Management (ERO) Early Retirement Offer

Sears holding corp. owns K-Mart. Therefore K-Mart is now Sears. K-Mart management does not exist.
I have no idea of the inner workings of whom owns who and don't really care....All I know is that big ole sign out in front of the building says K_MART in really big lit up letters, their receipts say K-Mart on them and when my card gets posted it reads K-Mart.....they are damn sure visible for a company that doesn't exist. Oh and I forgot to mention before my edit, the guy walking around the store with a name tag that reads Store MANAGER also has the name K-MART at the top. Maybe his name is Kevin....................Mart.

tieguy

Banned
I truly never considered the vacation savings, but you are absolutely correct! Huge money saved there.

Additionally, my numbers were gathered based on center business managers and staff. I did not truly look at supervisors and drivers. From the standpoint of drivers and supervisors, especially drivers, everytime one goes down unvested it is the ULTIMATE BONUS for UPS and the union gave up the pension in many places of the country!?

The benefits of PAS is dumbing skill levels down- In the future UPS will go through drivers like they go through preloaders and part timers. The union will bargain for the best pay that can be acheived for hourly after 5 years $25 hour (whatever) and vacation and healthcare. UPS will follow up with an attrition process whereby many, many people will be gone before they are vested or maybe even before they hit full pay. WHAT THE HECK DO YOU PEOPLE THINK PAS PROVIDES AND DOES?

Think it impossible? Watch.

I would agree it dumbs down the preload job. But how does it dumb down the drivers job? The driver still has to be able to find the addresses listed on the box. As far as I know PAS can not drive the car nor deliver the package?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is my understanding that PAS was a by-product of the strike in 97 in that UPS would have a system in place where replacement drivers could be hired, given a quick DIAD lesson and sent out there to try to keep the business going or at least the impression that it was business as usual. This is not too far-fetched--if the DOL is set up properly, it should be possible for any driver to cover any run in any building using PAS/EDD.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is my understanding that PAS was a by-product of the strike in 97 in that UPS would have a system in place where replacement drivers could be hired, given a quick DIAD lesson and sent out there to try to keep the business going or at least the impression that it was business as usual. This is not too far-fetched--if the DOL is set up properly, it should be possible for any driver to cover any run in any building using PAS/EDD.

That may have been a factor to accelerate it's development and implementation but I remember being in work sessions in 1993-1994 discussing how to link Controlled Dispatch and the DIAD and a precursor of the PAS system was in place in the Charlotte Preload.

I would agree it dumbs down the preload job. But how does it dumb down the drivers job? The driver still has to be able to find the addresses listed on the box. As far as I know PAS can not drive the car nor deliver the package?

Having all stops in a prerecorded list...Then pulling up to a house with the customer at your car. You have no package...That makes you look real dumb.

Myron

If LD is correct and new addresses and stops are put into the Loop Detail as they are found in the proper sequence range; the set-up of a vehicle should become easier and easier for a driver having little area knowledge.

PAS has the ability to assist in educating new drivers on proper deliver order IF THE LD IS correct and EDD is right. If Loop Detail is not kept up or is bad, then PAS will make the load much worse then before. ...BUT THIS IS NOT THE DESIGN OF PAS; and if you ask the DPS supervisors based on how much pressure they are under; they know this is the case. As LD gets better the driver job gets easier from a route knowledge standpoint.

Obviously there is some skill involved in driving but shortly, the part time drivers that will be delivering ground as a byproduct of the new contract will allow you to see this first hand. That is, how much of a factor PAS, EDD and LD are on simplifying the driver's job; enabling inexperienced, less knowledgeable people to work effectively at lower cost.

HOAKSTER is likely right on the money with precursor timeframe. I remember discussing the use of PAS alongside dense code applications for autosort; long before 1997. The strike only served to intensify PAS roll out; and the last contract became a standing corporate implentation deadline.

Myron

Having all stops in a prerecorded list...Then pulling up to a house with the customer at your car. You have no package...That makes you look real dumb.
LOL. Yes, but remember that used to happen when there was no PAS-albeit not to the same frequency!

Yes you do feel and look stupid; but you can look stupid and still get paid....I HAVE SEEN IT OCCUR.

Myron

If their is such a high turnover rate in management. What is the average career length for management?

Question of the day.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
HOAKSTER is likely right on the money with precursor timeframe. I remember discussing the use of PAS alongside dense code applications for autosort; long before 1997. The strike only served to intensify PAS roll out; and the last contract became a standing corporate implentation deadline.

I honestly don't see the 97 strike having anything to do with the implementation of PAS. I don't see us implementing a system to deal with what amounts to one national strike in one hundred years. I do see the intent to eliminate time spent in the car and time spent recording package information with the intent of having our drivers spend more time delivering more packages. The intent will be to find ways to squeeze more blood out of the same rock.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

I honestly don't see the 97 strike having anything to do with the implementation of PAS. I don't see us implementing a system to deal with what amounts to one national strike in one hundred years. I do see the intent to eliminate time spent in the car and time spent recording package information with the intent of having our drivers spend more time delivering more packages. The intent will be to find ways to squeeze more blood out of the same rock.

What color would that blood be?

Myron

I honestly don't see the 97 strike having anything to do with the implementation of PAS--

Perhaps not, but it is certainly hard to explain away the enormous implementation push in the last 6 years leading up to August 2008 given the unbelievable number of PAS system deficiencies-both technical and physical as well as cost.

