MGT won't let me work ...

Integrity

Binge Poster
55+ hours.... I demand for more stops but they won't do it... why not?

I'm trying to get close to 60hours a week.. but they send me out with a 9hr planned day... i thought they'd love to give me more work
BlackJack616,

On what grounds are you "demanding" more stops? Contractual?

The reason for the question is I don't know what basis you have for a complaint about this issue.

What did you say to your management team when "demanding" more stops?

What did the management team say in response to this "demand"?

If consulted prior I would have recommended talking politely with the management team, letting them know of your desire for more hours.

I then would have recommending asking for more hours politely.

I would have documented what you said and then what they said in response and taken it from there.

Sincerely,
I

PT Car Washer

55+ hours.... I demand for more stops but they won't do it... why not?

I'm trying to get close to 60hours a week.. but they send me out with a 9hr planned day... i thought they'd love to give me more work
We had a driver like you once. He would hound the driver sups everyday if another driver under him had more hours that day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
1. Come in on preload/reload and see if any sups are working. If so, ask to do the work, if they refuse, greive it.

2. Take all the late pickups from drivers in your area, somehow I think they'll accomodate you.

3. Work Saturdays, make sure that they are abiding by senority in scheduling for Saturday's when they need to utilize FTers.

4. Offer to do work everyone else turns down, ie. Trash OCAs, one shotting pickups, helping other drivers.

5. Do your job. Management isn't going to give slow drivers more work. By doing all the aforementioned extra things, you should rack in more miles/stops/pieces to help you plan up. Remember, if you plan to 11 and work 12.5 it's ok, if you plan 8 and work 9.5, they'll be all over you.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Well that's a first...while most of us are bitchin about working too many hours, you're begging for more. I'd be glad to let you have some of our work in my center. I'm not sure I really believe this thread but I'll bite...

I find it hard that you cannot stretch out a 55hr week into a 60hr week. I mean really that's only 5hrs more a week.
300 minutes a week, 60 minutes a day and you can't figure out how to stretch it out? Let me see if my math is right but if you spent just 2 minutes more on 30 stops throughout your day you would have your 5 extra hours and you're saying you can't find 30 stops in the day to "visit' more or give better customer service or take the long way? Hmmm...You need to start walking slower and sorting the truck more and driving slower. Do a really good pre-trip and post-trip, and stay hydrated a little more because you know staying hydrated is of the utmost importance to UPS.

Hey Scooby - we call that stealing (stretch it out)!

Bad Advice.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hey Scooby - we call that stealing (stretch it out)! Bad Advice.
Maybe so but if this thread is legit, here you have a guy who is begging to work 60hrs and yet is not given the opportunity but you have others would kill to have a 40-50hr work week and they push 60hrs 85% of the year. I call it stealing from my family and personal time when an incompetent dispatch sup claims your planned day is 9.5 hrs and it ends up being 10.5, 11, 11.5, and so on.

I read most your posts and appreciate your insight and am thankful that we have some members of management on here to (sometimes) tell "the other side of the story" but I will respectfully have to say that it's a crock of :censored2: if you want to be petty and call it stealing. C'mon Dragon, so a guy spends too much time at a stop with the customer building rapport...unless you're a robot, you are going to talk to your customer especially if you have been on a route for any length of time. It's a fact of UPS life and human nature. Driving slower, taking the proper walk paths (longways) instead of cutting across is stealing because we are doing what we are told? Are you going to tell me that all your drivers do a proper DOT pre / post trip on their vehicles?

If the guy were going home between stops and knocking one out with the old lady, going shopping, paying bills, napping, or anything else remotely like that stuff I would say yeah definitely stealing time but based on the OP's example, it sounds like he is trying to do all the work he possibly can for UPS while admittedly, most of us are trying to do the VERY LEAST! Bad advice, probably but my point was that if he really wanted to be worked like a slave and max out hrs, there is most certainly ways to do it.