Management Memo Shows Bosses Amok...

pretzel_man

Doesn't seem that bad to me either. Perhaps the following could have been said a little....differently:

"Each center manager needs to pick one driver we know is scamming us and get him on videotape and go the distance, others will fall in line"

OOPS... I missed that line. Its bad. Really bad.

rod

Retired 22 years
"Each center manager needs to pick one driver we know is scamming us and get him on videotape and go the distance, others will fall in line"

"Each centers rank and file need to pick out one member of management we know is scamming us (shouldn't be too hard) and get him on videotape and go the distance, others will fall in line".:peaceful:

upsgrunt

What about the expense account line?
If no Supervisor is to use the Amex card, why have them? (the Amex cards:happy2:)
It is the same as not using "other other" in the diad; if we are not to use it then don't put it in there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If no Supervisor is to use the Amex card, why have them? (the Amex cards:happy2:)
It is the same as not using "other other" in the diad; if we are not to use it then don't put it in there.

Perhaps they keep them in case of an emergency on road but, more than likely, they are simply holding on to them until this recession passes and things get back to normal and we can all go back to our excessive ways.

Raw

Raw Member
Dirty little secret is UPS is making money big time and made more in international than last year. Solid companies are using the reccession to SCAM their employees! DHL is virtually gone, gas prices WAY down, not giving management raises, forcing drivers to be super productive...UPS ain`t hurting!!!! :peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dirty little secret is UPS is making money big time and made more in international than last year. Solid companies are using the reccession to SCAM their employees! DHL is virtually gone, gas prices WAY down, not giving management raises, forcing drivers to be super productive...UPS ain`t hurting!!!! :peaceful:

...and your point would be?

tieguy

Banned

good catch and another reason I question the legitimatcy of the "memo".
Generally the wording should exclude any discretionary / recognition type spending. There will still be management with legitimate business type expenses that will have expense accounts. The goal is misaligned too. If no one is allowed to use the amex then the goal for the cost reduction would be 100% not 50 percent especially with the threat of suspension for use.

I still question why the name of the author was not left on the form. I'm sure they would have left scott davis's name on the form if he had sent it out.

Some of it is legit sounding. I think the original document may have had some or most of this information on it. I think the content was then embellished to suit the needs of TDU. If the authors name was left on the form then he could have rebutted the changes by producing the original document. Keep in mind this form was probably sent as an email and can easily be edited to suit TDU's marketing scheme. Red says a supervisor gave them the form its also possible one of his people was on managements computer reading thier emails since many of us do a poor job of locking our PC's out when we are away.

But a careful review of this form indicates an email that was doctored to suit TDU's marketing scheme.

Last edited:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
... If the authors name was left on the form then he could have rebutted the changes by producing the original document.

Flip side of that coin which also goes along with your point & my belief it is a hoax? If it were real, you would have heard the managers name by now in this forum.

Someone in the Chicago area that knew a center that had a "
Straple, Lisa and Rich" working there would have chimed in by now.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Flip side of that coin which also goes along with your point & my belief it is a hoax? If it were real, you would have heard the managers name by now in this forum.

Someone in the Chicago area that knew a center that had a "Straple, Lisa and Rich" working there would have chimed in by now.
Its the franklin park facility! Believe what you want, but this was introduced as evidence at a termination hearing. It shows that ups will and does single out to conspire to fire people!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Its the franklin park facility! Believe what you want, but this was introduced as evidence at a termination hearing. It shows that ups will and does single out to conspire to fire people!

See, now we are getting somewhere. Who is the manager that wrote it?

705 - please understand - I truly believe management feels the way that the memo expresses. Heck, anyone that works here already knows it. It is just a little too convenient for my tastes that there is no name attached to it - not necessarily on this forum (because we may wish to avoid naming people) but ANYWHERE.

pretzel_man

I believe the memo is real. I think the line about lunch and break and "drivers scamming" was very poor, but not for the reason you may see.

If the memo said that we need to document any drivers that are misusing their lunch and break periods and apply appropriate discipline, I would have been fine with it. Even the point of making an example of them may have sat better with me.

By forcing each center to find a driver I think is wrong. There certainly can be a center without a lunch / break problem. I would have asked each center to look, but not for each to fine one.

While I still believe the vast majority of our drivers do things correctly, there are a % that don't. I've seen it many times with telematics and other reports.

I don't support a supervisor abusing their position and you shouldn't support a driver abusing their's either. (Of course, I do believe that a poor supervisor has a much worse impact on UPS than does a poor driver).

As far as AMEX goes, it makes sense to me. He wants to reduce the division budget overall for expense account spending. Supervisor use of AMEX is only a portion of that.

We need to keep service high (Its at its highest level in our history right now.) We also need to reduce cost agressively.

Don't ignore his last line:

"I know there are going to be a lot of questions/concerns over all these. All I can say is we need to take a hard look at everything we do and ask why? We need to do our part to support the company, so we'll all have jobs in [FONT=&quot]the future. Is it easy...heck, no, but who said life was easy...Many times the hardest thing and the right thing are the same ... Any questions, let me know ... "[/FONT]

He's sending a message that all supervisors have to look at and impact cost. That's our job.

