McDonald's pays more then UPS

People will say a part time job is just a stepping stone to full time, and the pay is low because these jobs are supposed to be temporary.

Then they'll also use a pension that takes 5 years to be vested and doesn't pay out till you're 65 to justify the low pay.

Can't have it both ways.
You should have a better than that. Our part timers could retire @ 50. One can choose to stay at ups or not. Pt would be the stepping stone to full time weather it being driving or mgmt.

I thought people weren't supposed to be able to live on part time wages? It's just a stepping stone to something better.....
Some work 2 jobs. Some work pt and work their own business. Some have a spouse working ft. Some go ft and get their pt pension.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Some work 2 jobs. Some work pt and work their own business. Some have a spouse working ft. Some go ft and get their pt pension.
And most work a few years and move on.

Weird how the union and the company got together and pushed this contract by bragging about pension money that most will never get....

And most work a few years and move on.

Weird how the union and the company got together and pushed this contract by bragging about pension money that most will never get....
People get to choose weather to stay or not. Ups should brag about all the money they pay for each employee. They have been talking about “total compensation for like 25 years now. Ups doesn’t get a refund, do they?

Of course not, your beloved Ponzi scheme wouldn't work if that happened.
10 cents an hour hardly supports a Ponzi scheme. Five years to be vested is pretty standard in pensions and 401K matches. At least in a 401k match, ups could get their money back.

If new money stopped coming in, how long would it be able to continue.....
Ya that's what I thought.
New money comes in @ $9-$10+ an hour for every participant. Payouts get adjusted for long term stability. How long does it take for a pension fund to fail? 20 years, 60 years, 100 years, 150 years?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
New money comes in @ $9-$10+ an hour for every participant. Payouts get adjusted for long term stability. How long does it take for a pension fund to fail? 20 years, 60 years, 100 years, 150 years?
If you think your pension fund will last 150 years without new money coming in you're completely delusional.

If you think your pension fund will last 150 years without new money coming in you're completely delusional.
New money comes in as contribution rates increase. If increases cease then payouts decrease in the future. I am asking you when my pension will fail?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
New money comes in as contribution rates increase. If increases cease then payouts decrease in the future. I am asking you when my pension will fail?
I'm sorry, I thought you were suggesting it wasn't a Ponzi scheme. Yes, you are correct, new money comes in to prop up the scheme, that's how it works.

Don't worry about the fact that you're in an industry facing massive automation..... I'm sure it will all work out for you.

I'm sorry, I thought you were suggesting it wasn't a Ponzi scheme. Yes, you are correct, new money comes in to prop up the scheme, that's how it works.

Don't worry about the fact that you're in an industry facing massive automation..... I'm sure it will all work out for you.
I need new money in my 401k also. Plus I need a job to contribute into my 401k.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I need new money in my 401k also. Plus I need a job to contribute into my 401k.
I'm not trying to convince you pensions are bad bro. That's like trying to convince a lifelong christian on his death bed that god doesn't exist. You've made your bed, you'll lie in it, mark my words.

What I am suggesting is either new part timers get a choice to control their money, or it's not actually their money. The union and the company need to stop lying to them and telling them the pension contributions are part of their compensation.

I'm not trying to convince you pensions are bad bro. That's like trying to convince a lifelong christian on his death bed that god doesn't exist. You've made your bed, you'll lie in it, mark my words.

What I am suggesting is either new part timers get a choice to control their money, or it's not actually their money. The union and the company need to stop lying to them and telling them the pension contributions are part of their compensation.
By definition, a pension is deferred compensation. Like an annuity for your life/spouse after employment. You want to control your investments? You can.