Mechanic requirements?

meowmix

Ive been working part time at my local hub for a while now and need something that well, pays more. I'm currectly working towards being a seasonal driver but after speaking with our buildings mechanic I became interested. Does anyone know what requirements there are for the mechanics? Like what kind of schooling and what not ?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Number one requirement would be being able to hide whenever someone wearing a brown uniform walks into the shop.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ive been working part time at my local hub for a while now and need something that well, pays more. I'm currectly working towards being a seasonal driver but after speaking with our buildings mechanic I became interested. Does anyone know what requirements there are for the mechanics? Like what kind of schooling and what not ?

can you write
“Parts on order ok to operate”
if so you’re hired

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

Do you have any experience? If not you will need to work for awhile somewhere else. Even if you go to a school like UTI they are going to want to see some real world experience, maybe work at Ryder or a place like that for awhile.

The job does pay well, it’s a little more than top driver rate but we make less then they do because they get unlimited OT. Benefits are the same and there is no part time or crap like that, you are hired off the street on a 2 year progression.

just to warn you it can be stressful at times. I was a flat rate mechanic for a long time so basically on commission and a bad :censored2: up or problem was coming out of my pocket and I find this job to be more stressful at times. Some days are easy, other days you have 6 bad writeups and @Yeet bothering you to change the tire he curbed and you only have a hour left in the day.

Number one requirement would be being able to hide whenever someone wearing a brown uniform walks into the shop.

Nope, he will be the new guy, no hiding for him.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

Number one requirement is learning how zip ties and duxt tape can fix any truck. Also coming up with any reason to not come get a broken down driver in less than 3 hours is highly encouraged.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our mechanic had the crappiest job in the center. His mechanic's bay was just the last stall on the sort table with no partishions or anything to keep the heat in in the winter. Laying on a creeper on the floor on a 25 below zero night wasn't any fun he always said. The building was on the edge of a swamp so in the summer it was full of mosquitoes and great big water beetles (4 or 5 inches long).

Indecisi0n

Our mechanic had the crappiest job in the center. His mechanic's bay was just the last stall on the sort table with no partishions or anything to keep the heat in in the winter. Laying on a creeper on the floor on a 25 below zero night wasn't any fun he always said. The building was on the edge of a swamp so in the summer it was full of mosquitoes and great big water beetles (4 or 5 inches long).
Tell us how bad you had it again back in your day.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

1) Learn to complain because your OT is limited.

2) Know directions to the nearest Kenworth dealership because all you know how to do is change oil and tires.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Do you smoke cigarettes?
Are you Houdini when someone is looking for you?
Is all you can do is tighten mirror racks?

Then ups mechanic is for you.

9D6A22E9-8392-4B7A-851E-88329455109F.jpeg

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Make fun of them all you want but they probably have more actual skill than any of us.

If something happens to UPS or I somehow got fired I know I can get a job at somewhat similar pay, I would be loosing out on benefits and maybe 3-5 per hour but it’s nothing compared to the drop off for a package car driver if he finds himself being walked out the gate. Even the feeder guys would be in for a big paycut.

quad decade guy

I have never been a mechanic at UPS. However, my understanding is they(mgt) are looking for fleet maintenance experience, as in commercial type vehicles. I have also been told mechanics cannot "bid" on any other "jobs" in the building. Something about a skilled position and this applies to P.E. mechanics also. No-one can bid on these jobs(mechanics)(by drivers/part timers etc) at a hub/building(here). Locally(here) some mechanics got to follow work to other buildings and so that might be a plus. So, I would think a part timer looking for a mechanic job would/might have to quit and apply(as stupid as that sounds) even if he holds down say a full time maintenance fleet mechanics job somewhere else. Maybe. I have been told absolutes all of my 40 year career but see them broken all the time. Without experience, virtually nil. They certainly wouldn't do on the job training. Now, being trans/lesbian...who knows? All of this could be circumvented based on local agreements. Or not. Now for the dispositions of said mechanics: Can be a surly group. Some have better dispositions than others(true of any position at UPS). Generally, (I think) they do a pretty good job. Some guys go above and beyond, some don't. Now, something that hasn't been mentioned really is the mgt. pressure on automotive. Road calls(missed pkgs.) and all of what can go wrong with vehicles draws quick and sharp discipline(from mild to severe) etc. The UPS way applies to everyone-even automotive. Mechanics(generally) are told what to do and how to do it(at UPS), stupidly, unsafely or anything else. When a driver(of any type) complains of mechanic behavior, it can be the individual or mgt. driven or a combination. Time and instruction by mgt. influences any mechanic at UPS(and anywhere else really). Want to see a mechanic get pissed off or crestfallen? Show up with a loaded whatever with a safety related electrical problem...in the rain. Again, some really great guys some not.

quad decade guy

We don’t allow anything up here to be outsourced, if it leaves the yard it gets grieved.

Wow. Here, it all gets outsourced. They used to do transmissions, engine rebuilds etc. They quit that years ago. Any kind of diagnostics are sent to the dealership asap(well sorta). Unless it's a PMI, off to the dealership. They won't work on rentals either. Our sleeper tractor is a Penske rental(all are I think). Any problem at all, you are sitting until Penske can get there. Wiper blades on up. Even if it causes missed service. To be clear: that's mgt. driven not the mechanics. See, it's that inner mgt. pissing contest between divisions. Not safety related? Write it up. It may or not get addressed. This is the way it is.