Mass exodus of RTDs

dezguy

A mechanic friend of mine just told me last night that he was hearing that P02 was going to go to freight. Since the FOPRT was closed down, I have been anticipating heavyweights to go to them as well but have not heard anything about that. OLVRT closed its big truck maintenance six months ago and sending all repairs to TAB. Has anyone else heard of any MX being shut down?
For sure!

bacha29

How many years did you work for FedEx? I can't remember.
Can't remember huh? Probably a lot of things you chose not to remember. No doubt that first among them is the day when you had to go crawling back to Fat Freddy and ask for your job back. Hahahaha!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
What Dano doesn't understand is that it doesn't matter the capacity in which you're working for Fat Freddy you're still working for Fat Freddy and that alone says everything.. So remember you're dealing with a guy who has made way,way too many trips to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy. We just dreaded it when our TM had to go because it took us a month of Sunday's to get him back to reality.

Unfortunately, in Dano's case........there's no bringing him back. However, you don't need to feel because you tried. The rest of us gave up a long time ago.
Well said there. I think you hit the nail right on the head.

P1 Failure

A mechanic friend of mine just told me last night that he was hearing that P02 was going to go to freight. Since the FOPRT was closed down, I have been anticipating heavyweights to go to them as well but have not heard anything about that. OLVRT closed its big truck maintenance six months ago and sending all repairs to TAB. Has anyone else heard of any MX being shut down?
When did FOP close down? As far as I know they are still open and running heavyweight. Why would they move heavyweight to Freight when those drivers make as much or maybe more than our RTD drivers? OLVRT probably closed down cuz of construction they are doing to modernize the hub.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Can't remember huh? Probably a lot of things you chose not to remember. No doubt that first among them is the day when you had to go crawling back to Fat Freddy and ask for your job back. Hahahaha!

Oh wait. ZERO! The guy with zero years is telling the guy with a lot more than zero years about Express.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh wait. ZERO! The guy with zero years is telling the guy with a lot more than zero years about Express.
06CC7240-8C94-4F76-BD30-6E5C60B0ED6C.jpeg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

All of the people he used to manage got a petition together and then ran a relay in a tornado to Memphis so they could present the document to Fred in person at his plantation. Fredward immediately dispatched a convoy to Dano's house, sobered him up, and brought him by limo back to his former station, where a crowd of zero cheered him back.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

B effing S.

Empty Pockets

IDK. Can you tell us what PO2, FOPRT, OLVRT, TAB, and MX stand for?
TAB - I meant to say TAG Truck Repair
MX - FedEx vehicle maintenance
PO2 - Two day freight, non heavyweight. Heavy weight is F1 or F2
The other letters refer to the city/station.
"A" refers to a station where couriers deliver from.
"R" refers to a ramp
"RT" refers to a heavyweight station where heavyweights are delivered to of from.
"H" is a hub
OLVRT is the Memphis heavyweight station that picks up or delivers F1 or F2 freight in the memphis and surrounding areas.
OLVA is one of two stations that delivers PO1 and PO2 freight
NQA is the other memphis station but does not do heavyweight
FOPRT was a heavyweight location that closed down in Atlanta a few years ago
MEMH is the identifier for Memphis hub

OLVRT has about 100 tractors but closed it's maintenance facility. They had about 15 mechanics that were moved to other areas like dolly repair in the hub. Two were left to ride around in the work truck to do trailer PMs(preventive maintenance). It is crazy that they have 100 trucks and no mechanics to do repairs. They now have to take them to the TAG shop and drop them off.

Empty Pockets

When did FOP close down? As far as I know they are still open and running heavyweight. Why would they move heavyweight to Freight when those drivers make as much or maybe more than our RTD drivers? OLVRT probably closed down cuz of construction they are doing to modernize the hub.
I do not really talk to anyone down there so not sure if it was reopened or what. I do know that it was closed down more than 5 years ago. I will look into it.

Why move heavyweight to Freight? They do make as much or more than us, but look at it from a company standpoint. Six years ago, they closed down MSLA, Muscle Shoals station to save money. I am sure they had a team of engineers show how much money they could save. I will save details but if they saved a few bucks per month for that, closing an RT would save them millions. Here is an example...JANRT has a new building, one manager, and less than ten employees. If they closed it down and sent that freight to Freight, they would cut:
Thousands per month lease
1 heavyweight driver to and from the hub at night $60,000 per year
2 PUD day drivers $120,000 per year
Then cut the manager loose ($100,000/year)and place 7 folks under JANA manager

That is ginormous compared to the MSL closure. Now, how much would it cost to truck and deliver a half trailer of JAN heavyweight on Freight? I am sure the space could be absorbed on the multiple trucks that Freight already has going from MEM to Jackson, Ms. daily. The delivery drivers are probably going to some of the same places that we go to anyway. Maybe even just move the express drivers to freight and just close down the new building.

I hope this does not happen to us but fully expect it to happen to them. HSVRT and BHMRT have similar numbers as well.

Last edited:

zeev

Express heavyweight is an air LTL the only area that possibly be effected by tariffs it is not effected. Fred’s bs on tariffs is just that. What has changed is that Amazon saw a way to cut costs and adopted the FedEx ground model than they needed planes to move their next day inventory. They are desperate to pump up the company by adding casuals to Express competing with ground. Also the talking heads are constantly pumping this stock so Fred can make his exit.

bacha29

Express heavyweight is an air LTL the only area that possibly be effected by tariffs it is not effected. Fred’s bs on tariffs is just that. What has changed is that Amazon saw a way to cut costs and adopted the FedEx ground model than they needed planes to move their next day inventory. They are desperate to pump up the company by adding casuals to Express competing with ground. Also the talking heads are constantly pumping this stock so Fred can make his exit.
Again, it simply doesn't matter what OPCO your with or what job or contract you hold, you're still working for Fat Freddy due to the fact that he, his family and his holding company are the largest shareholders.
In his public comments Fat Freddy made it clear that what he wants are Black & Decker's, human work tools that will go out every day in every weather and road condition and bust their posteriors all day and half the night in the same fashion as contractor employed drivers Trouble is he wants Black & Decker's at McDonald's wages.

If he can get them, more power to him. Given the hell to pay if he can't it would appear that he is very firm in his convictions.