March is Raise month.....or not.

whenIgetthere

Can you actually imagine how that can happen? They've cut so much from express, I don't know what else. Maybe they will pull a hostess twinky move by firing the express division and reopening with Ground type employees. Yes, that will be the next move. That will eliminate overtime, vacation, 401k, disability, sick pay and so on. Got to love American capitalism. Is it true the company is renting out a building in Mumbai full of 21 year old Indian men and 5 flight simulators? LOL.

I can think of a few ways to screw employees more. I was talking to my barber today and he told me his wife works at Walgreens. They stripped them of all the vacation time and sick time. She had four weeks and six days sick time. Now it "earned time", and it is earned at a much lower rate than she would get the old way. I see fred pulling this BS on us in the very near future. This would work to the cheap bastards advantage where most employees are getting fewer hours, hence, vacation time and sick time would add up to a lot fewer paid days off. They would only have to figure out a bid policy for this before implementing it.

FedExRookie

Can you actually imagine how that can happen? They've cut so much from express, I don't know what else. Maybe they will pull a hostess twinky move by firing the express division and reopening with Ground type employees. Yes, that will be the next move. That will eliminate overtime, vacation, 401k, disability, sick pay and so on. Got to love American capitalism. Is it true the company is renting out a building in Mumbai full of 21 year old Indian men and 5 flight simulators? LOL.

I saw a local ad for a temp service for 'Fedex', but it didn't say which division of Fedex. I initially assumed ground, but it said it offered benefits (healthcare, dental, vision, 401K, tuition reimbursement) and it had me thinking if Express is going temp. It's speculation, I didn't follow up for several reasons, I'm already employed and I will be leaving as soon as I graduate this year.

DontThrowPackages

I can think of a few ways to screw employees more. I was talking to my barber today and he told me his wife works at Walgreens. They stripped them of all the vacation time and sick time. She had four weeks and six days sick time. Now it "earned time", and it is earned at a much lower rate than she would get the old way. I see fred pulling this BS on us in the very near future. This would work to the cheap bastards advantage where most employees are getting fewer hours, hence, vacation time and sick time would add up to a lot fewer paid days off. They would only have to figure out a bid policy for this before implementing it.
Yes, only politicians and bankers deserve the amount of vacation time express drivers get. I see them going away too. It will coincide with the immigration act passing. Once all the cheap labor become "Legal", kiss your 5 week vacations goodbye.

yadig

If you believe were getting a raise this year then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. Besides, they had to shill the VP's there bonus's for the great peak they got us thru.

Slick silver

It's true about that, temps would always take over routes especially after another guy would quit after being abused with so many stops and long hours. Basically ground is a revolving door of drivers. I was surprised I last as long as I did on the ground side before switching to express.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I saw a local ad for a temp service for 'Fedex', but it didn't say which division of Fedex. I initially assumed ground, but it said it offered benefits (healthcare, dental, vision, 401K, tuition reimbursement) and it had me thinking if Express is going temp. It's speculation, I didn't follow up for several reasons, I'm already employed and I will be leaving as soon as I graduate this year.

Quite possible, especially now that so many people quit after a couple of weeks. Temps would have no use for a 401k though, or tuition refund for that matter, since you are, by definition, temporary.

Slick silver

Now that I'm at express full time I actually feel like I'm in a career not a job. Hoping not to get sick or get hurt off the job and losing pay for all those years was a stress in itself. Ground is like being a day laborer, like in the early 1900. You know there is work but no benefits or good pay

Sent using BrownCafe App

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Now that I'm at express full time I actually feel like I'm in a career not a job.
this too shall pass...

Twenty years ago Express was a career (or so we thought), but unfortunately we are living in much different times. My advice to anyone who is still relatively new and young is to find something else. Don't get bogged down here believing that some fine day things are going to turn around and the good times will be back. They won't.

FedExRookie

Quite possible, especially now that so many people quit after a couple of weeks. Temps would have no use for a 401k though, or tuition refund for that matter, since you are, by definition, temporary.

Maybe they were referring to benefits if you became hired permanent?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe they were referring to benefits if you became hired permanent?

That makes more sense. Even if we all get a raise in March, Fred will take it back (and then some) in the form of reduced and/or more expensive benefits. He will lose nothing. Anyone who thinks they will actually be bringing home higher take-home pay needs a psychological evaluation.

dezguy

Exactly. Every year my benefits co pay goes up about the same amount my raise is. I get no further ahead than I was the year before. Maybe, in 20 years when the kids are out of the house, my raises will actually mean something but knowing this company, probably not.