Mandated lunch!!!!! Fact finding

are you taking your lunch? In full?during the prescribed time?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dr.Brownz

Yes you are still lo

sing $$$. If your route is dispatched at 9 hours of work and you run your lunch and bring it in at 8 hrs. You just gave ups $34.00. I never get why any drivers would give any part of their lunch away. I enjoy my hour of downtime.

You don't get paid for lunch read what he wrote again

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You don't get paid for lunch, but if you work through it, you just lost an hour of pay.

Comprende?

This isn't rocket surgery.

Apparently you don't comprede.

If they do not take his lunch out automatically, he is not losing anything.

Let's say he has a 9 hour dispatch. He gets back 9 hours later taking his full unpaid hour lunch. He gets paid for 8 hours.

If he skips his lunch and gets in 8 hours later, he gets paid for 8 hours.

Comprende?

Let's say he has a 9 hour dispatch. He gets back 9 hours later taking his full unpaid hour lunch. He gets paid for 8 hours.

Comprende?
Ya he just gave them $50 instead of $34

BrownArmy

Comprende?

We don't have that option here.

Comprende?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Ya he just gave them $50 instead of $34

Only if UPS deducts the hour for the lunch that he did not take. And they legally cannot do this.

And overtime does not start until after the 9th hour in this case. On the clock for 9 hours with an hour unpaid lunch is paid at 8 hours straight time.

On the clock for 8 hours with no lunch taken and no hour deducted is paid at 8 hours straight time.

While I do not agree with skipping your lunch, if you can skip it, not withstanding state law or UPS mandates, and get in an hour earlier and get paid the same, I can't say much to the guy.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My run has no pick ups so if I don't take a lunch and don't put anything in, I'm not loosing any $$$$. And I always take my paid breaks

Honestly, what are you trying to get out of this? UPS has a right to request that you take a lunch and does so for its own benefit - not yours. If you choose not to take a lunch but instead work a half-hour unpaid, that's your choice. If another driver complains about it, that's his choice too since your actions directly impact time studies. And if the company decides to fire your for being dishonest & exposing it to liability when you were working unpaid... that's it's choice too.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Honestly, what are you trying to get out of this? UPS has a right to request that you take a lunch and does so for its own benefit - not yours. If you choose not to take a lunch but instead work a half-hour unpaid, that's your choice. If another driver complains about it, that's his choice too since your actions directly impact time studies. And if the company decides to fire your for being dishonest & exposing it to liability when you were working unpaid... that's it's choice too.
How does ups benefit from making you take a lunch?they benefit from you not taking a lunch (you will back to the bldg 1 hour earlier

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The company has the right to mandate employees take a lunch.

But in this case, UPS seems to allow him to not take his lunch and they do not deduct the half hour.

So he is NOT working a half hour unpaid.

He is getting in sooner and making the same money.

And this does not affect the time study. The time study does not study the driver. It does not matter how fast or slow he is, or whether he takes his meal, or whether he works through breaks.

The time study is irrelevant of which driver is doing the route. They study the route, distance from street, steps walked, business, residential, not the driver.

BrownArmy

It never occurred to me that a driver could not input a lunch.

Where I am, that's a warning letter, to start, and downhill after that.

Mugrolla, please call my Local 25 and tell us what we're doing wrong.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It never occurred to me that a driver could not input a lunch.

Where I am, that's a warning letter, to start, and downhill after that.

Mugrolla, please call my Local 25 and tell us what we're doing wrong.

It is where I am at also.

But you know different rules for different areas.

It would be different if he was putting in his lunch and working through it. I would in no way defend that.

But some areas allow drivers to skip their lunch, allowing them to get in earlier, and not have it deducted.

I don't have a problem with a driver doing this to get home an hour earlier and see his family.

But if UPS mandates, in this guy's center, that everyone punches in their lunch and take it, this will be the end of getting home an hour earlier.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
But some areas allow drivers to skip their lunch, allowing them to get in earlier, and not have it deducted.
probably my last 20 years in feeders, I never took a lunch hour per se. Upper management would come out and say every few months that we were required to take it, but the guy sitting at the window could choose to ignore that order, and they did, every dispatcher I had. It sure makes it easier on dispatch. Tractor assignments are easier. He knows a hot load isn't sitting at a whataburger somewhere while the hub is blowing up his phone wanting to know where their load is. Bottom line is and the point that mattered most to me, is it was an hour more a day I got to stay at home, in my bed, sleeping, or hanging with the wife or kids. And an hour less I got to hang around and put up with their silly rules and hot topic of the day. This 30 minute break mandated by the DOT is one you can't get around, right? It came into effect after I retired, so I'm not sure how its being handled.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
We have drivers who do this so they look good on paper. They don't realize in some instances they are actually loosing money.
Why would you let UPS take money from you? I give UPS a fair days work for a fair days pay. If I ever caught a supervisor suggesting I "work through lunch" I would file a federal lawsuit so fast they would not know what happened.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This 30 minute break mandated by the DOT is one you can't get around, right? It came into effect after I retired, so I'm not sure how its being handled.
That one is fairly easy to get around. I know a common move to get around it is guys take their 20 minute paid break and 10 minutes unpaid.