Managment following you

Hellobrown2000

If management catches you on your phone while driving is that a write up or termination ?, a local driver was telling me he almost got fired for using his phone while driving . Has anyone else had this issue
Most of the time you'll get 2 or 3 days of ride along. Most of the time that's all you should need

Rack em

Made the Podium
As a cover driver who does a lot of rural routes, I have used both google maps and paper maps and I prefer paper maps waaaaaaaaaaaay more. Our county maps show us whether a road is paved, gravel, dirt, or even a trail cutting through a field. So I know if it's raining/snowing not to go on certain roads or else I'll potentially get stuck. Google maps would just carrot a point on the road.

And a lot of the time google maps is way off and thinks a house is at one spot but it's either back half a mile or the house 3 houses up. So by looking at your phone, you just blew by the stop and have to back track. Even worse, you go to the wrong house because you didn't look for a house number and you mis deliver a package. You scanned the package and the diad started freaking out saying you're not in the right area, but you know you have to be at the right house because google maps said so. Now you have a mis delivery and a DFU for the next day.

Paper maps>GPS/Google by a landslide!

Over 70

As a cover driver who does a lot of rural routes, I have used both google maps and paper maps and I prefer paper maps waaaaaaaaaaaay more. Our county maps show us whether a road is paved, gravel, dirt, or even a trail cutting through a field. So I know if it's raining/snowing not to go on certain roads or else I'll potentially get stuck. Google maps would just carrot a point on the road.

And a lot of the time google maps is way off and thinks a house is at one spot but it's either back half a mile or the house 3 houses up. So by looking at your phone, you just blew by the stop and have to back track. Even worse, you go to the wrong house because you didn't look for a house number and you mis deliver a package. You scanned the package and the diad started freaking out saying you're not in the right area, but you know you have to be at the right house because google maps said so. Now you have a mis delivery and a DFU for the next day.

Paper maps>GPS/Google by a landslide!

I'd agree paper all the way for very rural routes. I noticed how the address is more of a suggestion on google lol.

Google maps is my goto if I'm not 100% and need a nudge in the right direction. I figure the 10 seconds to voice command the address is worth not driving by it, turning wrong way on address split, etc. Its way faster than a paper map. It's no way to learn a route though and would be nuts for each stop. I look, oh ok I know where I'm going and put phone away.

I think both have their place.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'd agree paper all the way for very rural routes. I noticed how the address is more of a suggestion on google lol.

Google maps is my goto if I'm not 100% and need a nudge in the right direction. I figure the 10 seconds to voice command the address is worth not driving by it, turning wrong way on address split, etc. Its way faster than a paper map. It's no way to learn a route though and would be nuts for each stop. I look, oh ok I know where I'm going and put phone away.

I think both have their place.
Sometimes it just helps to see what the building looks like on the satellite view

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Typical management bullying response
IMG_0161.GIF

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
If management catches you on your phone while driving is that a write up or termination ?, a local driver was telling me he almost got fired for using his phone while driving . Has anyone else had this issue
If you must use your phone. Download the app RoadWarrior. You can add as many stops as you want and it will give you a stop for stop direction manifest. I use it whenever I work Saturday air and am not familiar with certain zip codes. Worth a shot

MC0493

If you must use your phone. Download the app RoadWarrior. You can add as many stops as you want and it will give you a stop for stop direction manifest. I use it whenever I work Saturday air and am not familiar with certain zip codes. Worth a shot
Now that sounds like a waste of time. How long does it take to add however many addresses you're adding.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Now that sounds like a waste of time. How long does it take to add however many addresses you're adding.
Like I said, it works for me working Saturday Air with 20-25 stops. If the OP is that stressed about it he could input his first 20 stops to get a feel for the area. Then go from there.

Its not that time consuming, and easily the best app of its kind.

PT Car Washer

Like I said, it works for me working Saturday Air with 20-25 stops. If the OP is that stressed about it he could input his first 20 stops to get a feel for the area. Then go from there.

Its not that time consuming, and easily the best app of its kind.
Is your app better then the ORION solution for Saturday Air? Some Saturdays ORION is not terrible, but other Saturdays it is terrible.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Is your app better then the ORION solution for Saturday Air? Some Saturdays ORION is not terrible, but other Saturdays it is terrible.
Here we don't have any manifest whatsoever. We just have the board for scanning. Manual address input like you would a misload. Also we don't use ORION for ground. Still just good ol edd.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here we don't have any manifest whatsoever. We just have the board for scanning. Manual address input like you would a misload. Also we don't use ORION for ground. Still just good ol edd.

Our Saturday air drivers also do not have Orion as they leave directly from the airport to start delivering.

The last time that I drove on Saturday I did use my cell phone to find a couple of addresses as our Saturday delivery area includes parts that I had never delivered to in the past. I did not map my entire route out on my phone as I knew most of it and doing so would have been a huge waste of time, especially since I had EAMs to get rid of by 1030.