Maybe getting rid of 2/3 isn't a good idea..

Crosscutters

My issue is the Union continuously saying a contract passed when it didn’t. The upstate New York supplement was voted DOWN 2-1 yet the press release from teamsters was New York supplement passes. No. No it didn’t. Teamsters enforced the contract after it failed to get to 50% participation. A big difference. But why let facts interfere? Let’s polish a turd and hope no one notices?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Simple majority of votes cast.
Getting a contract shoved down our throats because of language loopholes is of questionable integrity.
It is quite apparent just whom the union leadership is representing and it is not the members.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I sort of agree with the original poster as we live in an age where nobody is ever happy. It's a very sad state.
So you prefer a dictatorship or monarchy?

This rule, to me, seems more geared towards exploiting the notion that most people don't care (to vote), rather than that they are never "happy".

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Please explain.

What is the process for holding an elected representative accountible? They control the workings for such things. You can go to the nrlb after exhausting internal mechanisms, so maybe a year or two later something might happen. When our elected representativea violate the union constitution, how can a member challenge them?

Inthegame

What is the process for holding an elected representative accountible? They control the workings for such things. You can go to the nrlb after exhausting internal mechanisms, so maybe a year or two later something might happen. When our elected representativea violate the union constitution, how can a member challenge them?
Your answer is in your post. Other than using the "internal mechanism" process, elected representatives must stand for election every three years.

Jim Rockford

So..if the local riders are going to be imposed anyway...what power does the local have? What reason to UPS have to bargain at all?

wilberforce15

It's an unprecedented dynamic at UPS vs most other traditional vocations, where 65% of the members here are part timers....most of the indigent variety.

This antiquated 50%-two-thirds rule, if it ever had a place in our Union, for sure has no place in 21 century UPS contract negotiations.

It must be abolished.

Keep the voting rules, but abolish the setup where 65% of us are PT.

That's the problem, and the voting rules are a symptom.

If you want an active union, you need a reason for them to be active, and throwaway college work doesn't qualify.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So..if the local riders are going to be imposed anyway

When you say local riders, I'm assuming you mean Regional supplements.

what power does the local have?

As much power, as the members are willing to afford them.

It's only through member participation.... does any Local have power.

What reason does UPS have to bargain at all?

They are required by law under the NLRA.

National Labor Relations Act | NLRB | Public Website

but abolish the setup where 65% of us are PT.

That's been a work in progress since 1997.

If you want an active union, you need a reason for them to be active, and throwaway college work doesn't qualify.

That's a double edged sword.

In small outlying centers, a part-time job at UPS is premium job.

Unfortunately, the Union can't dictate to the company how to run their business.

What the Union can do.... is try and negotiate the best deal possible.... for all.

-Bug-

Integrity

Binge Poster
Keep the voting rules, but abolish the setup where 65% of us are PT.

That's the problem, and the voting rules are a symptom.

The 22.4 Lauguage although unpopular is clearly an attempt to prevent allowing part-time weekend driver jobs. It may be less of a job than a RPD but it is way better than part-time weekend jobs.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
When you say local riders, I'm assuming you mean Regional supplements.

As much power, as the members are willing to afford them.

It's only through member participation.... does any Local have power.

They are required by law under the NLRA.

National Labor Relations Act | NLRB | Public Website

That's been a work in progress since 1997.

That's a double edged sword.

In small outlying centers, a part-time job at UPS is premium job.

Unfortunately, the Union can't dictate to the company how to run their business.

What the Union can do.... is try and negotiate the best deal possible.... for all.

-Bug-

You can’t be serious

SMH