man, i quit as driver helper

UPSRook

Is Driver helper tougher than the inside jobs? I always figured the inside was more physical but helpers seem to complain a lot more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is Driver helper tougher than the inside jobs? I always figured the inside was more physical but helpers seem to complain a lot more.

Both jobs have their pros and cons. The inside job is clearly more physical but is more monotonous and repetitive. The helper job is more interesting but is about as challenging as some of the puzzles in the Highlights magazine.

Helpers complain because some of the drivers tend to take advantage of them.

J

jibbs

Both jobs have their pros and cons. The inside job is clearly more physical but is more monotonous and repetitive. The helper job is more interesting but is about as challenging as some of the puzzles in the Highlights magazine.

I dunno, Upstate, when I was young those search word puzzles always messed me up after 30 minutes of connecting the dots, finding the hidden objects and reading about Goofus and Gallant.

Macbrother

This is a resounding no. There are a handful of cake jobs on the inside but for the vast majority (loaders, especially) the job is far more physical and demanding. Depending on where you are and what you're doing you may have to load between 800 and 2000 (or more) packages, many of them over 70 lbs. You have to do all this within a set time period (usually less than 4 hours) and you have to do so at a very rapid pace. You are almost constantly moving with almost no downtime.

Driver helper by comparison is absolute cake, was some of the easiest money I ever made. It's tougher if your route is more urban / business oriented since you're dealing with more boxes and you're in and out of the truck more but especially if you're winding down doing residentials it's a breeze. Some drivers make it even easier if they prefer to get out if the stop's on their side and let you get out if the stop's on your side.

BrownNinjaz

You're complaining? I load the heaviest one in the hub and I don't complain. In fact, I love it. The time goes by fast... I avg 800+ in loading an hour at the end of the day everyday. This job is meant for me because I am a man!

Justaname

You're complaining? I load the heaviest one in the hub and I don't complain. In fact, I love it. The time goes by fast... I avg 800+ in loading an hour at the end of the day everyday. This job is meant for me because I am a man!
If that's you in your picture you look like you're 12

Macbrother

I was pointing out package handling is vastly more demanding / difficult than driver helping. Nothing else. Congrats on your "manhood," we're all very impressed with your pph.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave and his helper hold hands and skip as they deliver stops together.

Actually, no.....when doing residentials I park so that both the helper and I can deliver stops at the same time. I call it "splitting the difference" and it works quite well in the average suburban area. We also deliver adjacent commercial stops at the same time, including multiple story medical office buildings.

If you prefer to treat your helper as a go-fer, hand the package and point to the house, that is up to you. I prefer to treat my helper as an adult, train him in the basics of the job and treat him as a reliable co-worker. I must be doing something right as we have yet to have a DFU and have only had 2 concerns, one of which was valid and was my fault (misdelivery which I redelivered and apologized to the consignee on my way home from work---I mistook 4957 for 4955) while the other was a signature denial which I had indirected to the neighbor.

UPSGUY72

Actually, no.....when doing residentials I park so that both the helper and I can deliver stops at the same time. I call it "splitting the difference" and it works quite well in the average suburban area. We also deliver adjacent commercial stops at the same time, including multiple story medical office buildings.

If you prefer to treat your helper as a go-fer, hand the package and point to the house, that is up to you. I prefer to treat my helper as an adult, train him in the basics of the job and treat him as a reliable co-worker. I must be doing something right as we have yet to have a DFU and have only had 2 concerns, one of which was valid and was my fault (misdelivery which I redelivered and apologized to the consignee on my way home from work---I mistook 4957 for 4955) while the other was a signature denial which I had indirected to the neighbor.

My delivery route in peak is rural when two house are close I get out deliver one why the helper delivers another that doesn't happen much. MY route is in mostly in the mountains with house with long driveways and some your can't turn a old 800 around in. On a normal day the route is delivered in a 500. I will back up as far as I safely can to shorting my helpers walk. But he is walking I'm not. I drove 115 miles on Friday and deliver 245 stops and over 375 pieces all in 11 hours and 10 minutes and only got out of the car a couple dozen times.

Last edited:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
He chose to quit out of sheer laziness. I will not commend him for that. Quit because u want more family time or something along those lines or just because u don't like it is one thing. Quit two hours into the job because u had a few heavy loads and your lazy no sympathy here.
Exactly, Kick his butt outta here. ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFF.

If I was the driver you let down, you'd be off the clock and stuck in that jump seat the rest of the day b4 I dropped your butt off!!!!!

UPSRook

Exactly, Kick his butt outta here. ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFF.

If I was the driver you let down, you'd be off the clock and stuck in that jump seat the rest of the day b4 I dropped your butt off!!!!!
Yeah I dont get the people that just walk out halfway through, or take a bathroom break and never return. At least finish your shift for the day and think it over when you're in a better state of mind.