Management weaponizing hour lunch

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Is peak the only time of year you do this? If it is and the rest of the year you take your full lunch, I'm wondering why you would give up your lunch at peak.
Peak is the only time of year that I do this. And I do it because it can be the difference between punching out at 10:15 and 10:45 at night.

Bottom line is, I am not working off of the clock and I am not falsifying my timecard by entering a lunch that I didnt take.

By The Book

Peak is the only time of year that I do this. And I do it because it can be the difference between punching out at 10:15 and 10:45 at night.

Bottom line is, I am not working off of the clock and I am not falsifying my timecard by entering a lunch that I didnt take.
I was wondering for myself if there happened to be a loooong day and I still wanted to get paid for all of my unused portion of lunch.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was wondering for myself if there happened to be a loooong day and I still wanted to get paid for all of my unused portion of lunch.
Enter whatever amount of lunch you actually take into the DIAD. The contract clearly states that we are to be paid for all hours worked. Your supervisor might not like it and you will probably be instructed to take your lunch in the future, but they still have to pay you.

By The Book

A cover driver typically does 20-30% more work. At least in the 4 buildings I've worked in. Saves a double trip, keeps you out of the dark. Smooth ride home.
So in your opinion cover drivers should skip lunch and breaks so they can do more work? If in the 4 buildings you are in the bid drivers do 20-30% less work then. I guess the cover drivers are somewhat affected by not being able to get on the 9.5 list due to their low seniority, agree? I would make sure I took my breaks within the first 4 and last 4 hours, and also take the full lunch then. Maybe they can put another route on if enough of you cover guys stood together.

Back first

Why are you skipping lunch during peak. if you want to keep giving your hard earned money to UPS, go right ahead. I take my hour every day even during peak. Some drivers it takes a little while and some just don't get it.

overflowed

Their choice....if they choose not to play the game....will simply result in them getting home to their families half an hour later every day.

I have been around long enough to not be intimidated. And my kids are out of the house so if I need to bring 20 stops back at 10:00 at night in order to shove managements failed dispatch back down their throat I have no problem doing so. But it is asking a lot of a new hire, who is easily intimidated and has a family at home, to sit in the truck for an entire hour in the middle of the day knowing full well that (a) he/she will face managements wrath for the service failures and (b) his/her kids will be in bed by the time they get home. The reality is that most of them are going to work thru most if not all of their lunch in order to avoid working in the dark, missing stops and getting home late. Management knows this, and cynically exploits it to their own advantage when they demand that we enter a full hour lunch.
Curious as I'm Express, but how can you guys work during your lunch, fedex locks us out when you punch break and still people work through their lunch in one of two ways. Doing pick ups or delivery during break, but entering it after the lunch is ended. However, its obvious to management if you are doing a stop every minute when you come off break for 15 or 20 minutes. I know that's what they'd like us all to do.

So in your opinion cover drivers should skip lunch and breaks so they can do more work? If in the 4 buildings you are in the bid drivers do 20-30% less work then. I guess the cover drivers are somewhat affected by not being able to get on the 9.5 list due to their low seniority, agree? I would make sure I took my breaks within the first 4 and last 4 hours, and also take the full lunch then. Maybe they can put another route on if enough of you cover guys stood together.

I don't think anybody should skip lunch. I don't ever work for free, and I always take my breaks. The other day I got my air at 15:00. So instead of being a problem child, I only took 10 minutes. Delivered my last business at 16:00 in the town I delivered. Then my very last business was delivered at 17:45, 30 minutes away.

I usually take a 1/2 hour every day. If I take less, it's because I don't want to double trip for 10-15 stops. Nothing to do with needing extra routes, and I usually get a talkin to in the morning.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I've done my share of lunch skipping as a young cover driver.
I was a fool. Didn't know better. Left thousands on the table to get home early.
When you get your own route, take every minute of that lunch break.
If you skip any of it, I have 5 words for you.....
YOU WILL GET MORE WORK

Most say it won't happen to them, BUT IT ALWAYS DOES.
I have always told everyone where there will be days you do what you have to do. you need to get somewhere, I understand you have a life. If its once in a while, no problem. Do not sort your truck before start time, do not skip your lunch and put it in, as though you took it. If you take 5 minutes put it in. UPS has lots of money, you do not need to work free....falling on deaf ears.