a free right. So we see people complaining about property values when all these properties sell. So what's the problem?

baklava

Did you fail to read what I was replying to? Some people (all liberals for example) are unaware of how the market works. Not saying he doesn't but I was just pointing it out. Think about it, millions of people believe that the most expensive service (healthcare) should be a free right. So we see people complaining about property values when all these properties sell. So what's the problem?

Wow. Give it a rest.