Masks required

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
TLDR summary: CDC does a 180 on mask recommedations. I accept that, but still have my objections. Anyone else who doesn't feel masks for the general population are warranted care to weigh in?

Full story -

I have been painfully clear about my feelings about the general population wearing masks. Now the CDC is flip-flopping on its position, based on the understanding that people who are asymptomatic or presymptomatic can be/are contagious.

I deliver to medical facilities that are starting to require masks to enter. And even local stores are starting to require masks. Apparently masks are now no longer in short supply. I still have my same objections to wearing masks, but I am trying to reconcile those with these new requirements in my community. And we aren't having nearly the issues that other states are.

In general, the CDC is only recommending face coverings of any sort. I have some suspicions that this is partly to placate the masses, since it has been known for some time that people without symptoms can still spread the virus. And I am also concerned that the recommendation will become requirement, even in places where it is unwarranted, based solely on "it's better than nothing" as far as I can tell.

In general I am not concerned about contracting the virus myself, though I don't particularly want to be spreading it to others, and I don't want to be seen as intentionally putting others at risk by not wearing a mask. It is the fact that it is almost entirely about appearances that bothers me most. The fact that enough people demanding something can have that sort of impact on my liberty to make choices for myself that really rankles my sensibilities.

In the case of medical facilities, what bothers me is the waste and the haphazard way the masks are stored and distributed. A guy wearing gloves just picked one up and handed me a mask telling me it was required to wear one. The masks themselves were just sitting out in the open. I have no clue where that guy was putting his gloved hand, and who knows what particles could have landed on the masks? Those things don't particularly bother me, because I'm not a germophobe, it's the hypocrisy, the double standard by which they operate in making and carrying out these decisions.

At this point I am ready to throw in the towel (or put it over my face and nose), to give up, to love Big Brother, just because I am fed up with trying to fight the oncoming tide of lunacy. Anyone else having issues with this?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
TLDR summary: CDC does a 180 on mask recommedations. I accept that, but still have my objections. Anyone else who doesn't feel masks for the general population are warranted care to weigh in?

Full story -

I have been painfully clear about my feelings about the general population wearing masks. Now the CDC is flip-flopping on its position, based on the understanding that people who are asymptomatic or presymptomatic can be/are contagious.

I deliver to medical facilities that are starting to require masks to enter. And even local stores are starting to require masks. Apparently masks are now no longer in short supply. I still have my same objections to wearing masks, but I am trying to reconcile those with these new requirements in my community. And we aren't having nearly the issues that other states are.

In general, the CDC is only recommending face coverings of any sort. I have some suspicions that this is partly to placate the masses, since it has been known for some time that people without symptoms can still spread the virus. And I am also concerned that the recommendation will become requirement, even in places where it is unwarranted, based solely on "it's better than nothing" as far as I can tell.

In general I am not concerned about contracting the virus myself, though I don't particularly want to be spreading it to others, and I don't want to be seen as intentionally putting others at risk by not wearing a mask. It is the fact that it is almost entirely about appearances that bothers me most. The fact that enough people demanding something can have that sort of impact on my liberty to make choices for myself that really rankles my sensibilities.

In the case of medical facilities, what bothers me is the waste and the haphazard way the masks are stored and distributed. A guy wearing gloves just picked one up and handed me a mask telling me it was required to wear one. The masks themselves were just sitting out in the open. I have no clue where that guy was putting his gloved hand, and who knows what particles could have landed on the masks? Those things don't particularly bother me, because I'm not a germophobe, it's the hypocrisy, the double standard by which they operate in making and carrying out these decisions.

At this point I am ready to throw in the towel (or put it over my face and nose), to give up, to love Big Brother, just because I am fed up with trying to fight the oncoming tide of lunacy. Anyone else having issues with this?
I see it as a good sign that restrictions are gonna be scaled back sooner than later. They seem to think these behavior modifications are gonna be enough to get us through the resurgence in the fall.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
298F93CD-6645-4599-B231-7C5B06EA1BFD.jpeg

the COVID-19 generation!

centinel

Told our center manager we need 3-4 disposable masks per day per driver for this to be feasible. As soon as you take it off or pull it down to drink water or get a snack, it's potentially contaminated and done for service. Put it back on and you're worse off than not wearing a mask and just practicing social distancing and avoiding touching your face.

I put one on every morning just before entering the building, and it stays on until I complete my last business delivery around 1400. No liquid refreshment for that entire time, and it gets hot and I feel dehydrated. If I really wanted a drink any earlier, I would have to wash my hands and face before applying a new mask.

Having masks that have been taken off and put back on is nothing more than window dressing to appear compliant.

And cloth masks need to be washed before being reused.

If you were in a military unit and everyone was in MOPP gear and your patrol had just been exposed to nerve agent, you'd eventually travel to an area where all clear could be given and you'd methodically and safely remove your gear. You sure as hell wouldn't put it back on without thoroughly cleaning and decontaminating it. Why treat your gear any different for virii?

Don't believe me? Here's the latest and greatest from the Sacramento Bee:

Are you wearing your face mask properly? Many people aren't, coronavirus experts say

Last edited:

centinel

That’s funny we had a driver recently deliver to a place with a couple positive tests.

driver: what’s the protocol here? What do I need to do?

center manager: deliver the packages

D: I’m not sure I feel safe going in there

center manager: I don’t really care. Deliver the packages

D: what about my safety?

center manager: what about it? Your safety is your problem. Go buy your own damn masks or wipes or whatever but ups isn’t gonna do it. Get the hell out of here and deliver the packages.
I guess he's never had a county health officer show up at the center unannounced.