Management falsification

overflowed

This has gotten way out of hand. When management does these things that make no sense at all it is obvious the disfunction comes from above. To make a manager care more about some code, the customer neither cares about or understands, instead of actually delivering the package is beyond me. Many of the nitpicky things recently seem like we're just shooting ourselves in the foot. Bad add reattempts, etc. Makes no sense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This has gotten way out of hand. When management does these things that make no sense at all it is obvious the disfunction comes from above. To make a manager care more about some code, the customer neither cares about or understands, instead of actually delivering the package is beyond me. Many of the nitpicky things recently seem like we're just shooting ourselves in the foot. Bad add reattempts, etc. Makes no sense.

Yep. More management step-downs announced today. My guess is that more than a few of them are killing a bottle of Jack Daniels every night just to stay sane. Our upper management "team" issues dictates that have no basis in reality...that is scary.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Remember when we used to be in the business of delivering packages? Now we're in the business of covering our asses.

Exactly. In the mutual admiration society that is FedEx, nobody dares speak up against the idiocy coming from MEM. You cannot question the infallible gods there, because to do so means an instant end to your career. They don't want solutions to the dysfunction...they want reports that will justify what is happening. Pass the blame downhill until it can get no lower, and then make more excuses.

The level of dysfunction now is so extreme that their Sacred Cow, the stock price, will soon be threatened. Managers and couriers alike are jumping-ship, and the retards left running the circus can't even shovel the elephant :censored2: correctly. It's sad, but funny at the same time.

Right now, MT3, Fred, and Dave are making the holiday party circuit...while Rome burns down around them.

!Retired!

If you didn't knock on his door, you didn't attempt it and you don't know if he is there or not. A DEX 8 will draw a customer complaint. The proper code if you can't get to the door because of weather is DEX 84.
Then they have changed it.....again. But, I was talking about 10 years ago when I was in the boonies.
So does a business dex 8.
Not if you reattempt it. Problem is, with DRA, you may not be anywhere near that stop a second time.

hypo hanna

Then they have changed it.....again. But, I was talking about 10 years ago when I was in the boonies.

Not if you reattempt it. Problem is, with DRA, you may not be anywhere near that stop a second time.

One of the more dysfunctional aspects of DRA.

I heard about another yesterday. Apparently the dispatchers were givin a program to run alongside DRA where they will know where the drivers are delivering and can then know where to send any pickup stops. Sounds great on paper but fails in the real world. First, if its a large station, the data is too massive for the memory of their computers and they have a hard time getting it to load in the morning. Secondly it only tells them that the driver has a delivery for a particular address, not if he has delivered it. Some of these DRA routes are really spread out and backtracking for pickups is as bad as reattempts.
I was told it wouldn't load at all yesterday because there was so many pkgs in the system. This ment your dispatchers could only guess on where to send the pu stops.

El Morado Diablo

I thought all pups were "sectored". You work in a certain sector, you get all the pups there.

Our dispatchers are terrible when it comes to sectoring pups. It seems like they send me the pups for anything that isn't sectored properly. I finally got tired of telling them the correct route over and over and over. Now I just tell them it isn't mine and let them figure out who it's supposed to go to. Seems like the only way to get them to take the time to sector them at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our dispatchers are terrible when it comes to sectoring pups. It seems like they send me the pups for anything that isn't sectored properly. I finally got tired of telling them the correct route over and over and over. Now I just tell them it isn't mine and let them figure out who it's supposed to go to. Seems like the only way to get them to take the time to sector them at all.

DRA has made the Dispatcher job a nightmare. Add-in our defective management, and the net result is that Dispatchers make most of the real decisions.

hypo hanna

There are lots of reasons why you get stops not sectored to you. Only a few of them are the fault of the dispatcher. I would say 90% of misrouted pickups are due to...

Manager changes route boundaries and doesn't tell dispatch what the new ones are.

