Maximum walking distance?

some1else

Banned
I think the op is hearing a variation on the time study rules. My time study idiot when i had the mall addmitted to me there is a MAXIMUM walk allowance per stop (idk the exact number he said someing like 300'). So even if you have to walk 1000' you only get time for the first 300'.

This is why malls are so screwed up on time allowances. I have a big load for a store 800' from nearest parking spot and push 4 cartloads = 2400' total and get credit for 300'. So to make time i would have to walk 8x as fast as the "brisk pace" allowance through a mall pushing a cart. Why are mall driver always 3-4 hours over??? Lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think the op is hearing a variation on the time study rules. My time study idiot when i had the mall addmitted to me there is a MAXIMUM walk allowance per stop (idk the exact number he said someing like 300'). So even if you have to walk 1000' you only get time for the first 300'.

This is why malls are so screwed up on time allowances. I have a big load for a store 800' from nearest parking spot and push 4 cartloads = 2400' total and get credit for 300'. So to make time i would have to walk 8x as fast as the "brisk pace" allowance through a mall pushing a cart. Why are mall driver always 3-4 hours over??? Lol
Also when we lost time per piece mall cars and industrial routes lost the most amount of time...and usually these are the types of routes that are bricked out thus needing more time to find pkgs...The times are a joke..been on my route many years..know everything about it..get help from my customers..keep the chitchat to a minimum touch 800 plus a day and I'm 1.5 over a day...use to make some bonus a few years back..it's all been taken away because of an auto door and time per pkg..it's a corporate scam..plan and simple..

Packmule

What is the maximum distance a driver is required to walk to make a delivery? Is there anything in the contract about it? A couple drivers have claimed there is and also said in certain areas drivers who deliver large mall complexes that require lots of walking get bonus pay. Anyone know anything?

What is the longest you personally have walked?
About two hundred yards in the dark at a country stop. Family had visitors who brought their bad :censored2: boxer with them. I walked two hundred yards backwards to my truck. Now I keep my walks under fifty yards and my vehicle (safe haven) close!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No turn around. Was instructed per PCM not to back per center manager.
I heard the same PCM, and I usually have the most backs per day of anyone in the center. They haven't said a word to me about it in years. I have packages to deliver and if I walked off every long driveway it would take me days, not hours, to finish the route.

soberups

If there is no turn around and the homeowner has not put a secured drop box at their end of their driveway you have no choice other than to walk it off.
I probably average 20 stops a day where the package gets bagged and left behind or tied to a gate. It has been a customary practice here for many years and I cant remember ever having a DR claim.

soberups

Out in the country, I'm not comfortable walking up a driveway after dark if the package car is not visible from the customers front door. I have done it in the past and wound up surprising and/or scaring the hell out of people, some of whom were either partially undressed or in close proximity to a gun.

soberups

Name one other occupation where the stated policy and expectation for employees is to walk up long residential driveways, after dark, out of sight of the vehicle, and without the homeowner being notified in advance of such activity.

The only one I can think of is the police. They have guns, body armor and radios. I don't.

Dr.Brownz

Name one other occupation where the stated policy and expectation for employees is to walk up long residential driveways, after dark, out of sight of the vehicle, and without the homeowner being notified in advance of such activity.

The only one I can think of is the police. They have guns, body armor and radios. I don't.

Exactly. Screw trying to be a hero. Work safe always. If there is any question of an activities safeness, the answer is no, don't do it. I'm not risking getting bit over someones cheap crap from amazon or QVC. There was a driver here many, many years ago that was taken down by two dogs and suffered career ending injuries.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Meter readers?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
...Now if they would fix the notes in the DIAD so cover drivers don't get into bad situations when they do my route.
The problem with that is the notes don't show until the package is scanned at the time of delivery, in which case, the driver has already driven up said driveway.

Packmule

The problem with that is the notes don't show until the package is scanned at the time of delivery, in which case, the driver has already driven up said driveway.
There is an N next to every address that has a note. The problem is how many times I have to give mgt the same info before they finally put it in the board.
Then the status changes for one of a million reasons and the regular driver can't get old notes removed.
They need to rig the computers so drivers can input that stuff themselves.

soberups

Meter readers?
The meter reader on my route has a compact 4x4 pickup truck that allows him to drive clear up to the customers house in order to read the meter, and his hours are such that he doesn't take readings after dark. And if for whatever reason he is unable to access a particular property, the power company simply bills the customer based upon a historically average reading.

oldngray

nowhere special
The meter reader on my route has a compact 4x4 pickup truck that allows him to drive clear up to the customers house in order to read the meter, and his hours are such that he doesn't take readings after dark. And if for whatever reason he is unable to access a particular property, the power company simply bills the customer based upon a historically average reading.

Aren't those meters mostly wireless now where he just needs to drive near the house to read it?

soberups

Aren't those meters mostly wireless now where he just needs to drive near the house to read it?
Yes most of them have been upgraded, but he still needs to get up to the top of the driveway. He cant do like UPS tells us to do and park 300 yards away at the bottom in order to avoid showing a back on a stupid Telematics report.

Dr.Brownz

When you type the address in the DIAD they show here, which should be typed in as you walk back from previous delivery. We don't have EDD here so maybe its different where you are.