Maybe getting rid of 2/3 isn't a good idea..

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Utahloader, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Utahloader

Utahloader Member

Nothing would pass, let's be honest. I don't agree with the newest contract, me a driver, and my wife a PT'er. She got the short end of the stick by far. I also agree most don't care to vote, or be active with our union. I just feel like it would never pass. Someone convince me otherwise?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of own destiny

If it is :censored2: that the UNION gives us. It should be voted down. The UNION used to represent the members. Now it is to get the millions it can get from UPS. Without that money. There would be no Teamsters. But, I think they just killed themselves. By taking away our right to vote. I don't care if 10 people voted. Then it passed or failed. The members have lost democracy. To bully liberals who steal votes away from all of us. This should scare everyone. They will eventually run into our national electorate.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Days

Days Active Member

They can change the language so that our union leaders can still pass it but there won’t be any justification to do. Hoffa passed this last one and pretty much used the 2/3rds rule as an excuse

4. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Want people to vote, it’s really easy.

Next contract put in the language that until there is 50% turnout, we will work under the current contract, with no retro pay even if raises are negotiated in the new contract.

Yes or no, you’ll get turnout none the less.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I am never one to bash the union but I totally get this . You cant stress the importance of voting to members to only turn over their votes .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  6. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

You think there would never be a simple majority yes vote on a contract? I'd say it's way less likely to vote down a national ups contract under the 50% 2/3 rule.

7. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Nothing would pass?

Only every other contract in the history of ups/teamsters has passed without using the 2/3 language.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Utahloader

Utahloader Member

Thats also when Teamsters were a hell of a lot more informed and on the same page. The new generation seems to want to vote no, no matter the contract. 50% turnout seems fair. If we can't get that turn out, we should continue under old contract with no retro pay. As a young driver it amazes me how many senior drivers know nothing, or don't care about our union. We need a spark, something to get people to care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  9. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Why is everyone raging on Hoffa/Hall ?

The impudent Ron Carey and TDU.... played their same old game.

Look what happened with the TDU "princess".

She took the money.... and run.

10. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

You can keep deferring

But, it’s really not helping your cause

Burr

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. BadIdeaGuy

BadIdeaGuy Don't discriminate against blind preloaders

Terrible argument.
    Stop bringing up what other people do.

Deal with the substance of the issue; don't just hide behind "well they did it too".
    Almost every issue I see you post on, you sidestep, and resort to ad hominems, or other deflections.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Brownslave688

And we wonder why there’s a disconnect between leadership and membership...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Staydryitsraining

Staydryitsraining Active Member

As a whole the union unless changed drastically in the next election is dead. Only place I can see it being worth a :censored2: is the north east.

14. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

As a retiree;

Do you wish.... you had done more.... when you had the chance ?

15. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of own destiny

What a.pathetic cop out. It is never about who was. It's all up to who is coming. The ones who came did great. It wasn't till weak (Hoffa) leaders started to sell out membership. For UPS money. To survive. Also would love to see if their bank accounts grew each contract yrs. You do see what is next? Ups owns the Teamsters union. It is up to them to end it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Brownslave688

Yep ups is the teamster golden goose. If/when the pensions die the teamsters die and ups is their only hope of propping up that up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Brownslave688

1) while there is a strong contingent that seems to want to just vote no I don’t think it’s anywhere near 50%

2) this contract had some really big legitimate reasons to vote no.

18. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

That’s water under the bridge

Let’s talk about what’s going on today

Are you doing all you can do or just riding coattails

Burr

19. lolbr

lolbr Active Member

I'll say it again. The 2/3 rule can and should be changed. Need to spread the word around, then one January put it up at a union meeting. After 3 months of it being read at the meetings, it would go up for a vote. Here's something to start with:

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

It's an unprecedented dynamic at UPS vs most other traditional vocations, where 65% of the members here are part timers....most of the indigent variety.

This antiquated 50%-two-thirds rule, if it ever had a place in our Union, for sure has no place in 21 century UPS contract negotiations.

It must be abolished.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List