3rd party CIB stops where they use the base file of the account in another city or state that has their sector imbedded. Because of the automatic nature of the dispatch system, it goes out to you without her ever seeing it. Even when you bring it to her attention, she isn't authorized to change the file.

What you described where a dispatcher uses an experienced driver as a default router is uncommon. At least it was in the office I worked at. It usually happens with a fill in dispatcher and when mgmt has sectors so messed up he has t a clue where to send it. It isn't right but I admit it does happen.
These guys are getting the same abuse and the same lack of support we are getting on road.

hypo hanna

I thought all pups were "sectored". You work in a certain sector, you get all the pups there.
That's the way its supposed to work but In areas using DRA it can't. DRA has new routes created every day and routes going into new areas every day. Now if it was a pure pickup route, the system should get it right most of the time.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
That's the way its supposed to work but In areas using DRA it can't. DRA has new routes created every day and routes going into new areas every day. Now if it was a pure pickup route, the system should get it right most of the time.

I've never run DRA.
Only, like, 2 CRRs in our sta. use it.

!Retired!

DRA has made the Dispatcher job a nightmare. Add-in our defective management, and the net result is that Dispatchers make most of the real decisions.
I received a PUP in the last part of my area (following DRA). I notified dispatch I wouldn't be there by the close time (it was a school). They said nobody else can get it. I knew there were 2 couriers on that border, but never said that. I asked them if they would like me to break off deliveries to get it, but I would RTB 30 minutes later. They 'found' someone else to get it.
Management at my station has turned off DRA through Peak. The number of stops overloaded it, and caused it to crash. Lol.
It's not the amount of stops that crashes the system, it's the amount of new routes that crashes it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Bumping this old thread. So on Friday, because we had a lot of flooding in the area, we were once again instructed to use the Code 8 (closed/not in). As opposed to the correct code 84 (delay beyond our control).

Are any of you at other stations being forced to do this?

MAKAVELI

Bumping this old thread. So on Friday, because we had a lot of flooding in the area, we were once again instructed to use the Code 8 (closed/not in). As opposed to the correct code 84 (delay beyond our control).

Maybe someone at your station should bring this to everyones attention during the morning meeting.

dezguy

We were recently told to use a DEX 17 on any business that is closed, regardless of whether they have a sign up saying when they'll be open next. Management trying to cut down on RDL's would be my guess.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We were recently told to use a DEX 17 on any business that is closed, regardless of whether they have a sign up saying when they'll be open next. Management trying to cut down on RDL's would be my guess.

Management routinely falsifies reports to Memphis. A manager who claims they aren't, is probably lying. When I used to be gung-ho, I ran Saturday ops and was basically a de facto manager during the week. The first thing my manager told me was "you'll have to learn how to run the reports". Well, running the reports meant you'd need to be willing to doctor them so everything looked 100%, even when it wasn't. I refused, and told them they needed to run their own reports.

Any time you're in a meeting, you can be assured that they will produce whatever numbers are necessary to support their agenda. Time card doctoring, and cooking the books are routine.

!Retired!

By strict FedEx policy, using a DEX 8 because a road is flooded or washed out is falsification. If there is absolutely NO OTHER WAY to that stop, no matter how long it takes to get there, I would use the delay code.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You are not a team player and have a bad attitude. First, questioning the veracity of management? OLCC for you. Second, why didn't you rent (at your expense) a boat or raft? Or, better yet, brought one from home? You could have borrowed a neighbor's boat or trailered your own and paid for all the fuel. And, if you drowned or had an accident with the boat/raft, FedEx would toss you under the bus and say you acted irresponsibly. But, if all went well and you delivered the Purple Promise, and make the local media...you would be a hero, and on IamFedEx.com, and would probably receive a FedEx logo lunch bag for your efforts.

If you were really a team player, you'd swim and deliver those precious packages. There is no such thing as a Code 84 or a Code 43!!!