March 19, 1998

Years back a driver ran over a little girl, killing her. That gets brought up every year because there is actually something we can do to prevent it. The receiver hadn't ordered the bomb package, didn't recognize the shipper, and they could have refused it. As unfortunate as the situation was, the receiver was in a better position to have prevented it than UPS was.
Backing over children are a much bigger issue.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Backing over children are a much bigger issue.

I agree, just using that as an example to show that UPS doesn't hush up everything as mech lift was suggesting. The reason that the bomb package isn't talked about constantly is that doing so wouldn't change or help anything.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
On March 19th 1998, a UPS driver delivered a box to a young man who opened the pkg and it exploded.
You did exactly what the author of the piece wanted you to do. You reacted with emotion because the author added dramatic flair to the article. Who cares that the guy got a bomb delivered to him? It's more personal now that you add a brand or a person to it.

How is UPS protecting us from another attack like this?
  • The same way petroleum manufacturers are going to prevent plane fuel from igniting at another 9/11
  • The same way Smith and Wesson and Colt are going to stop guns from being in the hands of Sandy Hook killers or Las Vegas sociopaths
  • The same way the company who makes pressure cookers did for the Boston Marathon
C'mon man, if the military cannot protect us from nukes, and the cops can't protect us from drunk drivers, what makes you think a company can protect us from all the dangers that are out there?

The kid was trying to make money, he wasn't a rich ups driver like you..

All I can say is you haven't been here long enough, you don't know Austin. He still lives at home with mom and is the resident footwear expert. Stop bullying him!

Did the driver get charged with anything?

That's about the dumbest thing you could ask. Why the hell would the driver get charged, he isn't the bomb making murderer.

Ups kept it hush hush like usual..

Again WTF does it have to do with UPS other than some poor bastard driver delivered a box from some POS nutbag.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
WUT?
I would think UPS has higher priorities but I believe it is UPS's policy not to allow the shipment of bombs.
SMH
excepted-quantities__87966.1462754535.jpg

If they put that on the package then they can

W

What The Hawk?

On March 19th 1998, a UPS driver delivered a box to a young man who opened the pkg and it exploded. Yes , the young man had angered some long distance truckers with false promises who sought revenge. I'm curious to hear from drivers or long time upsers on what was said during this time? How is UPS protecting us from another attack like this?
Just imagine if a loader saw some kind of suspicion with the package and sent it to a clerk or a sup to check it out? I'm not saying the kid deserved it but I'm glad someone who had nothing to do with his scam opened that package up.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was just curious what was said during the PCMS during this time, looks like no one knows..I'm not spooked, I have been trained to expect the unexpected, I was just curious about what happened before drivers were trained to " expect the unexpected" lol
I remember the story but noting was said about it at our center other than the guys talking about it amongst themselves.