Autosort has been around for over 20 years given it's experimentation in Lawnside, and it is just in the last 8 years becoming mainstream. A lot of time to work out the kinks.

pretzel_man

I honestly don't see the 97 strike having anything to do with the implementation of PAS--

Perhaps not, but it is certainly hard to explain away the enormous implementation push in the last 6 years leading up to August 2008 given the unbelievable number of PAS system deficiencies-both technical and physical as well as cost.

Autosort has been around for over 20 years given it's experimentation in Lawnside, and it is just in the last 8 years becoming mainstream. A lot of time to work out the kinks.

not entirely accurate....

PAS started BEFORE the 97 strike... I remember attending meetings on it before that "event".

The push for the PAS implementation was what they said. It enabled services and reduced cost. Before you start typing....

When PAS was deployed to us, they predicted some ungodly amount of savings. I even remember Eskew announcing that in the press.

When the dust settled, the system saved about 1/3 of what Mike said. However, the savings have been substantial. Overall, the company has reduced 30 million miles each year....

Many sites are doing poorly. Many are doing great. Overall cost is down and service is up at PAS sites.

Now, Autosort. Its in its third generation (at least). Looks like it was decided to be the main sort system for UPS. Great decision in my mind. CACH seems happy with it and that's a good thing.

There are a lot of urban myths about PAS. When you dig into the details its easy to see through those myths.

BTW, the difference between good and poor sites is the management...

P-Man

Getting back to the ERO theme one of our center manager's mentioned this week (1-5-09) that he heard that an ERO is being proposed to reduce Mgmt personnel...anyone else hearing anything similiar in your District?

BTW, the difference between good and poor sites is the management...
I'm guessing you mean the center team that has to deal with a system that is data delicate? I agree that IF the local management team would comb through the LD for each and every route, making sure everything is lined up perfectly, the system would probably be great. One just needs to keep in mind that the center teams (here at least) are already over their heads in duties to preform everyday. Just when are they supposed to try and crack the LD mystery that haunts a system that depends on perfect data. No, I don't think blaming the center teams is appropriate. The blame should placed higher because that is where the decissions are made on how many and who are in the center to put out the fires. In a way, the odds our supervisor teams face are much like what the men of the Alamo face with Santa Anna. That is a design to fail.

negrosangre

"Getting back to the ERO theme one of our center manager's mentioned this week (1-5-09) that he heard that an ERO is being proposed to reduce Mgmt personnel...anyone else hearing anything similiar in your District? "

We were told there is a "big" managers meeting in Atlanta this week or next.

pretzel_man

I'm guessing you mean the center team that has to deal with a system that is data delicate? I agree that IF the local management team would comb through the LD for each and every route, making sure everything is lined up perfectly, the system would probably be great. One just needs to keep in mind that the center teams (here at least) are already over their heads in duties to preform everyday. Just when are they supposed to try and crack the LD mystery that haunts a system that depends on perfect data. No, I don't think blaming the center teams is appropriate. The blame should placed higher because that is where the decissions are made on how many and who are in the center to put out the fires. In a way, the odds our supervisor teams face are much like what the men of the Alamo face with Santa Anna. That is a design to fail.

Trpl:

First, its not difficult to fix. I've done it many times for centers in my area.

Second, its the local management job to set up the exact same information whether using DPS or using manual spreadsheets (like I did when I ran a center).

Third, the system gives tools that I would have died for....
- They can see trace and routes on a map.
- They can ask the system to create a trace as a starting point.
- They can work off-line to make edits and see the imapct
- They can see their PLD before the packages show up

perfect data is NOT required, just the same level of accuracy that we needed in the past.

My point is that this is pointing out the more capable vs. less capable management. A poor manager will go on road an deliver misloads instead of fixing the problem to begin with.

The right answer is to use the system as it was intended. It works and works very well. I've seen it and used it.

P-Man

Myron

ERO? Hearing term more often now that consolidation is complete. I frankly don't believe it. Consolidation will bring mandatory ERO-isn't it about cost savings? Not sure what our savings are if we let go of too much.

PAS-the best operations are either 1) resource laiden centers or 2) centers with few area trace matters. More capable vs. less capable management is always a factor as well...lt all starts with the preload!

I have seen "poor" managers go on the road to deliver misloads because of lack of preload manager accountability much more often then from PAS system problems or LD.

I love PAS. But I don't believe anyone fully knew what was the best strategy for implementation. On the other hand, MAYBE THEY DID and didn't share?

The multiple center buidlings seemed to suffer more often as they re-looped to be dispatched as one entity in the future. Any center that re-looped was in for it.

My My My

"Getting back to the ERO theme one of our center manager's mentioned this week (1-5-09) that he heard that an ERO is being proposed to reduce Mgmt personnel...anyone else hearing anything similiar in your District? "

We were told there is a "big" managers meeting in Atlanta this week or next.

The region managers were all at Corporate yesterday. So as far as a manager meeting in Atlanta it is confirmed!

pretzel_man

The region managers were all at Corporate yesterday. So as far as a manager meeting in Atlanta it is confirmed!

I heard that Davis and Abney met with all the district managers in Corporate today. They were discussing the financial situation and what UPS needs to do.

I guess we will hear soon.

P-Man