Managment following you

oldngray

nowhere special
I've done it both ways. You don't learn a route the same on a phone as on a map.

While a phone may be faster and easier for individual stops a map is the better way to learn in the long run.
Use a map to memorize the area so you won't need a map or a phone most of the time.

If you get in the habit of using a phone as a crutch you won't really learn the area.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Cardfile and a garage sale briefcase full of maps
Treated them like gold
All of my maps are laminated. At one point at my old center between maps and map books and lamination I probably had $250-300 in my maps. When I transfered centers there was a lot of ass kissing over who would get my maps.

Brownslave688

Use a map to memorize the area so you won't need a map or a phone most of the time.

If you get in the habit of using a phone as a crutch you won't really learn the area.
I know 4-5 guys that failed to make scratch and a large part of that was looking up every freaking stop on the phone.

Instead of looking at a map and mapping out their next 10-15.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I can't even imagine using my phone for every stop talk about draining your battery. We have a guy in our center who still refuses to use a map every chance he gets I see him charging that darn thing.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Only map i've ever used is my phone. I'm going strong... Honestly it's easier and faster than a paper map. By the time you get your bearing on a paper map i already did what i needed to do and am on my way.
I'll take that challenge every day of the week. You and I go out blind on the same route with the same stops, I'll use a paper map and you use your phone and I will chew you up and spit you out every time.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That's good, really.

The first two rural routes I learned had card files for directions.

Better than any map or GPS once you learned the original driver's landmarks.

Plus you could write on the card file where they worked or where their second cousin lived if you happened to be out that way

Brisket

The reason i ask is i plan on driving soon but dont know how you can learn a route without using a map on your phone . Just thought it was crazy they would try and do that ....

Um, how about going 'old school' and using a paper map or map book? Just a thought...
IMG_4592.JPG

Brownslave688

I'll take that challenge every day of the week. You and I go out blind on the same route with the same stops, I'll use a paper map and you use your phone and I will chew you up and spit you out every time.

If it's a county on a grid system I'll have every stop marked with a dry eraser before we pull out of the building.

Brownslave688

That's good, really.

The first two rural routes I learned had card files for directions.

Better than any map or GPS once you learned the original driver's landmarks.
We still need them for a few routes here.

I'd like to see these guys GPS our county without 911 addresses.

Brisket

If management catches you on your phone while driving is that a write up or termination ?, a local driver was telling me he almost got fired for using his phone while driving . Has anyone else had this issue

You could think of it this way: they could have hit something or God forbid someone while doing that...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Plus you could write on the card file where they worked or where their second cousin lived if you happened to be out that way

I covered a route that the driver had five drawers of cards welded together. He had the directions down to the tenth of a mile. His directions were actually too hard to follow because of the detail.

I bid on a route with a kind of sketchy file, because the driver lived in the area, so the detail wasn't there.

We had just gotten our first computer around then, and I set up a database file in Appleworks instead of a card file. I put a lot of time in at first (mostly because I wanted to learn how to do stuff on the computer), and maybe an hour a week later on. I was able to sort the information any way I wanted, and I printed it and put it all into a three-ring binder. My cover driver loved it, because all the directions were heading out from the center of the route and I made them as simple as possible. And yes, I also put alternate delivery info in.

My center manager saw it once, and asked if I could put a book together for other rural routes. I told him very simply that he couldn't afford it.

rod

Retired 22 years
For years all we ever used was other peoples phones (land lines) and made up a card when we found someone new.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If management catches you on your phone while driving is that a write up or termination ?, a local driver was telling me he almost got fired for using his phone while driving . Has anyone else had this issue
I would say, "Nope, wasn't me".

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The last route I ran had stops in 4 different counties all numbered differently

So, the week before I started it I went to each county courthouse and got a good map cost me $10 each

Went in on Monday showed the boss my receipts
And asked if he'd reimburse me

His reply was ups has never bought maps and never will

I said ok and ran them all through the shredder right in front of him worked 12 hours that day and drove over 300 miles

rod

Retired 22 years
The last route I ran had stops in 4 different counties all numbered differently

So, the week before I started it I went to each county courthouse and got a good map cost me $10 each

Went in on Monday showed the boss my receipts
And asked if he'd reimburse me

His reply was ups has never bought maps and never will

I said ok and ran them all through the shredder right in front of him worked 12 hours that day and drove over 300 miles

Back in the day we would have just petty cashed them and the boss would have never known--or cared ---if he did know. I've petty cashed every thing from rain coats to flashlights.