With the exception of a stupid line, I didn't have a problem with this.

P-Man

55andout?

Doesn't seem that bad to me either. Perhaps the following could have been said a little....differently:

I agree with over9five...really nothing wrong with this memo until the scamming part. It needs to be in there but there are other ways to make a point.

If one driver is caught not recording personal time then discipline needs to happen. It will start with a talk with then a verbal warning etc. until it gets corrected. When the other few drivers who do the same thing see what happens you will notice that they will start being more honest when it comes to reporting personal time. This is true for any infraction. Most drivers do it right but the few who dont put a bad light on everyone. Its the same with managment.

As far as watching overtime, whats wrong with that? It states to make sure you get at least 8 hours of work on the car and not let anyone work more then 10.5 hours. I think that is good for the driver and the company.

No overtime for 22.3 employess? Is that really bad? Most of them in my building do housekeeping and other things to keep the operation clean and safe, but are they really going to be taxed that much to finish their jobs in 8 hours? NOPE! Also none of them will really be laid off like they lay off in the outside world, they will bump down into inside inside of something else. It will trical down to where we just wont hire anyone off the street for awhile.

I think the memo might be a little harsh but it was intended for UPS managment. It is blunt and to the point so that we know these changes need to take place now and not a month from now. Its how we are spoken to sometimes. IS it right? No, but nobody made us take the position.

Finally I would like to say that this is unfortunatly a time for some sacrafice. UPS has seen this coming long ago. That is why we have fewer districts, managment gets no raise this year etc. Our technology allows us to do this. If it didnt we would be asking Congress for a loan like GM, Chrysler and all the banks. The difference would be that Congress probably would not bail us out.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree with over9five...really nothing wrong with this memo until the scamming part. It needs to be in there but there are other ways to make a point.

If one driver is caught not recording personal time then discipline needs to happen. It will start with a talk with then a verbal warning etc. until it gets corrected. When the other few drivers who do the same thing see what happens you will notice that they will start being more honest when it comes to reporting personal time. This is true for any infraction. Most drivers do it right but the few who dont put a bad light on everyone. Its the same with managment.

So you agree that ANY management person that tells a driver to document his/her lunch even if they do not take one they should be disciplined?

I can promise you that in my building we have far more drivers documenting their lunches to stay off the list then drivers that do not document any lunch! I sure hope it works both ways! All i have to do is drop an info request for the drivers in question for their time card which will show their lunch time and delivery records which will show they were delivering at lunch. This will cost ups far more in overtime pay!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Finally I would like to say that this is unfortunatly a time for some sacrafice. UPS has seen this coming long ago. That is why we have fewer districts, managment gets no raise this year etc. Our technology allows us to do this. If it didnt we would be asking Congress for a loan like GM, Chrysler and all the banks. The difference would be that Congress probably would not bail us out.
Actually it doesn't! You can not use the new telematics, ods e, etc. When an interview is held using this i will not allow an employee to even speak and incriminate him/her self. You can sit back in your office and watch the system, but in order to discipline you have to put down the coffee cup, get up from the ergonomically correct chair and go out and visually witness these infractions in person.

You cant go from 5.2 billion in profits last year, to now state that we are on the verge of bankruptcy and begging congress for tax payer bail out money!

55andout?

So you agree that ANY management person that tells a driver to document his/her lunch even if they do not take one they should be disciplined?

I can promise you that in my building we have far more drivers documenting their lunches to stay off the list then drivers that do not document any lunch! I sure hope it works both ways! All i have to do is drop an info request for the drivers in question for their time card which will show their lunch time and delivery records which will show they were delivering at lunch. This will cost ups far more in overtime pay!

Red,

I give you a standing invite to come to my center at anytime and ask any of my drivers about personal time. All will tell you that I have asked them about personal time, that I have discouraged them from putting in lunch when they do not take one, and that I tell them that no matter how busy they might be that I want them to at least sit for 5 or 10 minutes, call your wife,"grab a Coke and a smile." Its for their own safety and attitude that I stress this to them.

So to answer your question no I do not agree. The discipline should be with the driver who takes personal time and does not record it. The discipline should also be with the sup who tries to "make" the driver put in a lunch only to stay off of a report. Most of the 80 plus drivers in my center do it correctly, some do not. Its my job to change their behavior. The ones that dont hurt their fellow driver and the company who gave them their job to begin with.

But yes come on down and ask, I am on vacation this week. Let me know how it goes when I get back. You would love the routine I go through when a driver tells me he doesnt want to take a lunch. I'ts a roll play and it usually makes them laugh.

Last edited:

pretzel_man

Absolutely!!

If a supervisor instructed a driver to falsify records, he should be disciplined.

If another supervisor knows about it, he is now involved and should be disciplined.

There is a compliance questionaire that management people must take. Records accuracy is a portion of that.

P-Man

705red

Browncafe Steward
I take it from your response that you would like me to video tape management being dishonest themselves!

No problem there! Once i turn on the camcorder in the building it shouldnt take more then a few minutes of tape!!